Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

13 hours ago, FlatLander48 said:

NGL, This warmth tonight makes me want spring.

I felt that way too when I took my dog for a walk yesterday afternoon without a jacket. 

I’d rate this winter as a B- so far on the following conditions:

Good:

1) warning level snow that was all snow from start to finish and preceded and followed by arctic temperatures 

2) 2 advisory events with coatings of snow 

3) WSW with probably right around warning criteria ice imby

4) best extended cold stretch since January 2018

Bad:

1) December 

2) near misses on both advisory events and the ice storm where the system trended just too far west (that was a painful miss given modeling a few days prior. As was the one last weekend where we ended with a coating)

3) excellent pattern and still only half our seasonal snowfall 

4) being a bit of a snow hole compared to eastern and western areas

6 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I felt that way too when I took my dog for a walk yesterday afternoon without a jacket. 

I’d rate this winter as a B- so far on the following conditions:

Good:

1) warning level snow that was all snow from start to finish and preceded and followed by arctic temperatures 

2) 2 advisory events with coatings of snow 

3) WSW with probably right around warning criteria ice imby

4) best extended cold stretch since January 2018

Bad:

1) December 

2) near misses on both advisory events and the ice storm where the system trended just too far west (that was a painful miss given modeling a few days prior. As was the one last weekend where we ended with a coating)

3) excellent pattern and still only half our seasonal snowfall 

4) being a bit of a snow hole compared to eastern and western areas

B+ in Greensboro for a lot of the reasons stated, but we just had a bit more luck (and Climo on our side)

nohrsc_seasnow.us_ma.png

On 2/3/2022 at 3:04 PM, Brick Tamland said:

Another winter here with snow totals below 6 inches. 

screaming-screaming-man.gif

So, you're saying you already knew measurable snow was done as of Feb 3rd? Interesting. I'd like to know how you know this being that RDU's best major snow climo doesn't even start til mid-Feb and it goes through the first few days of March. Moreover, as of today in history, only 22 of the 47 6"+ RDU snowstorms on record have occurred by this date with 25 of them having occurred Feb 6th or later!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GaWx said:

So, you're saying you already knew measurable snow was done as of Feb 3rd? Interesting. I'd like to know how you know this being that RDU's best major snow climo doesn't even start til mid-Feb and it goes through the first few days of March. Moreover, as of today in history, only 22 of the 45 6"+ RDU snowstorms on record have occurred by this date with 23 of them having occurred Feb 6th or later!

I'd rather get snow earlier in winter when there's a better chance of the snow sticking around. By late Feb and March you can rest assured that the snow will be gone by the next day.

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

I'd rather get snow earlier in winter when there's a better chance of the snow sticking around. By late Feb and March you can rest assured that the snow will be gone by the next day.

I understand where you're coming from but there are some exceptions at RDU, for example, as regards 1"+ snowcover for, say, 3 days+ to keep hope alive even that late for snow to stick around awhile:

- Late Feb-early Mar 2015: 5 days

- Early Mar 1980: 4 days

- Early Mar 1969: 4 days

- Early to mid March 1960: 15 days 

- Early Mar 1927: 6 days

- Late Feb 1914: 3 days

- Early Mar 1912: 5 days

This feels weird… I’m actually gonna have to just survive on College Basketball as a hobby… I saw Snowshoe is supposed to get 6” or so (somehow) on GFS over next Weekend so atleast I can see that. I feel pretty sure we will get atleast 1 more ICE Storm threat at some point, but Big Ticket Snow I’m not sure at this point. I think our best opportunity for that would be a March 2009 type deal It’s rains for 12hrs then Boom switches to backside ULL/Deform, but as far as actual Gulf Lows Meh idk, I also think it’s over by the time Feb 20th rolls thru

On 2/3/2022 at 3:04 PM, Brick Tamland said:

Another winter here with snow totals below 6 inches. 

Why are you so surprised? Over time climate change will keep cutting the average snowfall down until we do not get any. We have been extremely blessed to get what we got this winter and should be grateful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, GaWx said:

So, you're saying you already knew measurable snow was done as of Feb 3rd? Interesting. I'd like to know how you know this being that RDU's best major snow climo doesn't even start til mid-Feb and it goes through the first few days of March. Moreover, as of today in history, only 22 of the 47 6"+ RDU snowstorms on record have occurred by this date with 25 of them having occurred Feb 6th or later!

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Snow dog said:

For upstate folks, Greenville especially, its been a GREAT winter, biggest snowfall in years, and  pretty consistently cold the whole month of January.  I have to give it an 'A'.

I wouldn't mind spring at this point...

January is an A- here but the rest of the winter is D or F. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

So December was an F. You aren’t rating February on the 7th day of the month right? 

As of today the rest of winter outside of January is a D or F. Here lately we seem to get a big storm or nothing. Back in the 2000s and 90s it seemed like there were a lot more 3 to 6 inch snow and sleet storms. Now its 8 to 16 inch big snows but only one per season..

I’m not going to complain bc I’ve got a decent hit from all the big ones in the that timeframe… but it’s almost always 2-3 inches of slop(except 5.5 inches with this last storm). But on the other hand 15-20 miles to my south has missed out almost entirely on all those storms. 

26 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

As of today the rest of winter outside of January is a D or F. Here lately we seem to get a big storm or nothing. Back in the 2000s and 90s it seemed like there were a lot more 3 to 6 inch snow and sleet storms. Now its 8 to 16 inch big snows but only one per season..

Winter is like super speedway racing, we sit thru the boring parts (90-95%), waiting for the big one.

I'd give December a C and January an A. I don't really expect anything in December except a stormy signal as we move into January. It was there, but delayed by a week longer than I was happy with. So the final grade was a B, but points were deducted for the late arrival :P  January was an A. MBY had just over 5" that stayed on the ground for 3 weeks thanks to the sleet and spots in the yard that get no sun :lol:. So as we head into the final days of winter, it stands as a solid B for me. :pimp:

December was a B for me, not really cold but fairly pleasant and January a solid A considering my climo. I am already above avg. for snowfall on the season, got to see my brother make a Sleetman, and had several weeks in a row with wintery precip, everything else is gravy from here on out

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

• jburns unpinned this topic