Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

The foliage is 100% primed and ready to go. The minute we get the first frost, it's off to the races. I'm guessing chlorophyll lifespan has a lot to do with sun angle. It has been wet and warm, but the chlorophyll has been steadily fading. 

Leaf-out was early here due to the warm spring, so if the above is a player the colors might come earlier than what folks would expect given September temps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Patriot21 said:

I am becoming less and less of a summer person. I bet that'll change as I get older though. 

Everyone gets sick of excessive heat and humidity as they get older; I see them talking about it all the time in our main subforum threads.  With age, it just gets harder to handle extremes like that.

• Like 1

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2021/09/07/feds-investigate-three-vermont-troopers-in-fake-vaccination-card-probe

I dont get the point of this. Where is a vax card even required outside of international travel? I loosely know one of these guys, just strange as it says VT state police doesn't require it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2021/09/07/feds-investigate-three-vermont-troopers-in-fake-vaccination-card-probe

I dont get the point of this. Where is a vax card even required outside of international travel? I loosely know one of these guys, just strange as it says VT state police doesn't require it.

Yeah man, what a hill to die on.  Of all the things you could get fired or resigned for... producing fake vax cards?  I'm a big VSP fan, and law enforcement in general, but that's a bad look for VSP that has now gone to national news this evening.

Credibility is a trooper's number one attribute usually.  It's their word against the defendant's.  If their truthfulness comes into question, a lawyer might have a field day with this on previous cases too.  I mean you are producing a lying document or statement whether you believe in it or not.  Personal views are often removed from policing.  

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man, what a hill to die on.  Of all the things you could get fired or resigned for... producing fake vax cards?  I'm a big VSP fan, and law enforcement in general, but that's a bad look for VSP that has now gone to national news this evening.

Credibility is a trooper's number one attribute usually.  It's their word against the defendant's.  If their truthfulness comes into question, a lawyer might have a field day with this on previous cases too.  I mean you are producing a lying document or statement whether you believe in it or not.  Personal views are often removed from policing.  

Yea, I'm mean an entire career thrown down the tube for fake vax cards? I'm guessing there is more to the story that we don't know about, because on face value it just makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I'm mean an entire career thrown down the tube for fake vax cards? I'm guessing there is more to the story that we don't know about, because on face value it just makes no sense.

Agreed. These guys usually don’t mess around in stuff that can become problems that easily.  Something is going on, to have 3 resignations with very few details… there’s more to the story.

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Agreed. These guys usually don’t mess around in stuff that can become problems that easily.  Something is going on, to have 3 resignations with very few details… there’s more to the story.

I think you guys would be surprised by some of the “quality” in the VSP.  I don’t work directly with VSP but we’ve had former troopers on our staff and they’ve had some real stories. They have their share of real winners too. 

16 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Everyone gets sick of excessive heat and humidity as they get older; I see them talking about it all the time in our main subforum threads.  With age, it just gets harder to handle extremes like that.

I can understand that as well. It can be draining at times, especially when the sun is so strong like it is around here in the summer. 

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

I think you guys would be surprised by some of the “quality” in the VSP.  I don’t work directly with VSP but we’ve had former troopers on our staff and they’ve had some real stories. They have their share of real winners too. 

Law enforcement tries to avoid the doofuses and "badge-heavy" people, but as in any organization, some slip in anyway.

.58" for this last rain event.  Brings me up to 2.02" for the month and 3.59"  since August 1rst.  Everyone south of me and complain of endless excessive rain but sure not here.  I hope when SNE finally gets into a dry pattern it is not compounded up here with us going from fairly dry back to drought.

55 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

.58" for this last rain event.  Brings me up to 2.02" for the month and 3.59"  since August 1rst.  Everyone south of me and complain of endless excessive rain but sure not here.  I hope when SNE finally gets into a dry pattern it is not compounded up here with us going from fairly dry back to drought.

i'm at just about 30" since May 1, 10" since August 1. it's wet.

I was leaving my office, looked out toward the Greens, and was struck by what I saw.  You’ve got clouds in the 3,500’ – 4,000’ elevation range skimming along the summits, and for the first time in a while, the clouds have some of that “cold season” look.  I see temperatures in the 40s F and winds near 40 F as well, so that makes sense.

16 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was leaving my office, looked out toward the Greens, and was struck by what I saw.  You’ve got clouds in the 3,500’ – 4,000’ elevation range skimming along the summits, and for the first time in a while, the clouds have some of that “cold season” look.  I see temperatures in the 40s F and winds near 40 F as well, so that makes sense.

Full on winter-like upslope day at Mansfield.  Gusty NW winds had the Gondola running on reduced speed all day, about 0.30” water compared to less than a tenth in town, and temps in the mid-50s base area.

Mark it down, today was the first day I felt “cold” in a while :lol: having to warm up inside from time to time.  Car had 55F leaving the Mansfield lot.

65F51F0D-8211-4D23-BF5F-456DDB79BF6B.jpeg.ae6dbfa81f87af1b09da353f3f44d685.jpeg

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Full on winter-like upslope day at Mansfield.  Gusty NW winds had the Gondola running on reduced speed all day, about 0.30” water compared to less than a tenth in town, and temps in the mid-50s base area.

Mark it down, today was the first day I felt “cold” in a while :lol: having to warm up inside from time to time.  Car had 55F leaving the Mansfield lot.

65F51F0D-8211-4D23-BF5F-456DDB79BF6B.jpeg.ae6dbfa81f87af1b09da353f3f44d685.jpeg

Feels chilly down here tonight too, definately fall like.

