• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Spring 2021

43 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS says to pull out the light coats next weekend for the central part of the state.  Will see if this is another of its extreme missteps or if it is going to keep rolling pattern wise.  

Heatwave looks to be DOA. I wouldn’t bet against the cold air coming back, it’s already happened 4 times this spring, about 3 weeks apart each time. Next weekend would be a bit early by that pattern.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Heatwave looks to be DOA. I wouldn’t bet against the cold air coming back, it’s already happened 4 times this spring, about 3 weeks apart each time. Next weekend would be a bit early by that pattern.

Yea, looking at the upper air pattern the ridge never really sets up.  We are on the far western periphery of it this weekend then rain chances (mostly Western half of PA at that point) start back up on Monday as the ridge moves even father east.   The CMC is slowly stepping down off is extremes. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, looking at the upper air pattern the ridge never really sets up.  We are on the far western periphery of it this weekend then rain chances (mostly Western half of PA at that point) start back up on Monday as the ridge moves even father east.   The CMC is slowly stepping down off is extremes. 

That said, CTP still says MDT gets to 90 for four straight days, which I’m going to assume is somewhat rare for early June. As it stands right now, I won’t be seeing a 90 degree day just yet (and that’s fantastic).

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That said, CTP still says MDT gets to 90 for four straight days, which I’m going to assume is somewhat rare for early June.

The heat island there can do it based on experience.  Just glad the 95-100 temps appears to be diminishing as to a possibility and rain chances are right back on the docket all next week. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

The heat island there can do it based on experience.  Just glad the 95-100 temps appears to be diminishing as to a possibility. 

That’s the thing at Pittsburgh, with the airport being so far from the city, UHI is a bit mitigated in our official records.

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That said, CTP still says MDT gets to 90 for four straight days, which I’m going to assume is somewhat rare for early June. As it stands right now, I won’t be seeing a 90 degree day just yet (and that’s fantastic).

Piqued my curiosity so went back to 2000 and looked June 1-15.   It happened in 2008 with 4 days with a high mark of 94.  Only thing else close was 2017 when it was 3 days with a high water mark of 96.  What became evident is the highs the GFS predicts next weekend are MUCH more common.  I would say about half the Junes saw a high between 60-65 some day between June 1 and June 15.

46 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

.22" final tally here.  Not overly optimistic about today's chances either. 

.19" for me - I had to go down to Columbia last evening and as soon as I descended Chickies Hill it started raining. By the time I got to the grocery store on 462 it was a deluge. Got home an hour later...nothing. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

The heat island there can do it based on experience.  Just glad the 95-100 temps appears to be diminishing as to a possibility and rain chances are right back on the docket all next week. 

Too many rain chances. Tired of spending 3 hours washing my tractor trailer (boss sort of requires it) for barely one day of clean before it gets crapped up again.

I really should live in the desert with my warm and dry preferences, but unless I want a divorce (getting close to considering it) I can't move.

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Too many rain chances. Tired of spending 3 hours washing my tractor trailer (boss sort of requires it) for barely one day of clean before it gets crapped up again.

I really should live in the desert with my warm and dry preferences, but unless I want a divorce (getting close to considering it) I can't move.

Bold is unfortunate unless kidding.  I think your boss should have some sort of wash setup, the is large enough for you, to run your truck through.  But I totally agree with you in that if I take my car out even when the streets are just wet its just like it was never washed.  Frustrating sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Bold is unfortunate unless kidding.  I think your boss should have some sort of wash setup, the is large enough for you, to run your truck through.  But I totally agree with you in that if I take my car out even when the streets are just wet its just it was never washed.  Frustrating sometimes. 

We barely have enough room to park the trucks when everyone is in, so no wash rack. We have a pressure washer, but you still need soap and a brush to do it right.

As for the bolded, yes I'm kidding...

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

.19" for me - I had to go down to Columbia last evening and as soon as I descended Chickies Hill it started raining. By the time I got to the grocery store on 462 it was a deluge. Got home an hour later...nothing. 

Ah yes, the 'ol Maytown Island, as some in the realty business refer to it.  My wife and I are house shopping (awful in this market I know) and have had our eye on a couple places near Maytown.  Love the area and grew up going to Donegal until 5th grade but man it's just removed enough to be inconvenient getting to places.  A real lack of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc.  I know people in Marietta have the same issue with where to shop.  With that said, we are strongly considering it.  Would be curious to hear your pros and cons.

Highest total I could find for yesterday was 3.19" at a station in Willow Street.  Another one just to the west near Conestoga recorded 3.14".

Random fact of the day, when it comes to official reporting at ASOS sites, Meadville and Lancaster both recorded exactly .69" yesterday, with NE Philadelphia almost joining the party at .68".  This probably interests only me ha, carry on....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Ah yes, the 'ol Maytown Island, as some in the realty business refer to it.  My wife and I are house shopping (awful in this market I know) and have had our eye on a couple places near Maytown.  Love the area and grew up going to Donegal until 5th grade but man it's just removed enough to be inconvenient getting to places.  A real lack of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc.  I know people in Marietta have the same issue with where to shop.  With that said, we are strongly considering it.  Would be curious to hear your pros and cons.

I'll pm you later when I have a chance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Leaving EARLY tomorrow morning - next week looks Mostly Sunny with the daily 30% chance of a shower and highs around 80. I'm stoked! 

Next obs will be from Rodanthe, NC. 

I lied about my next observation- it's pouring here with CTG lightning and booming thunder. Far better than anything yesterday even if my total ends up rather meager.

• Like 1