Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Those types of place are pretty much obsolete now in Manchester.  Any new restaurant opening is more catered to the Real Housewives of New Jersey and New York crowd.  Makes sense to go along with the more upscale outlet shopping and new influx of wealthier out of staters now moving here full time.  Not many family friendly cheap options.( still Pizza and Tacos shops, etc)  Much different from the picture my wife paints from growing up here in the 80s and early 90s--more mom and pop type shops-although it's always been one of the more "upscale-ish" VT tourists towns.

Still can find some more hole in the wall type spots and pub types around if you know where to look, just not here in town. Have heard a lot of good live music from friends bands in barns and backyards/farms to get that true VT experience though..ha

36 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

It is a cool place. Has a nice appeal inside

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I like places like that.

Nice change of pace from Gorham and Berlin. They don't care about skiing at all up there. If it doesn't have a motor they pretend it doesn't exist. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sweet.  Ski Town vibe.

Jackson and the surrounding area are much more of a "ski village" deal than up in my area.

The little places down there all have tons of memorabilia and history with Wildcat, Black Mountain, and Cranmore. I guess that's where people go to gather after a day at those hills.

There is almost none of that in Gorham/Berlin. The vibe in bars over there is more industrial and blue collar. Trucks, guns, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. Totally different feel. Very few of the locals in Gorham and Berlin I have met ski with any regularity. But they all seem to be into snowmobiles and ATVs. If some fancy ski guy from Mass strolled in there in his $500 jacket after stepping out of his x-drive BMW it would be like those old west movies where the guy walks into the bar and music stops and everyone turns to stare at him...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Jackson and the surrounding area are much more of a "ski village" deal than up in my area.

The little places down there all have tons of memorabilia and history with Wildcat, Black Mountain, and Cranmore. I guess that's where people go to gather after a day at those hills.

There is almost none of that in Gorham/Berlin. The vibe in bars over there is more industrial and blue collar. Trucks, guns, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. Totally different feel. Very few of the locals in Gorham and Berlin I have met ski with any regularity. But they all seem to be into snowmobiles and ATVs. If some fancy ski guy from Mass strolled in there in his $500 jacket after stepping out of his x-drive BMW it would be like those old west movies where the guy walks into the bar and music stops and everyone turns to stare at him...

Ha, back in the day up in Bingham, ME I had that experience.  Two 19 yr olds with backwards RedSox hats walk in to grab something to eat, and we got "the stare down."  They definitely know when you aren't from around there.

• Like 2

Just full on blizzard conditions.

We stopped a couple of times on RT 108 just dead stop in whiteout conditions.  Couldn't see anything.  Stopped in middle of 50mph zone, grabbed a shot while waiting for the whiteout to pass.

Love me a good ol' Mansfield upslope morning.  Like a mini-winter storm.

whiteout.jpg.6c20b0b324b75b13d82f80c52c73c05e.jpg

parkinglot.jpg.7c166eadcf90f700a59e4b92b01aff15.jpg

WUNIDS_map.gif.267de0b2397bcfa4fa315da6e4ad6efd.gif

Over on the other side of the resort seemed sheltered from the wind a bit by the hotel.  They probably turned off the heated walkways in all this spring weather, ha.

Pavers.jpg.59315cbfee0ac3df3ac5ff56e4a73524.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just full on blizzard conditions.

We stopped a couple of times on RT 108 just dead stop in whiteout conditions.  Couldn't see anything.  Stopped in middle of 50mph zone, grabbed a shot while waiting for the whiteout to pass.

Love me a good ol' Mansfield upslope morning.  Like a mini-winter storm.

whiteout.jpg.6c20b0b324b75b13d82f80c52c73c05e.jpg

parkinglot.jpg.7c166eadcf90f700a59e4b92b01aff15.jpg

WUNIDS_map.gif.267de0b2397bcfa4fa315da6e4ad6efd.gif

Over on the other side of the resort seemed sheltered from the wind a bit by the hotel.  They probably turned off the heated walkways in all this spring weather, ha.

