• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

Greg Fishel got a new gig.  Good for him :)

20211201-mdp03104*90xx1227-1636-286-0.jp
By Laura Brummett  –  Staff Writer, Triangle Business Journal
5 hours ago

Greg Fishel, the former longtime chief meteorologist at WRAL who left the station nearly three years ago, has a new job in North Carolina — and it’s with an HVAC company.

A favorite among WRAL viewers for decades, Fishel resigned from the station in February 2019. Since then, he has worked as a senior atmospheric scientist, moved to Florida, started a Facebook page dedicated to the weather and moved to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, according to his social media accounts.

His newest role is as a spokesperson for Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric, a Fayetteville-based company with operations in the Triangle. As an HVAC company, much of Blanton’s services rely heavily on weather forecasting, said Madison Creech, Blanton’s marketing coordinator. The company also installs generators, another seasonal business dependent on weather, she said.

“We thought that having our own weather person would be a fun way to get customers engaged,” she said. “Also, I think most people who grew up in this area know and love Greg Fishel, so that's kind of where the idea came from.”

Fishel couldn't be reached for comment.

He has already shot a commercial for the company. In it, he appears to be on a beach acting as Tom Hanks’ character in the film "Cast Away." Complete with a Wilson volleyball friend, Fishel is “found” by Blanton’s mascot, Coolidge. He then returns to what looks like a TV station and gives a weather report, shouting out Blanton’s heating technicians.

Screen shot of a commercial featuring Greg Fishel for Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric.

BLANTON'S C/O FACEBOOK

Fishel most recently worked for Priogen Energy as a senior atmospheric scientist from October 2019 till July 2020, according to his LinkedIn profile. In October 2020, he started a Facebook page titled “The O'fishel Weather - and other stuff PAGE.” The description says he uses it to share weather, climate and critical thinking tidbits to the page’s 20,000 followers.

Some of his posts describe him traveling across North Carolina and beyond “chasing” weather events. Most posts get thousands of likes, followed by hundreds of comments expressing users’ love for Fishel and his content. Many include his humor, such as this Jan. 15 post, “Snow in the Triangle is like the Mets winning the World Series. It's not unprecedented, but darn is it hard to pull off!”

Fishel started at WRAL in 1981 and became chief meteorologist in 1989. His sense of humor and weather reporting won the hearts of thousands of North Carolinians, making his departure from WRAL in 2019 shocking to many. At the time, Fishel gave a statement announcing that his resignation had been accepted.

“I have been facing many personal challenges over the last year, and these issues have impacted my ability to work effectively and professionally,” he said at the time. “I take full responsibility for my actions and intend on meeting these challenges head on.”

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Avdave said:

Greg Fishel got a new gig.  Good for him :)

20211201-mdp03104*90xx1227-1636-286-0.jp
By Laura Brummett  –  Staff Writer, Triangle Business Journal
5 hours ago

Greg Fishel, the former longtime chief meteorologist at WRAL who left the station nearly three years ago, has a new job in North Carolina — and it’s with an HVAC company.

A favorite among WRAL viewers for decades, Fishel resigned from the station in February 2019. Since then, he has worked as a senior atmospheric scientist, moved to Florida, started a Facebook page dedicated to the weather and moved to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, according to his social media accounts.

His newest role is as a spokesperson for Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric, a Fayetteville-based company with operations in the Triangle. As an HVAC company, much of Blanton’s services rely heavily on weather forecasting, said Madison Creech, Blanton’s marketing coordinator. The company also installs generators, another seasonal business dependent on weather, she said.

“We thought that having our own weather person would be a fun way to get customers engaged,” she said. “Also, I think most people who grew up in this area know and love Greg Fishel, so that's kind of where the idea came from.”

Fishel couldn't be reached for comment.

He has already shot a commercial for the company. In it, he appears to be on a beach acting as Tom Hanks’ character in the film "Cast Away." Complete with a Wilson volleyball friend, Fishel is “found” by Blanton’s mascot, Coolidge. He then returns to what looks like a TV station and gives a weather report, shouting out Blanton’s heating technicians.

Screen shot of a commercial featuring Greg Fishel for Blanton’s Air, Plumbing & Electric.

BLANTON'S C/O FACEBOOK

Fishel most recently worked for Priogen Energy as a senior atmospheric scientist from October 2019 till July 2020, according to his LinkedIn profile. In October 2020, he started a Facebook page titled “The O'fishel Weather - and other stuff PAGE.” The description says he uses it to share weather, climate and critical thinking tidbits to the page’s 20,000 followers.

Some of his posts describe him traveling across North Carolina and beyond “chasing” weather events. Most posts get thousands of likes, followed by hundreds of comments expressing users’ love for Fishel and his content. Many include his humor, such as this Jan. 15 post, “Snow in the Triangle is like the Mets winning the World Series. It's not unprecedented, but darn is it hard to pull off!”

Fishel started at WRAL in 1981 and became chief meteorologist in 1989. His sense of humor and weather reporting won the hearts of thousands of North Carolinians, making his departure from WRAL in 2019 shocking to many. At the time, Fishel gave a statement announcing that his resignation had been accepted.

“I have been facing many personal challenges over the last year, and these issues have impacted my ability to work effectively and professionally,” he said at the time. “I take full responsibility for my actions and intend on meeting these challenges head on.”

Lawd… just the link would of been fine.

1 hour ago, PantherJustin said:

Well atleast we can hope this thing bust Tomm too… would be hilarious if All of New England got like 6-8” the meltdown would be hilarious 

why would people being disappointed be hilarious?  I hope it dumps on someone and they get to make memories they'll cherish for a lifetime.

• Like 3

• jburns unpinned this topic