• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

Would be interesting to see what wind anomalies have been for this year so far. I’m on day 4 of very breezy conditions, just seems to never quit. Others have shared data during other “windy” stretches and it’s never been as big a deal as I perceive. It must be some kind of memory bias because I swear the last 5 years have had more wind events in my hood than the previous 5.

16 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Would be interesting to see what wind anomalies have been for this year so far. I’m on day 4 of very breezy conditions, just seems to never quit. Others have shared data during other “windy” stretches and it’s never been as big a deal as I perceive. It must be some kind of memory bias because I swear the last 5 years have had more wind events in my hood than the previous 5.

Subjectively, the windy days have been far abundant than average.  I noted their effect - not a good one -  on my woodlot in the April thread.

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

Lead as in fishing sinkers or lead as in pellets from a shotgun shell?  Either way, it's a shame.  I haven't seen a moose in quite a while.  Maybe my favorite North Woods animal.

I’m actually partial to the bears. Had a cub cross the road in front of me a few days ago very close to where I saw the moose today (ie right outside my driveway). Their cute factor is way higher and they’re really fun to watch. I love seeing them. But Moose are cool too! 

4 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

It has felt windy.  Lots of NW flow CAA breezes... it probably makes sense, with so many warm air masses  Any below normal cold creates a strong thermal gradient.

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Black fly apocalypse today..cloudy with a little bit of dews and they got very hungry.

A few were out today but just checking the menu, probably because I earlier posted "no 70+ since 4/10" and 5 hours later it hit 71.  1st blackfly appearance 7-10 days earlier than the average.

54 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I have a bug net and lemon eucalyptus spray ordered and should be delivered soon...black flies eat DEET for breakfast...the only thing that even remotely helps that I have found is Lemon Eucalyptus spray 

DEET works for me in moderate to heavy levels of blackflies and it's near perfect for mosquitos.  In super heavy swarms of blackflies (June 1996 at Deboullie in NW Maine) Ben's 100 lasted only 60-70 minutes, but in that year and place the flies were so thick that folks wearing bug netting had issues seeing thru all the bugs perched 2" from their noses.  Different folks have different body chemistry - years ago on a forestry trip a fellow student found Cutters to work well on mosquitos.  On me it acted like A-1 sauce.  (As does DEET for deerflies.  Only thing that works for them if you're outside is remaining underwater, though a friend once said flaming kerosene might work.)

36 minutes ago, tamarack said:

DEET works for me in moderate to heavy levels of blackflies and it's near perfect for mosquitos.  In super heavy swarms of blackflies (June 1996 at Deboullie in NW Maine) Ben's 100 lasted only 60-70 minutes, but in that year and place the flies were so thick that folks wearing bug netting had issues seeing thru all the bugs perched 2" from their noses.  Different folks have different body chemistry - years ago on a forestry trip a fellow student found Cutters to work well on mosquitos.  On me it acted like A-1 sauce.  (As does DEET for deerflies.  Only thing that works for them if you're outside is remaining underwater, though a friend once said flaming kerosene might work.)

Omg, Deerflies are the worst!!! DEET works super well with me for mosquitos, and Lemon Eucalyptus helps with mosquitos as well. Unfortunately, DEET has never worked for me and blackflies. So my bug net just came in, and my lemon eucalyptus spray shipped and is enroute...I can't stand the getting bitten all over my ears, and those blackflies always try to get in my eyeballs and my nostrils...I hate hiking in backfly season. But this year I will be ready!!!

18 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Omg, Deerflies are the worst!!! DEET works super well with me for mosquitos, and Lemon Eucalyptus helps with mosquitos as well. Unfortunately, DEET has never worked for me and blackflies. So my bug net just came in, and my lemon eucalyptus spray shipped and is enroute...I can't stand the getting bitten all over my ears, and those blackflies always try to get in my eyeballs and my nostrils...I hate hiking in backfly season. But this year I will be ready!!!

Mosquitos sip delicately thru a straw, blackflies scratch a hole and lap up the blood, while deerflies carve off a steak and fly away to chew it - at least it feels that way.  I accidentally found that if one stands perfectly still the deerflies lose interest - works for me anyway though it's obviously not a long-term solution.  That phenomenon reminds me of T-Rex in "Jurassic Park".  Adjusted for scale, it feels like both species have similar dental equipment.  Nearest I've ever come to having non-stinging insects chase me out of the woods was while cruising timber in northwest Maine on a hot July day.  (Deerflies love the heat.)  There's a similar-sized non-biting fly that I call sweat-lickers, but when there's 200 of them and 50 deerflies circling one's head, it's impossible to know who's carrying knives.  And when I squash a deerfly on my head, all its friends come to the funeral hungry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I usually swallow a couple when I'm golfing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I usually swallow a couple when I'm golfing.

i have inhaled a black fly or two while smoking. that causes a neat little gag reflex. Also, i am unsure as to which is more hazardous: smoking or ingesting black flies. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 5:02 PM, tamarack said:

Sound like my place every year around Memorial Day... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Sound like my place every year around Memorial Day... :rolleyes:

That 1996 bug season was memorable in a bad way.  We'd had a bad one in 1984 when we were in Ft. Kent, such that even in a 25-30 mph wind enough blackflies would latch on as they blew by to so serious damage.  1996 trumped that, in the north.  1st Saturday in June we were scoping a snomo trail around the state's Bald Mountain land in Rangeley and in 4 hours I sw maybe 10 blackflies, so the next day I noted that to our pastor and figured our Mon-Fri men's retreat up north would be fine.  We got to Portage Lake and even on the tar we were getting pounded.  At Deboullie it was far worse; even out on the pond 500' from shore the blackflies were horrid - maybe not enough airspace over land.  It was hot - CAR touched 91 that Tuesday - and usually blackflies go hide when it's much over 80.  Not this time.  Only safe place (other than the sun-oven tent) was the spruce-over-boulders on the NW side of Deboullie Pond, a spot that would hold ice in the crevasses into midsummer.  Temp down near the ice was about 40 and the flying little monsters stayed away.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, klw said:

Streams were all up this morning.  It must have been a good rain overnight.

25 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, my backyard brook is a little more audible this morning.  Pretty widespread 1.5-2" will do that.

1.73" here this week.  Lawns are starting to get that Irish green look.