Pavers.jpg.59315cbfee0ac3df3ac5ff56e4a73524.jpg

lol, enjoy. sun and wind here.

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Well done, Phineas. ( if you have the time ) I expect to see a screen play for ‘Tales of the NNE’ in short order. (Try not to cast H2O as the fellow walking in)  As always ......

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty annoying to go almost all of Feb and March without a notable synoptic storm and then we get three rainers in a row followed by dry again... nuts. 

The grade here had improved to C- right after the 9.5" on 2/2 but it's been all downhill from there.  Yesterday's 0.95" came at temps 37/33 w/o even a catpaw so March will finish with 0.1" and barely that - the overnight coating on 3/13 was barely above "T" level.  Early this month I opined only a 10% chance of finishing lower than the 0.6" of 2010 - was tempted to give zero odds.  The long shot "wins" and winter loses.  Prior to last winter I'd not had 2 successive ones w/o at 12"+ event.  Will be 3 in a row unless something freaky arrives next month, and odds for that are indistinguishable from zero.  At least we had the blazing mild sun of 3/20-24.  Outside of those days, March was about as bad as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The grade here had improved to C- right after the 9.5" on 2/2 but it's been all downhill from there.  Yesterday's 0.95" came at temps 37/33 w/o even a catpaw so March will finish with 0.1" and barely that - the overnight coating on 3/13 was barely above "T" level.  Early this month I opined only a 10% chance of finishing lower than the 0.6" of 2010 - was tempted to give zero odds.  The long shot "wins" and winter loses.  Prior to last winter I'd not had 2 successive ones w/o at 12"+ event.  Will be 3 in a row unless something freaky arrives next month, and odds for that are indistinguishable from zero.  At least we had the blazing mild sun of 3/20-24.  Outside of those days, March was about as bad as possible.

Yeah, no way to sugarcoat it. 

Most places that don't get upslope really had a tough go of it this season.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, no way to sugarcoat it. 

Most places that don't get upslope really had a tough go of it this season.

We use different grading criteria.  My main criteria is useable snow for snowmobiling.  Even though the riding season this winter was short, it was very good, with no mid winter melt downs.  We started riding from my house on MLK day and I rode from home for the next 7 weeks and probably could have eked out an 8th if I had wanted to.  During that time, a good portion of VT was open and the trails stayed ok, though more snow would have been appreciated.  This adds up to a C- or C.  with March bumping the grade down to a C-.  Unlike the ski guys, snow after the base has been wiped out doesn't up my grade.  More real cold and more frequent snow storms would have been better and I know that there are areas in NNE suffered far more than we did but it was an ok year that will likely be forgotten.

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We use different grading criteria.  My main criteria is useable snow for snowmobiling.  Even though the riding season this winter was short, it was very good, with no mid winter melt downs.  We started riding from my house on MLK day and I rode from home for the next 7 weeks and probably could have eked out an 8th if I had wanted to.  During that time, a good portion of VT was open and the trails stayed ok, though more snow would have been appreciated.  This adds up to a C- or C.  with March bumping the grade down to a C-.  Unlike the ski guys, snow after the base has been wiped out doesn't up my grade.  More real cold and more frequent snow storms would have been better and I know that there are areas in NNE suffered far more than we did but it was an ok year that will likely be forgotten.

There was definitely a difference between VT and parts of NH and ME this year in terms of sensible winter weather. PF was shocked to learn that Wildcat only recorded 96" of snow this season, a rather pathetic total. Large swaths of western and central ME had an historically bad year. Agreed that we all come at this from different angles. My personal grade is an A just given how this winter was compared to MD. I have heard a bunch of folks in Gorham rating this winter an A+ precisely because it didn't snow that much and wasn't that cold. LOL

The mid Jan to early March period was definitely amazing for retention here, and elsewhere it seems. Skiing and snowmobiling were very good.