• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

10 hours ago, Newman said:

I'm traveling up with a buddy to Tiadaghton State Forest in Lycoming a week from now to do a 3-4 day backpacking trip on the Black Forest Trail. Fingers crossed 1. The heat breaks for us and 2. The forecast is dry.

Hit this bar up, excellent food!! They have a couple big smokers. Top of the mountain 44 north. Come to the T - the restaurant you can see on the left.

https://m.zmenu.com/mountain-top-and-provisions-lock-haven-online-menu/

They got some huge rattlers up there...careful.

Have Fun!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Speaking of cicadas, the Hazleton area is infested with them, yet nothing in my neighborhood.

Nothing here in York yet either, and I’m not complaining. They never used to bother me but the past couple years they’ve been getting quite loud.

On the upside, I’m glad to see the fireflies have finally been out the past few nights. If I’m not mistaken, they used to show up sometime during the 3rd or 4th week of May, but both this year and last year they had a late start. I read somewhere that the unseasonably cold weather in May delays their usual cycle.  

7 minutes ago, Streak said:

Nothing here in York yet either, and I’m not complaining. They never used to bother me but the past couple years they’ve been getting quite loud.

On the upside, I’m glad to see the fireflies have finally been out the past few nights. If I’m not mistaken, they used to show up sometime during the 3rd or 4th week of May, but both this year and last year they had a late start. I read somewhere that the unseasonably cold weather in May delays their usual cycle.  

That’s a bit surprising. A friend lives very close to Roundtop and it’s infested there. She posted a video and it’s SO loud. I’ve seen some in the city but not many, but they’re all over the burbs. 

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

That’s a bit surprising. A friend lives very close to Roundtop and it’s infested there. She posted a video and it’s SO loud. I’ve seen some in the city but not many, but they’re all over the burbs. 

Sounds like they’ll be arriving here shortly, then. I’m about 15 miles SE of Roundtop. 

31 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I caught the edge of a storm earlier that formed right over me, dropped a quick 14”. A buddy only a half mile away got nary a drop. Also no cicadas anywhere in this part of Lancaster County that I’ve noticed, not yet anyway. 

I know it is a typo but I still have to say it, a quick 14" sounds like a sight to see!   No FFW?  LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hello there ...in the gulf . Euro hinting at some homebrew action . I actually been slammed with my electrical business.  The busiest in 15 years so  I haven't barely looked at modeling . But 1st time I've looked at anything past 5 days and bingo lol

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-mslp-4017600.png

I’ll be in Houston next Thursday through Monday. So perfect timing. 

42 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Thursday was supposed  to be the best chance of rain but Looking at guidance the trend has been for the backdoor CF to press further south . The good rains stay mostly sw of south central Pa and extreme N.Md.  something to watch

The whole week has been a fizzle so far except for certain areas east of the Susq. River. and Shrewsbury which has receive 5" of rain since Saturday. 

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

3 days ago was looking like a fun week of convection. 

Areas in southeast Pa, DE,Jersey looked to be the driest tomorrow and Friday but many of those areas have been dumped on past day or 2 . I'd like to get a flush hit TS imby before the week is out though 

If we miss out this week a full on drought could be on.  

57 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The whole week has been a fizzle so far except for certain areas east of the Susq. River. and Shrewsbury which has receive 5" of rain since Saturday. 

Yesterday at work in Harrisburg, it down poured for a solid 20-30 minutes. not even 1 mile away west as the crow flies, 37 drops of rain. 

6 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Yesterday at work in Harrisburg, it down poured for a solid 20-30 minutes. not even 1 mile away west as the crow flies, 37 drops of rain. 

I mentioned it yesterday but really seems like Harrisburg and East/South score in these types of patterns.  Not everyone but out west there is very little scoring the last couple years.  Maybe that changes this week. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

You still have 2-3 nights in the 40's next week.

I’d trade all 3 midweek days for a Saturday without question. I do like the 6z GFS “hurricane remnants mitigate the heat” solution in the longer term.

14 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

On the subject of heat, MDT reaches 100 fairly regularly, right? Like a 5-10 year event?

Between June 25 and Aug 10, the daily high max at MDT has been 100 or over 30 of the 47 days so not at all uncommon.  Some of those were same year/multi-day events but I am sure there are other days where it has hit 100 more than once on that day in the past.   I bet someone has exact stats but would say its not at all a "rare" event. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Between June 25 and Aug 10, the daily high max at MDT has been 100 or over 30 of the 47 days so not at all uncommon.  Some of those were same year/multi-day events but I am sure there are other days where it has hit 100 more than once on that day in the past.   I bet someone has exact stats but would say its not at all a "rare" event. 

Paging @Jns2183 - JSN2183 to the batphone. 

• Haha 1