• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

32 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I'm not betting on anything severe though. We have the usual lead gray, solid overcast here this morning. Seems like any time we have strong to severe potential we battle with overcast and cool (68 degree) weather.

If it weren't for green vegetation, it would look like a snow day... :unsure:

This should clear up by 1ish for some instability to bound up before late afternoon. I think there will be severe in the NW and SE portions of this forum. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Looks like a luck of the draw type day to me but as someone (Canderson?) said the models more favor the S/W LSV though the HRR has a large area of convection come through further east over night.   It is so humid I think every area gets some rain near it by this afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, canderson said:

This should clear up by 1ish for some instability to bound up before late afternoon. I think there will be severe in the NW and SE portions of this forum. 

Thanks guys. I was stunned to return home last evening and find out I got just over a half inch of rain for the entire week. It sounded like we got a lot more than that. Hopefully today works out- minus the severe. 

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Wow! I got home late yesterday to find .56" in my gauge. Over 1" less than you. 

Yeah it's kind of wild for what was really a more stratiform type rain to have that type of sharp cutoff but that's exactly what happened and the fault line fell right over our area.  A couple miles to my south near Mountville people got 2 inches or more and just a couple miles to my north around Mount Joy the tallies were more in your neighborhood of a half inch to an inch.  The radar estimates of total precip were wildly off as well, as much of it came via low clouds that the radar had trouble picking up, particularly around our area with it's notorious radar hole and all.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks guys. I was stunned to return home last evening and find out I got just over a half inch of rain for the entire week. It sounded like we got a lot more than that. Hopefully today works out- minus the severe. 

You got more than me … 

2 hours ago, canderson said:

We're still socked in at 1:20pm, so I don't know. The sun TRIED to pop out at my grandson's baseball game but it was just brief couple minutes. 

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

You got more than me … 

Being on vacation I was only half paying attention - it just seemed like all the talk last week was about heavy rains and potential flooding. I got home and was surprised.

Drove through parts of NE North Carolina who have had over 14" of rain in the past 2 weeks. There's water everywhere, and I mean that. There's no where for it to go. 

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sky has gotten even darker here since noon. It looks like an early afternoon in January when snow's about to break out, lol 

Yeah the sky is even darker here now too…if we can’t clear these clouds by 3, I think we are cooked for anything today! 

26 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We're still socked in at 1:20pm, so I don't know. The sun TRIED to pop out at my grandson's baseball game but it was just brief couple minutes. 

Yea, same here. It got brighter but darker. CTP seems to indicate it won’t make a difference however and severe is expected. From the 1:30 pm disco:

Meanwhile, the cumulus field over much of central PA has grown more bubbly with daytime heating/destabilization. As more short-wave energy approaches later this afternoon/early evening, along with a surface trough axis, convection should fire most areas. Given steepening LRs over a deep layer, dry air aloft, and effective shear near 30 knots, localized severe wind gusts and hail remain a concern.

33 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Being on vacation I was only half paying attention - it just seemed like all the talk last week was about heavy rains and potential flooding. I got home and was surprised.

Drove through parts of NE North Carolina who have had over 14" of rain in the past 2 weeks. There's water everywhere, and I mean that. There's no where for it to go. 

Some areas of Lancaster county got in excess of 5" last week.   You were just a bit north.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Looked like it all missed you to the west.   Congrats 

The really heavy stuff did go to our west and over Hagerstown.  I seem some 1" estimates.    I was down there when it hit and road flooding was pretty bad for a short while as it all came down in 15 min.   The radar estimated total here is .21" but my gauge was between .3 and .4.  I was not here to see it actually fall.    

image.png.ff377e41a9bbbcaca0564596fcc8a73a.png

Sometimes seeing is not believing.  The dot for Williamsport on radar was covered with yellow under a rain blob.  I thought "What rain?" and went out to take a look.  It has just started to rain, it is not heavy at all and there is still a patch of blue skies and white clouds in the northeast corner of the sky.  

We have a thunderstorm watch and warning so I guess that will change.

Looks like some more rain today.

SYNOPSIS...
After a relatively tranquil morning, a vigorous upper level
disturbance will track southeast from the Great Lakes Region
and spark another few rounds of heavy showers and scattered
strong to potentially severe thunderstorms this afternoon
and evening.

Locally over one inch of rain will fall over portions of
Central Pennsylvania and the Susquehanna Valley, near the
path of an organized area of surface low pressure.

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Looks like some more rain today.

SYNOPSIS...
After a relatively tranquil morning, a vigorous upper level
disturbance will track southeast from the Great Lakes Region
and spark another few rounds of heavy showers and scattered
strong to potentially severe thunderstorms this afternoon
and evening.

Locally over one inch of rain will fall over portions of
Central Pennsylvania and the Susquehanna Valley, near the
path of an organized area of surface low pressure.

That is pretty gung ho.  Over 1" in storms I guess.