• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Next week we hit the solstice and start the journey of shorter hours of daylight until late December. :)  (even if it's cool next week...sun angle these days is brutal) 

Wife went to the senators game yesterday and said it felt like 100 in the sun - she got burnt through her clothes. 

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Wife went to the senators game yesterday and said it felt like 100 in the sun - she got burnt through her clothes. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am a firm believer that the "times are a changin'" on this point.   The sun is hotter/more intense every day of the year now....than it was 30- 40 years ago. 

Agreed - and I realize it most when there's snow on the ground. Snow melts so quickly, even with temps FAR below freezing if the sun is shining. Even in January. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Agreed - and I realize it most when there's snow on the ground. Snow melts so quickly, even with temps FAR below freezing if the sun is shining. Even in January. 

Yep.  I actually first noticed it about 20 years ago.  I had already moved to Florida but was back in PA and was outside for an hour or so in March and got sun burn bad enough to turn into a bit of sun poisoning.   Its more evident up here than in Florida.  

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

On the first point, June will still very likely clock in above average for both me and yinz, so there’s been plenty for the warm weather lovers to enjoy already and there will almost certainly be much more. I just like when it’s interspersed with absolutely sublime days like yesterday that are a non-rain induced 72/36 in the “heat” of the day and then drop into the 40s or even low/mid 50s at night.

We’ll all get our rain at some point, I have faith in that. Pattern isn’t ideal but models outside of the GFS don’t look terrible. Might come with more severe here tomorrow, third time this week I’m in a slight risk and the last two verified (western PBZ counties in Ohio are actually in a D2 enhanced risk, so we’ll see if that expands east), but timing might allow you guys to avoid the really nasty weather (or miss out on it, depending on perspective). 

Meanwhile, at Lake Mead.:unsure:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/us/lake-mead-drought-water-shortage-climate/index.html

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I’m familiar with Lake Powell from when I lived out west and it’s my understanding that both Lake Mead and Lake Powell (and the millions of people that rely on them) are in big trouble. It’s sad.

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m familiar with Lake Powell from when I lived out west and it’s my understanding that both Lake Mead and Lake Powell (and the millions of people that rely on them) are in big trouble. It’s sad.

Just reading that article, which can sometimes lead to exaggerations or "under exaggerations" from a reporter or network, it seems at some point the people of Las Vegas and surrounding areas will have to change how they use water.  But the rate that it is falling means its not tomorrow though I think the article was sort of alluding to the rate possibly getting faster.   It said farmers will be the first to have to change or move somewhere else. 

Not sure we are alive to see it but I think it quite possible that many areas people consider retirement areas will become less habitable due to climate change.  Florida, Southwest, and Cal.  Sort of the reverse of the map you see at the end of the movie "The Day after tomorrow".  Southerners will have to move north and east.   

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just reading that article, which can sometimes lead to exaggerations or "under exaggerations" from a reporter or network, it seems at some point the people of Las Vegas and surrounding areas will have to change how they use water.  But the rate that it is falling means its not tomorrow though I think the article was sort of alluding to the rate possibly getting faster.   It said farmers will be the first to have to change to move somewhere else. 

Not sure we are alive to see it but I think it quite possible that many areas people consider to retirement areas will become less habitable due to climate change.  Florida, Southwest, and Cal.  Sort of the reverse of the map you see at the end of the movie "The Day after tomorrow".  Southerners will have to move north and east.   

I agree that there’s plenty of time for people to adapt, and yes, media will play all kinds of things up for clicks, but (unless this is cyclical) at some point the lakes probably will dry up and people will need to innovate in the meantime to assure sustainability, though I believe there almost certainly will come a point where it’s not sustainable to have millions and millions of people in Phoenix and Las Vegas, parts of California, etc. anymore.

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I agree that there’s plenty of time for people to adapt, and yes, media will play all kinds of things up for clicks, but at some point the lakes probably will dry up and people will need to innovate in the meantime to assure sustainability, though I believe there almost certainly will come a point where it’s not sustainable to have millions and millions of people in Phoenix and Las Vegas, parts of California, etc. anymore.

And towns like Gainesville, Ocala and Orlando may become ocean front property in Florida.  Outside the Panhandle, "Sugarloaf Mountain" is the highest point in Florida at 312 feet.   Not much room for error.

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And towns like Gainesville, Ocala and Orlando may become ocean front property in Florida.  Outside the Panhandle, "Sugarloaf Mountain" is the highest point in Florida at 312 feet.   Not much room for error.

No doubt. It’d be interesting to see if/how people adapt, but I’m hoping I’m dead and gone before the situation becomes too dire.

One more thing semi-related to this tangent Re: Lake Mead/Powell. Las Vegas fell one degree short of their all time record high of 117 yesterday and Page, AZ (the town adjacent to Lake Powell) set its new all time record high of 110, though records there only date back to 1957 as that town was constructed around that time for the sole purpose of building the Glen Canyon Dam.

I have a lot more to say about this off-topic issue, and I could go on and on, but there’s a GFS run incoming. :)

7 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

No doubt. It’d be interesting to see if/how people adapt, but I’m hoping I’m dead and gone before the situation becomes too dire.

One more thing semi-related to this tangent Re: Lake Mead/Powell. Las Vegas fell one degree short of their record high of 117 yesterday and Page, AZ (the town adjacent to Lake Powell) set its new record high of 110, though records there only date back to 1957 as that town was constructed around that time for the sole purpose of building the Glen Canyon Dam.

I have a lot more to say about this off-topic issue, and I could go on and on, but there’s a GFS run incoming. :)

Below is one depiction of Florida now and in 2100.  I could never live in the desert regardless if it is dry heat.  I guess I am just a Mid Atlantic byy but the weather here is the most interesting year round. Re: GFS, to quote @pasnownut, time for nooners.

1280px-Zuid-Florida_reli%C3%ABf.jpg

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

LOL - I was reading down through the posts, saw Canderson's and responded before even seeing yours. 

Not a happy night for me last night. 

I would imagine.  I hesitated posting that as I was not trying to be mean.  I am a Mav's fan so I am already out.     Only two players (Curry and Embid) scored actual baskets in the second half.  Amazing stat. 

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I would imagine.  I hesitated posting that as I was not trying to be mean.  I am a Mav's fan so I am already out.     Only two players (Curry and Embid) scored actual baskets in the second half.  Amazing stat. 

76ers franchise history - last night was their 166th game leading by at least 20 going to the 4th quarter. Prior to last night, they were 165-0. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

76ers franchise history - last night was their 166th game leading by at least 20 going to the 4th quarter. Prior to last night, they were 165-0. 

They had several amazing stats last night.  Was fun watching the crowd for most of 3 quarters.   A bit better organ music and M. Night Shyamalan bouncing up and down during the game (like Spike Lee) and it would be like playing in the Garden. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

They had several amazing stats last night.  Was fun watching the crowd for most of 3 quarters.   A bit better organ music and M. Night Shyamalan bouncing up and down during the game (like Spike Lee) and it would be like playing in the Garden. 

Saw a Knicks game at MSG back in 2014. Had been on my bucket list for years to see a game at the Garden. Great experience...can only imagine what it was like during the glory years.