Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

2 minutes ago, rduwx said:

I was thinking about this earlier.  I believe I've seen every bad trend there is since I started this hobby almost 20 years ago but I don't think I've ever had a positive trend.  This one ranks up there as far as gut punches though...LOL!  

March 2009 comes to mind for me. ULL was all over the place and then at the last second folks along I-85 cashed in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, burgertime said:

But do they work on government contracts? By the way as global warming becomes more and more of an issue weather models are going to be more and more important. That should bring budgets but it will also bring a lot of secrecy. The government isn't just going to hire any contractor to work on NSA servers for instance. Also congress has proven over and over again that when it comes to NOAA they will not approve anything unless they are forced to because of some catastrophic event. 

I have a world for the way modeling has handled this system and it's also "catastrophic". Amazes me we are 48 hours before a event and the models are clueless. May as well use the ETA. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Tony Sisk said:

my Mama used to tell me to never eat from the first snowfall.  I mean, I didn't realize then that we didn't have many options. Sometimes, there is no snowfall....you better take advantage on all snowfalls!

My Mama said the same thing. Something about the first snowfall cleaning the air of pollution (old wives' tale?) That was back when we got some awesome storms growing up in the northeastern Piedmont of NC in the 70s. There was always the next storm for snow cream. 

Now that I am in upstate SC, we get our snow cream when we can - with air pollution sprinkles, if need be.

• Like 2

I understand everyone's frustrations about not being in the epicenter of the upcoming storm. Living in Southeastern North Carolina i was this happen to us all the time. Models come in showing a good hit then boom the inevitable NW trend or warm nose comes along. It has been many many years since Southeastern North Carolina has seen a decent winter storm. 

3 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

I understand everyone's frustrations about not being in the epicenter of the upcoming storm. Living in Southeastern North Carolina i was this happen to us all the time. Models come in showing a good hit then boom the inevitable NW trend or warm nose comes along. It has been many many years since Southeastern North Carolina has seen a decent winter storm. 

Remember the Blizzard of December 1989? I was a student in Wilmington at UNCW. I left quickly to go home for Christmas just before it started, and when I came back to Wilmington, I had to shovel my way to my apartment door. The drifts were all of the way to my doorknob. It was glorious!

3 minutes ago, Kimmie said:

Remember the Blizzard of December 1989? I was a student in Wilmington at UNCW. I left quickly to go home for Christmas just before it started, and when I came back to Wilmington, I had to shovel my way to my apartment door. The drifts were all of the way to my doorknob. It was glorious!

Here it is:

https://www.weather.gov/ilm/ChristmasSnow1989

The most recent epic knife to the heart I've experienced was Feb 2014.  literally everyone in a circle around me got 6-10 inches or more and somehow I  managed to get 2 inches of mostly sleet that melted the next day. NWS had me getting 9-14 inches as the event was starting.

Just want to add this screw hole had nothing to do with lee side warm eddies or anything like that. It was purely bad luck as the fronto band stalled just to my south for hours dumping on those people, then by the time the band shifted north the 800mb warm nose had advanced just past my house, where it stalled allowing people just to my east and north to get hammered with snow while I got sleet. Then the back side stuff minima'd me to cap off the event.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 5.47.17 PM.png

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, burgertime said:

March 2009 comes to mind for me. ULL was all over the place and then at the last second folks along I-85 cashed in. 

Big time. Even heard thunder that night. That was the first time our sons experienced snow as we had just moved to Lyman from Charleston.

1 hour ago, timnc910 said:

It is not even about being in the epicenter. We weren't to begin with. A nice 4-6 here has vaporized to maybe a dusting.

• Like 1

We (I) try to be good natured about it, but it is difficult to describe the depth of the shaft that snow loving residents of Raleigh and southern Wake County have gotten for the past 5 or 6 years. Blanking on this storm would be a colossal gut punch. One of the biggest. That can’t possibly happen, can it? Tell me you love me!

1 hour ago, burrel2 said:

This was the all time worst though... Forecasted for 4-6 inches. Got a feather dusting. Places to my west and south got 4-6. Places to my east... well... screw those guys!

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 5.57.29 PM.png

One of the best snowstorms for me! I lived in Hickory and it just kept coming and coming. Never will forget it as 2-4 inches was all that was forecasted by the local mets......

I completely understand why weather enthusiasts get so disappointed, and frustrated, when model trends move towards a less desirable solution.   

That said, I’d simply like to note that as good as computer modeling has become over the past few decades, they will never be able to 100% accurately account for all the complexities involved in the atmospheric processes that lead to such weather phenomena.  

With that in mind, It’s important to also remember that the significant strides we’ve made in weather forecasting over the past few decades has been the result of enhanced computer modeling…without which, forecasts would result in far greater errors.  

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic