• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Spring 2021

Just now, Jns2183 said:

Maybe if the storms all pop up over everyone and decide not to move for a few hours

Ha.  The thing that I do not like about this regime is that Lancaster and York always seem to be the winners....similar to tornado alley down there.  The summer of 2020 was like this much of the season and I got very little out here.  

6 hours ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

It's 78 degrees with a dew point of 71 at 2:30 am...I can't imagine anyone without ac sleeping pleasantly tonight

I got a shower at 9 last night. We had a fire call at 10 (nothing serious) i was completely drenched in sweat. Came home and showered again. 1206am we had another call (nothing serious) again, completely soaked. came home home and showered again. and laid wide awake until 330 :blink: 

Once the DP climbs above 68 or so, which is much more common now than ever (we shattered every record heat month in the back of our minimum temps) I hate life. There isn’t a damn difference between here and central Florida for probably 1/2 the summer

11 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Once the DP climbs above 68 or so, which is much more common now than ever (we shattered every record heat month in the back of our minimum temps) I hate life. There isn’t a damn difference between here and central Florida for probably 1/2 the summer

But it rarely stays that high every single day.  We get summer cold fronts here.  DP's in the 40's possible this weekend. 

But it rarely stays that high every single day.  We get summer cold fronts here.  DP's in the 40's possible this weekend. 

A lot is dependent on Precipitation. That summer of record never ending rainfall was so insane because we managed to fall below normal fir highs but the lows were so ridiculously high due to the moisture we finished like top 5 warmest ever and you could just see people’s brains break when they heard that. Not to get off topic but that seems like one of the biggest challenges in dealing with public. People see warmest ever and all they think is how hot it got each day. Even though monthly records were always kept this way it might be easier to create a new category than change ingrained perception and bias which almost seems to backfire more as of likely. End of rant. I would love to see evidence of a below average rain summer and high minimum temps.

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

A lot is dependent on Precipitation. That summer of record never ending rainfall was so insane because we managed to fall below normal fir highs but the lows were so ridiculously high due to the moisture we finished like top 5 warmest ever and you could just see people’s brains break when they heard that. Not to get off topic but that seems like one of the biggest challenges in dealing with public. People see warmest ever and all they think is how hot it got each day. Even though monthly records were always kept this way it might be easier to create a new category than change ingrained perception and bias which almost seems to backfire more as of likely. End of rant. I would love to see evidence of a below average rain summer and high minimum temps.

Yea, I like the refreshing periods up here where a front passes through and it may get up into the 70's due to summer sun but the nights can get into the 50's.  If there is moisture around, the nights are not comfortable.    The problem is even if its 70's/50's,  the sun is going to dry out the ground and the low humidity will make the ground moisture even worse so a no rain but good feeling summer is bad for the farms. 

I have noticed, the last week or two, that the global models (all of them) are doing terribly at predicting the pop up convection type rains we have seen recently.  Broad brushing qpf for everyone.  Unfortunately in the last few days the non global Nam is doing the same thing.  Make using of most traditional models, for qpf forecast, fairly useless.   Re: here is what the 12Z Nam says we see this afternoon.  Almost every mile of PA gets rain.    Let me know when it happens.  I understand the lower resolution models will broad brush a bit too much but this is beyond broad brushing and just outright wrong (at least the last week or so).

image.png.0d475fd9f759f3d7dd806ee01f0f4617.png

I'm traveling up with a buddy to Tiadaghton State Forest in Lycoming a week from now to do a 3-4 day backpacking trip on the Black Forest Trail. Fingers crossed 1. The heat breaks for us and 2. The forecast is dry.

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

My parents in Texas have yet to hit 90. We've hit it at least 5 times. It's been a MUCH hotter start to summer here than in freaking Texas. (they also are flooded due to so much rain). The change in climate we're witnessing (whereas we are much more likely to get sustained hot/humid where those usual south places now get cold and wet) is nuts.