• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

The daily climate report for MDT seems to be off for yesterday. They only put .11 of precip as the daily total on the overnight daily climate summary. It looked like there were a few rounds of showers to pass through Middletown yesterday and last evening.

The hourly precip reports for MDT show nothing recorded since 5/24. 

On 5/25/2021 at 10:08 AM, TimB84 said:

Side note: I hate when a chance at a record cold max gets derailed by crap like that (not that this was probably the case at MDT yesterday), but I don’t mind when a chance at a record warm min gets derailed by a late day cold front.

I have a feeling this phenomenon will screw both PIT and MDT on Saturday. (Midnight high temp)

Well I ended up with .54" for the day yesterday, so @Itstrainingtime wins yet again.  Man did Longs Park ever take it on the chin last night.  LNP has a write-up about the damage with some good pics.  Lots of big trees down and here is a trailer that blew across Harrisburg Pike, thinking quite the little microburst hit that area.

storm damage 05-26-2021

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

At least for MDT, that cold front is pressing pretty good by midnight so although it may be higher than they say noon, the difference should not be too much. 

A degree or two could be enough to make the difference. But correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t the official daily data actually run from 1am-1am during Daylight Savings Time? That would help some if it’s true.

24 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well I ended up with .54" for the day yesterday, so @Itstrainingtime wins yet again.  Man did Longs Park ever take it on the chin last night.  LNP has a write-up about the damage with some good pics.  Lots of big trees down and here is a trailer that blew across Harrisburg Pike, thinking quite the little microburst hit that area.

storm damage 05-26-2021

Thank goodness there wasn't a concert or other large event ongoing in the park at the time. 

29 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

storm damage 05-26-2021

WOW. That is crazy!

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The daily climate report for MDT seems to be off for yesterday. They only put .11 of precip as the daily total on the overnight daily climate summary. It looked like there were a few rounds of showers to pass through Middletown yesterday and last evening.

The hourly precip reports for MDT show nothing recorded since 5/24. 

Hmmmmm .11 that could be right I suppose.  That area seemed to be a bit of a nadir in terms of totals, judging by the radar estimates.  Also a couple Weather Underground stations just to the west on top of the ridge reported a bit under .2 so it's possible it downsloped to .11 by the time it hit MDT.  Who knows, just a thought, but anything is possible with good 'ol MDT ha.

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Only got .08" rain yesterday, pretty much skirted to the south of me.

I saw that there was reports of hail yesterday.Anybody buddy end up with any of that?

Quite a few reports of 1/4-1/2" in the berks/schuylkhill area.  Largest reports came from Benton and Columbia (Lancaster Co.) though......

0245 PM     HAIL             BENTON                  41.20N 76.38W
05/26/2021  E1.00 INCH       COLUMBIA           PA   PUBLIC
0734 PM     HAIL             1 N COLUMBIA            40.05N 76.50W
05/26/2021  E0.88 INCH       LANCASTER          PA   PUBLIC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Quite a few reports of 1/4-1/2" in the berks/schuylkhill area.  Largest reports came from Benton and Columbia (Lancaster Co.) though......

0245 PM     HAIL             BENTON                  41.20N 76.38W
05/26/2021  E1.00 INCH       COLUMBIA           PA   PUBLIC

0734 PM     HAIL             1 N COLUMBIA            40.05N 76.50W
05/26/2021  E0.88 INCH       LANCASTER          PA   PUBLIC

That hail producing storm in Columbia is the one that JUST missed us south early in the evening - I'm 4 miles N of Columbia and got nothing at all from that one.

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That hail producing storm in Columbia is the one that JUST missed us south early in the evening - I'm 4 miles N of Columbia and got nothing at all from that one.

Yep I was in the same boat, could tell it packed a punch though.  I was camped out on the front porch watching some pretty wicked cloud formation just to my south.  So, my buddy who works for Lancaster City is on site at Longs Park and says they have never seen anything like it, over 75 large trees down.  They are sending photos and drone footage to NWS for investigation.

Yep I was in the same boat, could tell it packed a punch though.  I was camped out on the front porch watching some pretty wicked cloud formation just to my south.  So, my buddy who works for Lancaster City is on site at Longs Park and says they have never seen anything like it, over 75 large trees down.  They are sending photos and drone footage to NWS for investigation.

Incredible. And of course I was in Hagerstown MD where we had a nice sun shower for 3 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Incredible. And of course I was in Hagerstown MD where we had a nice sun shower for 3 minutes.

The WU station nearest to Longs Park immediately to its east (believe it may be Jones Honda) recorded a 33mph gust right as that storm hit and then its weather station was knocked out for a while so who knows how powerful that gust was.

11 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Anyone have access to the archives of level 2 data? Would be interested in seeing velocity loop for that storm.

I would like that as well.  Wasn't aware of any rotation but the clouds were doing some crazy things as that passed by just to my southeast.

5 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Lots of large branches and debris down along PA-225 a couple miles north of Elizabethville. Guessing a microburst there as well?

I saw a number of storm damage reports from up above Halifax and Berrysburg and whatnot so yes that area got hit pretty hard as well.  One report of a barn blown over.

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If I am reading MDT's info correctly, which I might not be, any daily highs of 50 or less will break a record for any day going forward.   Like @TimB84 mentioned, a record could be lost due to the midnight/1AM thing. 

Failing to reach 50 would shatter daily records, I think they’re in the upper 50s both Sat/Sun.

• Like 1