• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

30 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

haha...same here.  Peak of 86.0 now down to 85.5.  Only 1.5 degrees away from "upper" 80's.

Edit>> NWS grid forecast high for me is 86.  Glad to see the more pleasant 60's will be making a comeback by Friday and the weekend.  Heating season in my house has not yet ended.  I have no problem with running either AC or heat and switching between them.  It seems like some of you talk like once the switch to A/C occurs, you cannot go back to heat or it would be blasphemy!  Whatever it takes to keep me comfy in my home is what I like.  It's the #1 thing for me where I'll spend any amount of money to keep myself feely comfortable.  At 67 I'd have the heat on for sure.  I'm cold below 72.  I guess I've been hanging out at my in-laws a little too much as I have actually gotten used to their heat setting of 78 !!  My mother-in-law is 89.  I guess this is what happens to you when you reach that age.

Last week, (the day we had snow showers/flurries) my house had gotten down to 58 - my wife gave me "the look" and like a good, dutiful husband...I turned the heat back on. I knew it was the right thing to do - but you're right, once the heat goes off, it's hard for me to turn it back on. I suspect that won't happen again until November. Maybe. :)  

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We have 8 more weeks until the amount of daylight starts to decrease...

Ahhhh yes, the summer solstice.  My favorite day of the year. :rolleyes:

While some of you were talking about your upcoming trips to Florida, I am looking forward to a vacation in Alaska at the end of June!  My wife's nephew is an F-35 pilot/trainer and was deployed to Fairbanks last summer.  We are going up to see he and his wife as well as visiting Denali National Forest and also going to Anchorage to take a whale-hunting boat trip among other fun activities.  I really wanted to be able to go up to the arctic circle which is about 5 hours north of Fairbanks so I could witness perpetual daylight.  But we couldn't swing that on this upcoming trip.  I'll have to settle for 21 1/2 hours of daylight in Fairbanks instead.  It will only be a week after the solstice so I'll get almost the closest experience of extended daylight.  The sun sets at around 12:45am and then rises just 2 1/2 hours later at 3:15am.  Maybe on my next trip up I'll go near the winter solstice to experience near-perpetual darkness along with a good chance of seeing the northern lights which are very prominent up there during the winter months.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

While some of you were talking about your upcoming trips to Florida, I am looking forward to a vacation in Alaska at the end of June!  My wife's nephew is an F-35 pilot/trainer and was deployed to Fairbanks last summer.  We are going up to see he and his wife as well as visiting Denali National Forest and also going to Anchorage to take a whale-hunting boat trip among other fun activities.  I really wanted to be able to go up to the arctic circle which is about 5 hours north of Fairbanks so I could witness perpetual daylight.  But we couldn't swing that on this upcoming trip.  I'll have to settle for 21 1/2 hours of daylight in Fairbanks instead.  It will only be a week after the solstice so I'll get almost the closest experience of extended daylight.  The sun sets at around 12:45am and then rises just 2 1/2 hours later at 3:15am.  Maybe on my next trip up I'll go near the winter solstice to experience near-perpetual darkness along with a good chance of seeing the northern lights which are very prominent up there during the winter months.

That should be an awesome trip for you.  I went to Alaska for the first time a couple years ago (over July 4th) and happened to be there to witness weather history -- that being the first time in history Anchorage hit 90 degrees.  Still got to frolic in some snow on the mountain tops though.  It never stops getting weird when you leave the bar after midnight and it's full light out.  What a place, everyone should visit once.  I've never seen beauty like it anywhere else I've traveled, not even a close second really.

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

That should be an awesome trip for you.  I went to Alaska for the first time a couple years ago (over July 4th) and happened to be there to witness weather history -- that being the first time in history Anchorage hit 90 degrees.  Still got to frolic in some snow on the mountain tops though.  It never stops getting weird when you leave the bar after midnight and it's full light out.  What a place, everyone should visit once.  I've never seen beauty like it anywhere else I've traveled, not even a close second really.

Thanks for sharing.  We'll have plenty of time to observe the scenery because we are taking a train trip that lasts for 7 hours between Fairbanks and Anchorage.  I love train rides and I love being able to sit while I'm enjoying the passing scenery...lol.

3 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my parents used to live in Alaska. Were married there, in fact. My dad served in the Army at Fort Richardson, where temps would often fall to -40 in the winter. Perhaps that is where my love of cold weather comes from. :)

It is a beautiful state, especially as soon as you get outside of Anchorage proper. My favorite areas are up near Denali and also further south towards Seward. In fact, Seward might be my favorite town I've ever visited. Standing along the water, breathing in the salt air while being surrounded by snow-capped mountains is REALLY cool.. 

1 hour ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Thanks for sharing.  We'll have plenty of time to observe the scenery because we are taking a train trip that lasts for 7 hours between Fairbanks and Anchorage.  I love train rides and I love being able to sit while I'm enjoying the passing scenery...lol.

That sounds like an epic trip, enjoy!

Please post some photos on here when you get back.

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

That sounds awesome. I need to visit there someday!

16 hours ago, canderson said:

I miss winter. 

11 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, a thousand times, yes, me too!

I know that differing likes and opinions are what makes the world great, and it would be dull if everyone was the same, but I just can't fathom the love of winter. I get not liking high heat and humidity, but what's not to like about 75 degree days and a green, living, vibrant landscape? What is so enduring about winter that you guys like trees that look like dead skeletons, brown dead looking grass, a monotone and dull landscape, sunsets at 4:30pm, and air that makes you shiver and shake?

I'm not trolling with this post, I'm just trying to understand.

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I know that differing likes and opinions are what makes the world great, and it would be dull if everyone was the same, but I just can't fathom the love of winter. I get not liking high heat and humidity, but what's not to like about 75 degree days and a green, living, vibrant landscape? What is so enduring about winter that you guys like trees that look like dead skeletons, brown dead looking grass, a monotone and dull landscape, sunsets at 4:30pm, and air that makes you shiver and shake?

When those “dead skeletons”, “brown dead looking grass”, and “monotone and dull landscape” are covered in beautiful white snow in the somewhat longer days of February, four of the five problems you mentioned are solved!

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

My wife and I were talking about this a month or so ago, just before everything started to green up. We walk on a local river trail 5-6 days a week, every week, 12 months a year. We enjoy watching nature change around us through each season. One thing we love about winter is being able to see things that you can't during the growing season because the foliage blocks it. (you can see farther in the woods when trees are barren) Also, wind sounds so much different now than it does in November. 

Steve, I've come to enjoy more than just winter (though I HATE hot weather) as each season brings with it unique experiences outside. We find nothing dull about the landscape in winter, we think it's just as beautiful as it is in full bloom. And walking on the trail on a crisp winter day honestly is invigorating for both of us. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

That will be awesome, enjoy the sights!  It's amazing how far away everything is in Alaska once you get out of Anchorage proper, "Hey we're going to go to the next town over" is an all-day affair haha.....

13 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my parents used to live in Alaska. Were married there, in fact. My dad served in the Army at Fort Richardson, where temps would often fall to -40 in the winter. Perhaps that is where my love of cold weather comes from. :)

It is a beautiful state, especially as soon as you get outside of Anchorage proper. My favorite areas are up near Denali and also further south towards Seward. In fact, Seward might be my favorite town I've ever visited. Standing along the water, breathing in the salt air while being surrounded by snow-capped mountains is REALLY cool.. 

I love the small touristy town of Talkeetna and the views of Denali from there along the Sustina River, just breathtaking.  Yes places like Seward are truly one of a kind!  I loved the village of Whitter, you have to drive through an old one lane train tunnel carved out of rock (traffic is stopped for hours on each side of the tunnel and has set times of day you can go through) and when you come out on the other side you are greeted by this tiny boating town nestled along Caribbean-like blue waters with glaciers surrounding you, in the middle of summer, surreal.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

I genuinely think a winter landscape is prettier than a summer landscape. Once everything blooming fades off in spring, it's not pretty to me anymore. 

Another reason is very selfish: I have extreme sensitivity to the sun - in the winter I can be outside and not worry about it for hours and hours so much. In summer, after 10 minutes I will be badly burned and run the risk of skin cancer down the line. 

18 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

That will be awesome, enjoy the sights!  It's amazing how far away everything is in Alaska once you get out of Anchorage proper, "Hey we're going to go to the next town over" is an all-day affair haha.....

I love the small touristy town of Talkeetna and the views of Denali from there along the Sustina River, just breathtaking.  Yes places like Seward are truly one of a kind!  I loved the village of Whitter, you have to drive through an old one lane train tunnel carved out of rock (traffic is stopped for hours on each side of the tunnel and has set times of day you can go through) and when you come out on the other side you are greeted by this tiny boating town nestled along Caribbean-like blue waters with glaciers surrounding you, in the middle of summer, surreal.

Talkeetna is really cool, I was going to mention it in my first reply but didn't want to get too wordy with it. Love sitting outside at lunchtime and soaking in the quirkiness of the town. And yes - heading north from there on the Parks Highway and crossing Hurricane Gulch "feels" like real Alaska. Man, talking about this has me pining to get back there. 

Fun fact: when I was there (2013) on the day we visited Denali National Park, the high for the day was 82 at MDT. The high that day in Fairbanks? 84. I wasn't prepared for that. (it was only in the low 60s down on the coast in Seward.) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

I genuinely think a winter landscape is prettier than a summer landscape. Once everything blooming fades off in spring, it's not pretty to me anymore. 

Another reason is very selfish: I have extreme sensitivity to the sun - in the winter I can be outside and not worry about it for hours and hours so much. In summer, after 10 minutes I will be badly burned and run the risk of skin cancer down the line. 

I love all seasons. Right now i'm digging this spring. I can't begin to explain the smells from my Lilacs (yall are sick of me talking about them) Someone pulled in my driveway last night and said wow that candle you have burning in your house smells good, i said thats all the Lilacs from out back, 75 yards away. 

Unlike you guys, i do like the sun and the heat, just not at bed time. 

5 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I love all seasons. Right now i'm digging this spring. I can't begin to explain the smells from my Lilacs (yall are sick of me talking about them) Someone pulled in my driveway last night and said wow that candle you have burning in your house smells good, i said thats all the Lilacs from out back, 75 yards away. 

Hah! I have never noticed our Lilac like I have this spring - it really does smell great!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Lilacs are my wife’s favorite. We have a busy and a tree and man they smell so nice. 

• Like 1