• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter 2021

Stormlover74

Since the dry period began last spring it seems that it just wants to be dry rather than wet. Other than a few weeks this winter and a short stint here and there it's tough to meet expectations for rain events. It's dry out there and this current event looks to me like it may end up with pretty moderate totals (unless you get under a good t-storm), like so many before it, that don't help to bring back the soil moisture levels. If you're on a well like me you may want to consider water intensive projects now rather than waiting, if we do go dry like late last summer you may not have the water resources to draw from. I think I'll do some power washing while it's raining the next few days so I don't have to use as much water to rinse.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Since the dry period began last spring it seems that it just wants to be dry rather than wet. Other than a few weeks this winter and a short stint here and there it's tough to meet expectations for rain events. It's dry out there and this current event looks to me like it may end up with pretty moderate totals (unless you get under a good t-storm), like so many before it, that don't help to bring back the soil moisture levels. If you're on a well like me you may want to consider water intensive projects now rather than waiting, if we do go dry like late last summer you may not have the water resources to draw from. I think I'll do some power washing while it's raining the next few days so I don't have to use as much water to rinse.

dry begets dry.   Everything has underperformed here...until we get something big, I'll go drier every time.

• Like 1

i love comfy rainy nights :wub::hurrbear:

the kind of night a dame with great gams walks into your detective agency at 9:30 PM because she needs help investigating the mysterious death of her husband.  she coulda walked into any gumshoe's office in the whole city, and the fella woulda been glad to help her, but she had to pick yours.  you light her cigarette and she tells you all about her husband's jealous brother and the fight over their family inheritance.  but maybe this widow isn't telling the whole truth... maybe she wanted to do some inheriting of her own.

starring Peter Falk, coming to exactly zero theatres near you this summer.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i love comfy rainy nights :wub::hurrbear:

the kind of night a dame with great gams walks into your detective agency at 9:30 PM because she needs help investigating the mysterious death of her husband.  she coulda walked into any gumshoe's office in the whole city, and the fella woulda been glad to help her, but she had to pick yours.  you light her cigarette and she tells you all about her husband's jealous brother and the fight over their family inheritance.  but maybe this widow isn't telling the whole truth... maybe she wanted to do some inheriting of her own.

starring Peter Falk, coming to exactly zero theatres near you this summer.

Thank you Will. You set my evening up for a great fantasy. As always ...

On 5/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, gravitylover said:

Not having a lot of rain  and low humidity levels has been great in keeping my allergies down.  Maybe we'll finally hit 100 here if it's dry enough.  I miss those summers.  This is the first spring I can remember in years when I didn't have to take any allergy medication.  I think the last time this was the case was when my dad was alive, which would be 2014.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Could you imagine if we ever had a giant asteroid or comet come in at a low angle, instead of a perpendicular one, where we didn't know if it would actually crash or just cut through our atmosphere?  A large one just cutting through our atmosphere would cause severe effects but the uncertainty of not knowing whether it would hit land or just barely skim by would be enough to start a panic.- especially if it passed by at a low angle over a large continent.  Chances of that are probably extremely low in our lifetimes, but who really knows.  I think all the large and even moderate sized ones have been mapped though and none are in a position to come near us for the next 100 years at least.

Bringing this to banter. 

A substantial size asteroid hit Russia back in like 2013...

The fact of the matter is...theres ALOT of rocks, that can hit us undetected...Jupiter has been our saving grace for so long its not even funny

4 hours ago, SRRTA22 said:

Bringing this to banter. 

A substantial size asteroid hit Russia back in like 2013...

The fact of the matter is...theres ALOT of rocks, that can hit us undetected...Jupiter has been our saving grace for so long its not even funny

Yep I remember that asteroid hit even as we were watching another one make a close miss....another nightmare scenario, multiple hits at the same time.

The one that hit Siberia came from the opposite direction and was shielded by the sun.

16 hours ago, forkyfork said:

more 90 degree days across the east but 100 degree days didn't change much

Thanks Forky, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Unfortunately Central Park is bucking the 90s trend.....they were   a travesty in 2010, they barely had more than JFK did and JFK had the most they've ever had by a large amount.

So for here it's 2 more 90 degree days per year and 1 more 100 degree day per year.

21 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i love bugs

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Weirdo :lmao:

34 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i'm going cicada chasing this weekend 

11 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Bring earplugs

If Forky is successful this weekend, I’m sorta happy that I won’t be around to see what comes out of the ground 17 years from now. As always .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uniblab said:

Wild Onion Cicada Nibblers

Ingredients

• 1 cup freshly emerged, blanched cicadas
  • 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 4 tablespoons finely chopped wild onion stalks (scallion stalks may be substituted)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons black pepper
  • 1 cup salted butter

You're a fan of nature in the raw or are the cooking instructions secret?

• Haha 1

Directions

Marinade the cicadas in the Worcestershire sauce for at least 45 minutes.

Beat the eggs. Blend in the wild onion.

Mix the sea salt and black pepper into the flour.

Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat.

Strain the cicadas from the Worcestershire sauce.

Increase the heat under the frying pan to medium

Drop the cicadas in the egg-wild onion blend. Stir.

Pull the cicadas from the egg-wild onion blend and roll in the flour-sea salt-black pepper mix.

Saute the cicadas gently until they are golden brown. 

7 minutes ago, Uniblab said:

Directions

Marinade the cicadas in the Worcestershire sauce for at least 45 minutes.

Beat the eggs. Blend in the wild onion.

Mix the sea salt and black pepper into the flour.

Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat.

Strain the cicadas from the Worcestershire sauce.

Increase the heat under the frying pan to medium

Drop the cicadas in the egg-wild onion blend. Stir.

Pull the cicadas from the egg-wild onion blend and roll in the flour-sea salt-black pepper mix.

Saute the cicadas gently until they are golden brown. 

Seems like it should be a healthy dish, the cicadas are purely vegan, unlike farmed shrimp that are raised in near cesspools. 

But 17 years between meals is a difficult marketing problem.

• Haha 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic