• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

This was the all time worst though... Forecasted for 4-6 inches. Got a feather dusting. Places to my west and south got 4-6. Places to my east... well... screw those guys!
1479576424_ScreenShot2022-01-19at5_57_29PM.png.49073361b6aa801424ebb0f8125f7664.png

Now THAT is the Oconee Snowhole if I have ever seen it. If it ever makes it’s way into a textbook someday, they need this as a graphic.

2 hours ago, burrel2 said:

This was the all time worst though... Forecasted for 4-6 inches. Got a feather dusting. Places to my west and south got 4-6. Places to my east... well... screw those guys!

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 5.57.29 PM.png

I live just south of Charlotte and we were shut down for a week after that storm. I doubt I’ll ever see anything like that again in my life as long as I love here. Yet for some stupid reason, every possible storm on the horizon I hope inside will be just like this…

Funny thing is my family moved down from Iowa in 1987 thinking they’d get away from snow and less than a year later Charlotte had its second biggest snow all time in 1988. This 2004 storm was “officially” less than that storm for one day snow but we ended up with over 16” in total at our house. Sad how exciting just 2-4” is now after being here for a storm like that. 

And yea burrel that Bermuda snow triangle you live in is crazy. I’ve hung around this board for years, never contributed much, and seen that happen to you over and over again.

Buh Bye!!  This one will take a few pills and drinks to get over.  A lot of mets jumped early and will be left trying to explain a dusting lighter than the film on a glass top table after an all night bender at the local crack house off of Mountain Street in K-Vegas.  But that's all heresay anyway, kind of like talk of snowstorms in eastern Carolina.  :P

As I said earlier, this is probably the yearly non-event that keeps us all grounded in the fact that we live in the southeast and it's winter.  They don't go together like Forrest Gump and Jennie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerchick224 said:

Now THAT is the Oconee Snowhole if I have ever seen it. If it ever makes it’s way into a textbook someday, they need this as a graphic.

I would have literally admitted myself to a psych ward if that happened to me! How does that even happen! I was living in Philly during that storm but mom was living Mooresville on the Iredell/Rowan County line. She racked up 14" from that storm. 

36 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

It’s one thing for a storm to trend north or south… but this storm has been modeled to crush somebody for a week straight consistently… and 48 hours before go time, poof? 

Was in philly(20yrs ago) and every station was calling for up to 2 FEET of snow... the storm never formed as they had forecast.  Snow isnt as difficult to forecast up there. All that to say it happens... it also happens the other way around. Lived in NoDa and had a surprise 9" imby around 1998 or 99. Ballantyne had 16".. seems that may have been the yr Raleigh had over 20inches. That storm was a surprise.  I will still be watching radar Friday for nowcasting

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

It’s one thing for a storm to trend north or south… but this storm has been modeled to crush somebody for a week straight consistently… and 48 hours before go time, poof? 

And the local mets are probably praying something happens after they sounded the alarm earlier today. If not the public won't have much confidence in them in the future. Not saying that's right,  but that's how it will be.

• Weenie 2

We all need to take a moment to bask in the glory days of this hobby. As much as I lament it sometimes, there is still excitement in the chase, and checking in on models every 4-6 hours.
In 20 years, the guesswork will probably be gone, and largely, so will this hobby.
Nah, the atmosphere is always in motion, it does not abide by absolutes

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

Okay, let's do this! No matter what happens, it's just snow. Or no snow. Anyway, my son's basketball team that I coach won by 20 tonight against a team that beat us the first time we played them, and everyone on the team scored a basket, too. I'm thinking we need to set up a full court press on the NAM to get some turnovers and start coming back by feeding the Euro. Let's go! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerchick224 said:

1 hour ago, 85snowline said:

I would have literally admitted myself to a psych ward if that happened to me! How does that even happen! I was living in Philly during that storm but mom was living Mooresville on the Iredell/Rowan County line. She racked up 14" from that storm. 

The saddest part may be that this happens over and over to the western upstate with certain setups. -The Carolina Crusher everyone gushes over was the exact same thing; complete skip job. Greenwood up to CLT big snow, NW upstate flurries. -Feb 2014 huge snow for everyone...couple inches of slop here; and I remember one spot with no accumulation at all. Other storms like Dec 2010 very little. Dec 2018 saw huge snows in NGA, NC, and Eastern upstate up to 1ft. NW upstate... couple of inches. It can be tough. And I'm actually in a much better spot than Burrel for whatever reason.

We've had some wins too; Jan 87, 88, Jan 96, Jan 2011, March 93, and this past week. But we have a ton of misses and it hard to get a big dog.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

The saddest part may be that this happens over and over to the western upstate with certain setups. -The Carolina Crusher everyone gushes over was the exact same thing; complete skip job. Greenwood up to CLT big snow, NW upstate flurries. -Feb 2014 huge snow for everyone...couple inches of slop here; and I remember one spot with no accumulation at all. Other storms like Dec 2010 very little. Dec 2018 saw huge snows in NGA, NC, and Eastern upstate up to 1ft. NW upstate... couple of inches. It can be tough. And I'm actually in a much better spot than Burrel for whatever reason.

We've had some wins too; Jan 87, 88, Jan 96, Jan 2011, March 93, and this past week. But we have a ton of misses and it hard to get a big dog.

I didn't fare very well here in Concord. Snow was beautiful from apprix 2am-8am Then It was a sleet fest from 8am until it stopped. Then about a half inch of snow with the ULL.  3" TOPS all together. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

The local mets are really going to take a hit with the public saying the snow chances are increasing to we're not getting anything in less than 24 hours. Now if they have to change tune again today, oh boy. 

I know haha I saved some screenshots from WRAL over the last 24 hours. “Biggest storm in 3 years” “Increasing snowfall for the Triangle”

20 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I know haha I saved some screenshots from WRAL over the last 24 hours. “Biggest storm in 3 years” “Increasing snowfall for the Triangle”

I think it was actually a 12 hour period where they went from increasing snowfall to maybe nothing yesterday. As soon as they started saying increasing snowfall yesterday morning the models went the other way. Brutal. 

• jburns unpinned this topic