Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha fair enough, it was a bit in jest.... you'd hate living where I do lol.  I was just listening thinking to myself "Yikes" as I drove down the road this evening thinking about your Jackson and Conway posts.  I'm sure those folks enjoy living there.  Maybe I'd be ready to blow my brains out if I didn't spend 8-12 hours a day on the side of the mountain.  No hard feelings.

No worries. :) 

I know I get a bit overboard with the snow. J. Spin has been providing therapy sessions, but sometimes the patients lash out at the prison therapist. He'll need to be behind some two-way glass and speak to me over the intercom while explaining that upslope just sometimes doesn't work out for me in a blocked flow regime. LOL

For me, getting to the snowiest spot I could within reasonable driving distance was a top priority for me. I spent a lot of money to buy up here, so may as well go for as much snow as I can get. No complaints about my spot. I think seeing how terrible this winter was at low elevations in Jackson and Conway really drove home for me I made a good choice (thanks mostly to the forum here). I am definitely a competitive person, I hate to lose. 

I think we all also cope with the coming end of snow/ski season in our own way. I am sure I am not the only person here who feels a tinge of sadness watching the slopes melt out. Kinda gets me down a little.

52 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The thing is you VT Northern Greens guys are just as competitive, you just pretend to be chill about it. Members of the NVT crew have written like 5,000 words this season explaining to me in great detail how the Northern Greens are one of the greatest snow kingdoms on earth and if anyone else in NNE is complaining about their snowfall, it must be a personal climo issue. Just saying. 

Valid point..not gonna lie; there’s a reason we picked a place that averages 350” plus...and it’s not to lose the snowfall race..ha.

• Like 2

Just now, bwt3650 said:

Valid point..not gonna lie; there’s a reason we picked a place that averages 350” plus...and it’s not to lose the snowfall race..ha.

Exactly! I have no issue with losing a race, but the winner ought to at least acknowledge he was in the race in the first place and wanted to win! LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Exactly! I have no issue with losing a race, but the winner ought to at least acknowledge he was in the race in the first place and wanted to win! LOL

Fair take.  Wanting to ski powder leads to a place that produces frequent powder and whether or not it's looked at as a competition, it subconsciously happens in the decision process.  All of my decisions have revolved around skiing fresh snowfall that I guess it happened organically but is essentially a competition between locations that leads to a given spot.  Where I live is definitely backseat to the skiing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Fair take.  Wanting to ski powder leads to a place that produces frequent powder and whether or not it's looked at as a competition, it subconsciously happens in the decision process.  All of my decisions have revolved around skiing fresh snowfall that I guess it happened organically but is essentially a competition between locations that leads to a given spot.  Where I live is definitely backseat to the skiing.

It can’t be bad when going to work means driving to a powder wonderland. When I have to go to work I get to go to a literal swamp in NE MD. LOL

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Today's event worked out for the ski areas as surmised... 3-6" with spot 7-8".  The dense snow drying out on top led to some explosive turns.

168017274_10104499614223890_684544060029

I was there today. Had a great time and stayed all the way until the last lift closed.

I was really shocked by the vast difference that just a few hundred ft of elevation made. I was told it is more common late in the season, but today I saw it for myself. The towns of Stowe and Waterbury had almost no accumulation and it was bare green grass, while it was a full fledged snowstorm on the mountain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fozz said:

I was there today. Had a great time and stayed all the way until the last lift closed.

I was really shocked by the vast difference that just a few hundred ft of elevation made. I was told it is more common late in the season, but today I saw it for myself. The towns of Stowe and Waterbury had almost no accumulation and it was bare green grass, while it was a full fledged snowstorm on the mountain.

Yup, and in these marginal events you often see an upslope/downslope temperature couplet where the snow levels are lower on the upsloping side due to the cooling associated with that forced ascent... and then on the other side you'll see a sharper rain/snow line.  Just that extra 0.5C of cooling/warming between up/down motions can be the difference between @Froude getting 2" at 500ft on the west side and a sloppy coating at 750ft on the east side.  I love that fascinating stuff though.  The micro-scale differences caused by the mountains in different set-ups.

Last evening's flurry brought a 0.1" dusting, meaning April has already matched the March total.  :P

March data:
Avg temp:  30.1   2.8 AN
Avg max:  42.4    3.9 AN     Highest was 62 on 3/23   Over our 23 years here March has reached 60+ in 6.
Avg min:  17.9     1.7 AN    Lowest was -2 on 3/7     Only March 2010 (Min was 11) failed to have a subzero morning.

Precip:  1.53"  exactly 2" BN   Wettest day was 0.82 on the 27th

"Snow":  Had 0.1" of slushy "dusting" on the 13th.   At month's end the season total was 50.9", 32.8" BN.
Pack was 19" on the 1st and was still 18" on the 9th when a core yielded 6.25" LE

The 3/26 TS that blew apart a fir near the house was just the 3rd one in March and 1st since 2009.

• Like 1

I stopped off at Bolton today for some turns, and here are the general accumulations I found from this latest storm starting from near the Bottom of the Bolton Valley Access Road:

500’:  0.5”

1,000’:  2”

1,500’:  5”

2,000’:  7”

2,500’:  8”

3.000’:  9”

The biggest jumps in accumulation appear to be in the 1,000’ to 2,000’ elevation band.

The resort is reporting 9” in the past 48 hours on their snow report, so that seems in synch with what I found up at the main mountain.

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I stopped off at Bolton today for some turns, and here are the general accumulations I found from this latest storm starting from near the Bottom of the Bolton Valley Access Road:

The biggest jumps in accumulation appear to be in the 1,000’ to 2,000’ elevation band.

The resort is reporting 9” in the past 48 hours on their snow report, so that seems in synch with what I found up at the main mountain.

That bolded is spot on here too.

It's wildly variable over here.  Spruce Peak actually did really well with snowfall, but I think it was because it seemed a lot less windy.  Mansfield was a wind-hammered half foot or so with zero loft to the flakes.  Top of Sunny Spruce had stacked fluff heading into Side Street and I saw pics from tracks up on Sensation (closed now) that looked like trenches.

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals I’ve seen from the Vermont ski areas along the spine for this event.  The focus for this storm was certainly the Northern Greens, with lesser amounts in the Central Greens, and not much reported out of the Southern Greens.

Jay Peak: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 7”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 1”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alex said:

I guess we weren't done. Snow depth up to 3.6" and snowing nicely again

I skied the Cog today and was blown away by the conditions there! It was totally sunny driving from Jackson to Crawford Notch, but once we reached the AMC Highland Center it started snowing and continued all the way to Marshfield Station. I estimated 6" of new snow at the base of the Cog when we arrived at noon, which increased to 7-8" by the time we left at 3pm. Super low density "blower pow" as we call it; would've made for some of the best turns of the season if not for the thin base due to the recent warmth/rain. There were definitely some sharks in the water today!