Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Warm Season Thread 2021

wxeyeNH

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ryan sent me a thread with what appeared to be a TDS in Middlebury VT.

https://twitter.com/ScottDimmich/status/1375516325611630593

My folks who live in Middlebury near downtown said they had thunder, rain, and wind but no trees down.  I was in class so I wasn't watching the radar live, so I don't know where the TDS passed relative to their location, but they said their experience was not particularly intense (no trees down, no damage).  

It was boring here in Plattsburgh, but I was well north of the interesting stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypatia said:

https://twitter.com/ScottDimmich/status/1375516325611630593

My folks who live in Middlebury near downtown said they had thunder, rain, and wind but no trees down.  I was in class so I wasn't watching the radar live, so I don't know where the TDS passed relative to their location, but they said their experience was not particularly intense (no trees down, no damage).  

I'm sure it occurred in a small spot too. We'll be curious to see any pics. Powderfreak, I was close when I said skiers torn off the chairlifts. The HRRR yesterday I believe, had a nice helicity swath go by near where this storm occurred.

• Like 2

Wow. I was in St. J and noticed what appeared to have been trees and branches that had been cleaned up along different parts of Rt. 2 on my way home. There was some damage in East Montpelier. A roof was blown off a fireworks warehouse. The picture isn’t that great but I couldn’t get that close. 

6FE3D2C5-4F2E-434C-8061-2C4B10ED1861.jpeg

84A7A4EA-6117-45B9-8C72-69C4903D121A.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Wow. I was in St. J and noticed what appeared to have been trees and branches that had been cleaned up along different parts of Rt. 2 on my way home. There was some damage in East Montpelier. A roof was blown off a fireworks warehouse. The picture isn’t that great but I couldn’t get that close. 

6FE3D2C5-4F2E-434C-8061-2C4B10ED1861.jpeg

84A7A4EA-6117-45B9-8C72-69C4903D121A.jpeg

:damage:

Fun weather day.  3 separate thunderstorms gave me .40".  Broke into the warm air this afternoon and the temperature jumped to 67F.  Squall line moved quickly SE around 4pm.  I got the drone up for a quick look around.  I am not as brave with my drone as those tornado chasers so didn't keep the drone up long.  Would have been interesting to get it right into the shelf cloud but not risking $1000.

Here is the video

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm sure it occurred in a small spot too. We'll be curious to see any pics. Powderfreak, I was close when I said skiers torn off the chairlifts. The HRRR yesterday I believe, had a nice helicity swath go by near where this storm occurred.

Middlebury Snow Bowl, lol.  Yeah we had some good pulses of wind at Stowe but it’s hard to compare because winter usually brings some extreme synoptic gusts... so some t-storm pulse gusts to 50mph would stand out big in July but right now it’s like another windy day.  If that makes sense.

We’ve had some big wind events lately too out of the NW... I do think if today hit in mid-summer that wind would’ve been something but wasn’t all that impressive right now relative to the other recent stuff.

The rain though, it just won’t quit. So much water leaving the mountains.

4C5F5D99-5762-4870-9C1F-C1DD5BE0CC89.thumb.jpeg.467b8dac021b08a5e28919c387a2a52b.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Middlebury Snow Bowl, lol.  Yeah we had some good pulses of wind at Stowe but it’s hard to compare because winter usually brings some extreme synoptic gusts... so some t-storm pulse gusts to 50mph would stand out big in July but right now it’s like another windy day.  If that makes sense.

We’ve had some big wind events lately too out of the NW... I do think if today hit in mid-summer that wind would’ve been something but wasn’t all that impressive right now relative to the other recent stuff.

4C5F5D99-5762-4870-9C1F-C1DD5BE0CC89.thumb.jpeg.467b8dac021b08a5e28919c387a2a52b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Used to love hitting the Bowl in college. We had shuttles from campus all day during J term. They don't call it "Club Midd" for nothing. A tornado up there is hard to imagine at any time of year, let alone March!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hypatia said:

Report of damage near Painter Rd.  Not far from my folks, but as CoastalWx said it's probably a small area of interest.

Yickes.  Out for lunch turns at Pico from 12:30-1:45.  It looked really threatening and the wind picked up just as we were headed in.  By the time I logged in to my 2pm meeting it was pouring and dark.  We joked a little about it being too dangerous on the last lift ride.  Maybe it was.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

First moose sighting on my driveway just now. 

That’s awesome.  The first moose and every one after that is always exciting.  The NNE wildlife is awesome, I’ve been thinking the bears will show up soon with this weather.

Animals are on the move this time of year.  Its time for activity when the conditions seem like the warm season.  They don’t know climo, they just go by cues... I’m sure that’s a memorable sight for the kids.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That’s awesome.  The first moose and every one after that is always exciting.  The NNE wildlife is awesome, I’ve been thinking the bears will show up soon with this weather.

Animals are on the move this time of year.  Its time for activity when the conditions seem like the warm season.  They don’t know climo, they just go by cues... I’m sure that’s a memorable sight for the kids.

Yeah, looked really weird in the headlights at first with the mist and rain falling. Freaked us out a little. Kinda like an alien lumbering off into the woods. They have a strange gait, not really like a deer at all, IMO. Looked like a juvenile male to me but only got the best look at the back half as it took off quickly.