Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The OT format for the NFL is long past the need for revising.

Too huge of an advantage for the coin toss winner. Chiefs/Bills was literally determined by a coin toss.

It's the playoffs. Why not just put 15 more minutes on the clock, whoever is ahead at the end wins, 15 more if tied? It's not that hard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

It's the playoffs. Why not just put 15 more minutes on the clock, whoever is ahead at the end wins, 15 more if tied? It's not that hard. 

While I agree to some extent, your assessment assumes the other team cannot field a defense thar can keep the other team out of the end zone. All they needed was one stop and they couldn’t get it. It’s a 2 sided game not just offense. I like the revised format where a FG doesn’t win it like it used to on your first possession (start with good field position drive 15 yards kick a 50 yarder) but, last night is a perfect example, if your defense cannot keep the other team out of the end zone when they absolutely need it, that team does not deserve to win

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

While I agree to some extent, your assessment assumes the other team cannot field a defense thar can keep the other team out of the end zone. All they needed was one stop and they couldn’t get it. It’s a 2 sided game not just offense. I like the revised format where a FG doesn’t win it like it used to on your first possession (start with good field position drive 15 yards kick a 50 yarder) but, last night is a perfect example, if your defense cannot keep the other team out of the end zone when they absolutely need it, that team does not deserve to win

The thing is, neither could the KC defense keep the Bills out of the endzone, thus the argument that a coin toss should not carry so much weight in deciding the outcome..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Had the Bills won that toss, the shoe is on the other foot. Too much of an advantage rests on a flip.

42 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I do kinda agree. Problem is, so many rules these days favor offenses. I think overall, the rule is reasonably fair, in terms of giving each team equal chances of success. People also don't consider that all else being equal, a teams chance of winning after winning the toss is lower than the opposing team's chance of winning if they get a defensive stop.

I think the reality though is that sports first and foremost are about entertainment. And the opportunity to see both teams go up and down the field a couple times with a clean slate is way more exciting than when one star QB capitalizes on his team's chance at the exclusion of the other star QB

Another thing that I think is stupid is having divisions in baseball. Why not just have one division in each league? It's not fair for some teams to be stuck in harder divisions than others. Then again, I guess MLB is more concerned about entertainment than fairness.

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Had the Bills won that toss, the shoe is on the other foot. Too much of an advantage rests on a flip.

12 minutes ago, FlatLander48 said:

I agree with this, though I'd make it more like 10 minutes. Everyone gets two timeouts and one challenge maybe?

I think my point is you’re assuming every OT game is an offensive shootout when many are 9-9 or 12-12 low scoring contests where playing an extra quarter is likely to result in not much scoring. At some point in football your professional defense needs to earn their paycheck and stop the other team. There had to be a winner and the bills had their chance. Just hold them to a dang FG and by your logic they’d win bc they’d score a TD. I absolutely don’t think playing another quarter of football would’ve been beneficial besides likely causing more injuries to the team going to the conference championship putting them at a disadvantage going in

1 minute ago, Snownado said:

No. The other team has an another opportunity to match them.

I see a problem here. The program seems to be stuck in a loop. :)

Besides it is never completely fair.  If team one scores team two knows it now does not have to worry about punting on fourth down so it has 4 plays to get each first down on its drive instead of three.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jburns said:

I see a problem here. The program seems to be stuck in a loop. :)

Besides it is never completely fair.  If team one scores team two knows it now does not have to worry about punting on fourth down so it has 4 plays to get each first down on its drive instead of three.

I like beer. :) 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Snow dog said:

IMO, collage football has the OT correct.  To make going last fair, each team switches turns going first.,.

I like the college football model for college. The only problem I have with it is it’s gimmicky. It doesn’t force a team to drive. Running plays inside the redzone is a heck of a lot simpler than driving down the field to get to the redzone. I don’t like it for the NFL 

16 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I like the college football model for college. The only problem I have with it is it’s gimmicky. It doesn’t force a team to drive. Running plays inside the redzone is a heck of a lot simpler than driving down the field to get to the redzone. I don’t like it for the NFL 

I've always thought a college system from further back would suit the NFL well. Drives start at midfield or the opposite 40, forcing teams to have to get a first down or two to even attempt a field goal, and it's far enough back the whole playbook is open including deep. Other than that rules are the same as college, trade possessions until there is a winner.

18 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I agree with your point about long drives but the main issue with overtime is fairness. Guaranteed red zone chances would be more fair than the current setup. 

2 hours ago, jburns said:

It certainly better than the NFL.

My biggest pet peeve is when people say “Well they could of stopped them!”… 

Sure Buffalo could of stopped them from scoring a touchdown… but the argument is we NEVER got to see if the Chiefs could stop the Bills. 

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic