Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Spring 2021

Just now, sauss06 said:

You think?

It's really unusual to get 50+ gusts for 8 hours. This won't be a one-type gust thing, this will be like 40 gusts above 50. Sustained 30 mph winds with those gusts is tropical-like stuff. I think Sandy or Isabelle was prob the last time we've seen this so strong. 

• Like 1

Just now, canderson said:

It's really unusual to get 50+ gusts for 8 hours. This won't be a one-type gust thing, this will be like 40 gusts above 50. Sustained 30 mph winds with those gusts is tropical-like stuff. I think Sandy or Isabelle was prob the last time we've seen this so strong. 

aren't you a ray of sunshine today :D 

better leave work early to get necessities

b

e

e

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

What were your local impacts from the 2/24/19 event?

Well, this event made me bite the bullet and buy a new weather station. I had an Accu-Rite that was pretty good, but the wind sensor never worked right. Today it's showing my my max gust at 18 mph, and even during Sandy only had a gust of 26 mph. I was doubling them to come more in line with other nearby stations, but it's not accurate doing that. But after 10 years, the temp sensor, or I think the fan aspirator had quit working, so my afternoon highs were way off, including a 122 one day last summer when we were actually in the mid 90's. Humidity is backwards too. Reading 99% when it's sunny and 2% when it's raining.

Anyway, here's my new present to me... https://ambientweather.com/amws2000.html

It has good reviews, so I hope it's accurate and reliable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Well, this event made me bite the bullet and buy a new weather station. I had an Accu-Rite that was pretty good, but the wind sensor never worked right. Today it's showing my my max gust at 18 mph, and even during Sandy only had a gust of 26 mph. I was doubling them to come more in line with other nearby stations, but it's not accurate doing that. But after 10 years, the temp sensor, or I think the fan aspirator had quit working, so my afternoon highs were way off, including a 122 one day last summer when we were actually in the mid 90's. Humidity is backwards too. Reading 99% when it's sunny and 2% when it's raining.

Anyway, here's my new present to me... https://ambientweather.com/amws2000.html

It has good reviews, so I hope it's accurate and reliable.

It's a very good system. Where do you mount the wind gauge? I have a simple bluetooth one on top of my garage eave. 

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

It's a very good system. Where do you mount the wind gauge? I have a simple bluetooth one on top of my garage eave. 

I don't know yet. Thinking of putting a 10 ft long, one inch pole in the ground alongside a fence post in the middle of the yard with some zip ties to help keep it more stable. I have a small yard in an urban type location, so it's not quite as open as I'd like.

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I don't know yet. Thinking of putting a 10 ft long, one inch pole in the ground alongside a fence post in the middle of the yard with some zip ties to help keep it more stable. I have a small yard in an urban type location, so it's not quite as open as I'd like.

Yeah, we have pretty similar backyards (but I have a garage on the end of mine) so was curious. 

Edit: Just had a 51 gust.

Double edit: 52. Sh1t's cranking.

Wow.  Now I think I'm getting a wee-bit nervous over these winds.  I have a bunch of 70-90 foot trees with relatively small trunks lining my back yard.  With the most recent set of winds sustained at 35 and gusting to 45 twigs and some small branches have already come down as well as a fair number of leaves.  If any one of those trees came down towards the back of my home it would be very damaging.  Plus my wife works from home on the second floor right next to some rear windows and I sit in the family room directly underneath her, also right at the rear edge of the home.  It's pretty scary just watching the huge sway with each gust.  And to think it may get worse over the next few hours and become even more sustained.  I've had a ton of 40mph gusts now.  They were occurring almost every few minutes.  Yup, there goes another gust to 45.  Haven't hit 50 yet.  I had a few in the low 50's with some events earlier this year but nothing that was sustained like this.  One other thing...the temperature has been dropping from an hour ago.  Now back down to 59 whereas it was 64 an hour ago.

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Wow.  Now I think I'm getting a wee-bit nervous over these winds.  I have a bunch of 70-90 foot trees with relatively small trunks lining my back yard.  With the most recent set of winds sustained at 35 and gusting to 45 twigs and some small branches have already come down as well as a fair number of leaves.  If any one of those trees came down towards the back of my home it would be very damaging.  Plus my wife works from home on the second floor right next to some rear windows and I sit in the family room directly underneath her, also right at the rear edge of the home.  It's pretty scary just watching the huge sway with each gust.  And to think it may get worse over the next few hours and become even more sustained.  I've had a ton of 40mph gusts now.  They were occurring almost every few minutes.  Yup, there goes another gust to 45.  Haven't hit 50 yet.  I had a few in the low 50's with some events earlier this year but nothing that was sustained like this.  One other thing...the temperature has been dropping from an hour ago.  Now back down to 59 whereas it was 64 an hour ago.

I'm nervous too. I've had 3 gusts over 50 - my temp has slowly fallen from a high of 67 down to 63 now. 

I'm ready for this to be over, but we have many hours left.