Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ouch Alex  30F?   I guess you have learned by now that your true frost free period is about June 10th to August 10th.  Would you agree?  At least it killed off the remaining black flies.  Their season has now passed here.

Yeah I'm very annoyed. I just put out some squash plants and they look fried. Grrrrr

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ouch Alex  30F?   I guess you have learned by now that your true frost free period is about June 10th to August 10th.  Would you agree?  At least it killed off the remaining black flies.  Their season has now passed here.

In my northern Maine experience the not0infrequent June frosts had no effect on the blackfly populations.  Frozen dew atop the Forester this morning though the thermometer only got down to 33.  We never set out the warm-wx plants until a few days into June.  Median day for lst spring frost is May 24.  Though ours is a frost-pocket location, it's probably not as cold on still mornings as Alex's place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Sooo...less than a month until we start losing daylight again 

Sucks.  I love this time of year.  It’s legit light enough out to be like walking the dog until 9pm by natural light.

If I could get winter weather with summer length of day... that’s my dream lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sucks.  I love this time of year.  It’s legit light enough out to be like walking the dog until 9pm by natural light.

If I could get winter weather with summer length of day... that’s my dream lol.

That's what I love about this time of year too.  I've often ended up holing out on the 18th with just enough light to see the flagstick.

2 minutes ago, alex said:

What’s up with the ticks this year? They are out of control. Not much in the way of flies yet... but the ticks are ridiculous 

That's interesting, because I have noticed last few days zero ticks here, even out in the tall grass of my field. Last year this time they were all over me.

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's interesting, because I have noticed last few days zero ticks here, even out in the tall grass of my field. Last year this time they were all over me.

I haven't seen a tick but have had plenty of black flies and bugs over the past week on the mountain.  Bugs are bad right now when the wind calms down and it's warm.  Especially the mid-slope elevations right now.  Peaks seem bug free, but that upper hardwood forest is pretty ripe for insects.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I haven't seen a tick but have had plenty of black flies and bugs over the past week on the mountain.  Bugs are bad right now when the wind calms down and it's warm.  Especially the mid-slope elevations right now.  Peaks seem bug free, but that upper hardwood forest is pretty ripe for insects.

Yeah, the flies are chewing up my kids pretty bad right now.

Gonna need to break the down jacket back out. I remember 2013. I was working for the DCR in Worcester. One of my coworkers always coordinated a camping weekend in the White Mtns, Memorial Day Weekend. She invited me, and I declined. They all got snowed on and froze their drunk a$$es off...

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Gonna need to break the down jacket back out. I remember 2013. I was working for the DCR in Worcester. One of my coworkers always coordinated a camping weekend in the White Mtns, Memorial Day Weekend. She invited me, and I declined. They all got snowed on and froze their drunk a$$es off...

That was snow was in my top 5 lifetime weather events.  Rain flipped to snow around 6pm.  Then 3 hours of snow thunderstorms.  Not one or two bangs but dozens and dozens.  Huge parachute snow that accumulated 3" in about 3 hours at 33ish.  Lost power but what a fun and surprising snow for me.

• Like 1

When I was out in the yard earlier this morning, we started to get a bit of rain, but I hadn’t seen anything notable on the radar earlier.  When I checked later it had the look of upslope showers with a northwest flow, which I don’t think we’ve seen here at our site in at least a couple of weeks.  It’s still relative mild out there right now, but that flow definitely gives it a bit of an autumnal feel.  On a somewhat related note, I see that the BTV NWS has also put out a Frost Advisory here for tonight, so folks in the area might need to cover up if they’ve put any early plants out.

27MAY21A.gif

On 5/24/2021 at 6:31 PM, mreaves said:

That's what I love about this time of year too.  I've often ended up holing out on the 18th with just enough light to see the flagstick.

Doesnt get better than standing on the 18th tee with the sun setting, the air cools and you're having a good round. Dont have many perfect days like that but love to drink it all in.

The storm that will be passing by to the south looks cold for the end of May.  Maybe we can yank it north 50 miles?  If heavier qpf could get up to the high Whites I would think snow level would be quite low.  850mb below freezing even 925mb would be pretty close.

I need the rain so have been watching the northern edge each run.  Sharp cutoff through my area.

snow1.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The storm that will be passing by to the south looks cold for the end of May.  Maybe we can yank it north 50 miles?  If heavier qpf could get up to the high Whites I would think snow level would be quite low.  850mb below freezing even 925mb would be pretty close.

I need the rain so have been watching the northern edge each run.  Sharp cutoff through my area.

snow1.jpg

I would love for this to be moved a bit north as well.  I would love to get an inch plus of QPF instead of less than .10.  My soil is dry- even after yesterday,

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 6:31 PM, mreaves said:

Love teeing off on 18 and then not even knowing where it really went, most likely not in the  fairway..:lol:  Then just doing a ball drop in the middle of fairway as its too dark to find it..ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Got .44" last night. Decent little drink. Would like a little bump north to stay in the good stuff for Fri-Sat. Close to the cutoff line currently--need a nice soaking rain. 

I got .31" yesterday and .10" the day before.  With those I am up to 1.44" for the month

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's amazing out there. I love this weather.

We just finished covering the garden, if the wind does go calm it feels like it's going to be real cold with a dew point of 30F now and temps in the upper 40s.  It really does feel like Sept/Oct out there but it's still light enough to be outside with good visibility at 8:30pm.

Best part is the bugs just disappear.  They can't fight the wind and chill.  Lose the humidity and the bugs, it's a win-win.  I bet it's a gorgeous evening on your deck... hoodies and firepit?

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We just finished covering the garden, if the wind does go calm it feels like it's going to be real cold with a dew point of 30F now and temps in the upper 40s.  It really does feel like Sept/Oct out there but it's still light enough to be outside with good visibility at 8:30pm.

Best part is the bugs just disappear.  They can't fight the wind and chill.  Lose the humidity and the bugs, it's a win-win.  I bet it's a gorgeous evening on your deck... hoodies and firepit?

Yeah, I was out all day today and just came in now as we lost the light. What a nice break this is from the MD dews bullshit. This is definitely the kind of weather I envisioned when I bought this place.