52 minutes ago, alex said:

I wonder if anyone know what the record for late frost for Whitefield is? Looks like no frost for at least another week... Seems really late! Not complaining, just curious. My plants are still outside and I don't want to get caught!

Not sure on frost, the data BTV keeps is "freeze" climatology... but even the notorious cold pockets like Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are decently into October for record late.

Like the mean first freeze at Saranac Lake is September 10th (so already passed) but record early is August 20 and late is October 13.  So there's a pretty wide range of possibilities there it seems.

Island Pond, VT is similar first/last wide range.... late August to mid-October with a mean in mid-September.

Again that's 32F freeze climo, not necessarily frost which can happen in the mid-30s.

I would assume those cold spots could be comparable to HIE, so likely late record 32F maybe in that October 5-15 range?

Just now, alex said:

Thanks PF! That seems reasonable. Freeze is what I worry about the most... Most things can handle a bit of frost!

Actually I pulled the ASOS numbers... of course the ASOS only started in 1996.  The later October dates in the BTV dataset appear to be from a few years in the 1970s. 

But since 1996 the latest 32F has been September 26, 2015.  One would imagine had it been there longer though you'd have seen some October dates show up.

Untitled.jpg.b7528f61f7387f9cbbaf8e92b8c2fca9.jpg

Thought I would share my attempted Presidential Traverse this past Friday and Saturday. We camped out at Crawford Notch Campground Thursday night in the rain. Then woke up at 5am Friday morning dropped one car off at the Highland Center and made our way to the Appalachia Trailhead. Our hike started off with a light mist and 60 degrees at the Appalachia Trailhead in Randolph. We immediately ran into brutal conditions above tree-line on our first summit attempt, Mount Madison. Rain and 50 mph winds with 50 feet of visibility quickly put a damper on our trek. Originally we were hoping to make it all the way across Washington the first day and stay at Lakes of the Clouds hut, then finish the southern part of the traverse Saturday. Winds were only supposed to increase throughout the day Friday into the night so we decided it would be safer to try and bail into the Madison Spring Hut for the night. After summiting Madison we carefully scampered our way down the wet rocks in what felt like 40 degree hurricane conditions. Thankfully the Madison Hut was able to switch our reservation from Lakes and we stayed the night. The wind overnight at Madison hut (4800 feet at tree line) was incredible to hear as I checked and saw Washington was gusting to 90. Wind chills were in the single digits and the hut has no heat so we could easily see our breath. The following morning we realized our traverse attempt would be too much to bite off for one day so we decided on trying to summit Adams and Jefferson. Started the morning in snow pants and a jacket with higher spirits since it was dry but sadly both summits were socked in and still blowing hard. There were some nice views to be had a bit lower down. Made it back to the car where it was a calm 70 and sunny, and headed over to the Omni Resort for some drinks and food. By the time we got there the summits were completely in the clear and even looked like they were giving us a nice middle finger. Lol. All in all it was an experience and the Presidential’s always amaze me every time I visit with the drastic difference in climate in the alpine and sheer size of the mountains. The Madison hut saved our asses and the food was fantastic. I would definitely recommend the hut experience and I can’t wait to give it another go next year!

27F8A484-D988-49FF-A3FB-9DF1683DDA85.jpeg

08EB2710-3437-4714-8792-458EF524BA02.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

Thought I would share my attempted Presidential Traverse this past Friday and Saturday. We camped out at Crawford Notch Campground Thursday night in the rain. Then woke up at 5am Friday morning dropped one car off at the Highland Center and made our way to the Appalachia Trailhead. Our hike started off with a light mist and 60 degrees at the Appalachia Trailhead in Randolph. We immediately ran into brutal conditions above tree-line on our first summit attempt, Mount Madison. Rain and 50 mph winds with 50 feet of visibility quickly put a damper on our trek. Originally we were hoping to make it all the way across Washington the first day and stay at Lakes of the Clouds hut, then finish the southern part of the traverse Saturday. Winds were only supposed to increase throughout the day Friday into the night so we decided it would be safer to try and bail into the Madison Spring Hut for the night. After summiting Madison we carefully scampered our way down the wet rocks in what felt like 40 degree hurricane conditions. Thankfully the Madison Hut was able to switch our reservation from Lakes and we stayed the night. The wind overnight at Madison hut (4800 feet at tree line) was incredible to hear as I checked and saw Washington was gusting to 90. Wind chills were in the single digits and the hut has no heat so we could easily see our breath. The following morning we realized our traverse attempt would be too much to bite off for one day so we decided on trying to summit Adams and Jefferson. Started the morning in snow pants and a jacket with higher spirits since it was dry but sadly both summits were socked in and still blowing hard. There were some nice views to be had a bit lower down. Made it back to the car where it was a calm 70 and sunny, and headed over to the Omni Resort for some drinks and food. By the time we got there the summits were completely in the clear and even looked like they were giving us a nice middle finger. Lol. All in all it was an experience and the Presidential’s always amaze me every time I visit with the drastic difference in climate in the alpine and sheer size of the mountains. The Madison hut saved our asses and the food was fantastic. I would definitely recommend the hut experience and I can’t wait to give it another go next year!

27F8A484-D988-49FF-A3FB-9DF1683DDA85.jpeg

08EB2710-3437-4714-8792-458EF524BA02.jpeg

Quite an adventure.  Probably should have just knocked Phin's door in Randolph and hung out on his deck for the weekend.

• Haha 1