Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

36 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Dumping snow...probably about 5”

Yeah that sounds about right for Jay at your elevation.

I saw Smuggs reporting 8" at 11am which not going to lie, I don't like questioning because I know snow measuring can be tough but for that snowfall at that time would imply 1"/hr sustained from 3am to 11am.  Especially when all the ski areas up and down the Spine seem to be in the same ballpark, that one stood out.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I saw Smuggs reporting 8" at 11am which not going to lie, I don't like questioning because I know snow measuring can be tough but for that snowfall at that time would imply 1"/hr sustained from 3am to 11am.  Especially when all the ski areas up and down the Spine seem to be in the same ballpark, that one stood out.

Yeah, that seems a little high.  There was a 1 inch an hour band that just came through..they would have had to sit under that to be at 8+..I would think the top of Madonna should be the same as the picnic tables, no?

Maybe there’s 7 up on the ridge here, but I think that’s the absolute max.  It’s not going to be enough to get the steep natural stuff back, but wow, is it skiing great.  We still had a lot in play holding on by a thread.  The usual late season suspects like upper can am and river quai; and star and goat at your place, I would think are done for the season barring a one day 20” dumping, but that’s to be expected in april.

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

31 and mod snow. 

37 and rain in Gorham. Always amazes me the difference just down the hill. 

I don’t think Stowe Village has had more than a sloppy half inch at 750ft and there’s a little north of 4” at 1500ft.  Sharp elevation gradient as happens this time of year.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I don’t think Stowe Village has had more than a sloppy half inch at 750ft and there’s a little north of 4” at 1500ft.  Sharp elevation gradient as happens this time of year.

I have 1.5" or so but it peters out really quickly as you go downhill from me.  Maybe 2.5"-3" up the hill a bit from me.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I took a few laps at Smuggs this afternoon. Was eyeballing more like 6 or 7 with some wind effect up top. Skied nicely.

We did alright here in the valley. 2" at my house at 500 ft.  Fascinating to watch the accumulations vary driving along the Lamoille river, and easy to spot where the water kept things just a bit warmer.

15 minutes ago, Froude said:

I took a few laps at Smuggs this afternoon. Was eyeballing more like 6 or 7 with some wind effect up top. Skied nicely.

We did alright here in the valley. 2" at my house at 500 ft.  Fascinating to watch the accumulations vary driving along the Lamoille river, and easy to spot where the water kept things just a bit warmer.

Awesome man.  I bet that's one of the better totals for that elevation.  I'm about to head home down into town but expecting a good drop off from Mtn Ops up here down to village level.  Wouldn't be surprised to see just a wet coating.

It was fun to be skiing in a winter environment again... with snow and blowing snow and cold surfaces.  Seems like a long time ago when we skied some real natural snowfall with some moisture content in it, ha.

• Like 1

Cannot overstate what a recovery this was.  Every glade was back in play (though a few were closed, ha). Underneath was a solid layer that froze, then about 8 inches of powder.  As long as you kept you eyes open for the random branch and rock, it skied as well as any midwinter day.  Underneath should melt nicely and be a great few days coming up.  Really good day out there and good weekend coming up...even some natural steeps back in play.

B8F9898E-815B-4890-8880-884066151092.jpeg

E1B90852-CD39-4AE0-940E-D0C2FBBF669A.jpeg

04E3DDB4-3B8C-4097-8735-62597975B34D.jpeg

95765A3E-B41C-418A-8B27-D4D78CECC3D2.jpeg

08B59CB1-373D-4CAC-A4C1-3C3DF842DCC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Just a mulch topper here in the valley.  The few remaining snowbanks have a decent accum (ha) but grass is pretty much completely torched.

Very sharp gradient around 1,000ft here (seemed to be the line from like 1-2" to pretty much nothing) and 1,500ft is like a great winter event.

April1.jpg.49b20f3c3c9b0b3fef5ab7f7431872eb.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Snow/sleet shower here in Conway. Ugh, what a pit. So glad I didn’t buy down here. 

You crack me up with this stuff, so competitive.  Yikes in Jackson, what a pit in Conway, about to throw your phone out the window if GYX labels any bigger total in the PNS as "Gorham" :lol:.

I can only imagine the stuff you'd think driving the few miles I do every day between the mountain and home, lol.

Conway is normally great at retention and in a normal winter would completely have a good winter vibe. Definitely not a good winter to compare. I’ve been up in Conway during winter with plenty of deep snow. It’s not Randolph, but they get their fair share. 

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You crack me up with this stuff, so competitive.  Yikes in Jackson, what a pit in Conway, about to throw your phone out the window if GYX labels any bigger total in the PNS as "Gorham" :lol:.

I can only imagine the stuff you'd think driving the few miles I do every day between the mountain and home, lol.

The thing is you VT Northern Greens guys are just as competitive, you just pretend to be chill about it. Members of the NVT crew have written like 5,000 words this season explaining to me in great detail how the Northern Greens are one of the greatest snow kingdoms on earth and if anyone else in NNE is complaining about their snowfall, it must be a personal climo issue. Just saying. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Conway is normally great at retention and in a normal winter would completely have a good winter vibe. Definitely not a good winter to compare. I’ve been up in Conway during winter with plenty of deep snow. It’s not Randolph, but they get their fair share. 

They always seem to be 7-10 degrees warmer than me. I am interested to see how they look in a good winter. 

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.56” L.E.

Frozen precipitation began to mix in at our site not too long after midnight last night, and it was obvious because I could hear the sleet hitting off the windows and checked outside to see what was up.  I suspect it stayed mixed like that much of the night because there was nothing more than a trace of frozen accumulation this morning at observations time.  Looking up into the local hills, the accumulating snow line seemed to be around 1,000’ or so.

The precipitation changed over to snow not long after observations time, and it snowed all the way in to Burlington today.  The snowfall intensity actually kept increasing as I headed into the Champlain Valley, but temperatures were a few degrees above freezing so the roads just stayed wet.  During the day today in Burlington we had some periods of heavy snow with huge flakes during that banding, and it accumulated to an inch or two.  At the house it continued to snow, but outside the band the snowfall intensity was just too light to accumulate to more than a tenth of an inch at valley elevations in our area.

We picked up most of our snow at the house with that next round of precipitation that came through in the afternoon, and we’ve been having another round of that around here this evening as well.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.5

Snow Density: 5.7% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The thing is you VT Northern Greens guys are just as competitive, you just pretend to be chill about it. Members of the NVT crew have written like 5,000 words this season explaining to me in great detail how the Northern Greens are one of the greatest snow kingdoms on earth and if anyone else in NNE is complaining about their snowfall, it must be a personal climo issue. Just saying. 

Ha fair enough, it was a bit in jest.... you'd hate living where I do lol.  I was just listening thinking to myself "Yikes" as I drove down the road this evening thinking about your Jackson and Conway posts.  I'm sure those folks enjoy living there.  Maybe I'd be ready to blow my brains out if I didn't spend 8-12 hours a day on the side of the mountain.  No hard feelings.