Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Spring 2021

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Handful of flakes around lunch right off 

rt 72 in Lancaster. Looked around for trees with white flowers...saw none. Hehe 

Car temp said 46. Seen it before but not often. 

Happy spring n  summer to all. 

Every time you sign off for the season and say Happy Spring and Summer,  we get some snow in the next week or two.  :-) Keep up the good work! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just breezed through the 12Z models and not one had more than a small speck of snow in PA right now.  It's like the whole event is being ignored by data.  

Yep. if we are going out with a Winter Bang this is the way to do it. I just went outside, wow cold blustery with some flakes. 

Low and behold CTP responded to me!

My question:  

why does the 5 min interval METAR data for KLNS show ten readings between 6-6:45am with a temp of 30 but the same site shows a 6 hour low of 31? The NWS regional roundup also shows LNS with a low of 31? Have noticed this in the past and with MDT as well. Thanks!

Their response: It has to do with rounding. The 5-min obs are rounded to the nearest °C, converted to °F, and rounded again. So the low temperature was likely no less than -0.8°C, which is 30.56°F. This showed up as -1°C ~ 30.2°F in the 5-min observation, but the temp never got below 30.5°F.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

My question:  

why does the 5 min interval METAR data for KLNS show ten readings between 6-6:45am with a temp of 30 but the same site shows a 6 hour low of 31? The NWS regional roundup also shows LNS with a low of 31? Have noticed this in the past and with MDT as well. Thanks!

Their response: It has to do with rounding. The 5-min obs are rounded to the nearest °C, converted to °F, and rounded again. So the low temperature was likely no less than -0.8°C, which is 30.56°F. This showed up as -1°C ~ 30.2°F in the 5-min observation, but the temp never got below 30.5°F.

Interesting.  There is still an issue with something whether the observation or their calculations. 

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Anyone hear any thoughts on why the models were so off today?  At this moment the whole Northeast is still covered with Precip not depicted on any model.  

I have no idea at all, but wonder:

Did yesterday's system "bomb out" stronger than anticipated, which in turn created a stronger gradient setup today? A strong NW flow combined with late April instability might cause more convection? 

The radar image you posted earlier had a very...convective look to it. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have no idea at all, but wonder:

Did yesterday's system "bomb out" stronger than anticipated, which in turn created a stronger gradient setup today? A strong NW flow combined with late April instability might cause more convection? 

The radar image you posted earlier had a very...convective look to it. 

Yes, but why are the models initializing  so poorly.  They are still wrong now.  I get it that models do not pick up fake snow all that well but usually they have some representation of the coverage.  Most of PA saw some snow today.   I saw a pic of someone who built a small snow man in Cumberland county (near Boiling Springs again). 

5 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

My question:  

Well it won’t get the low of 31 stricken from the record, but it at least seems to make sense. (Though what kind of system is this? This implies that 31.1 and 29.3 get displayed as 30.) But truly inspiring that you asked and they got back to you right away. Now I’m emboldened to try to settle my two issues with NWS Pittsburgh tomorrow - I was too busy today. But now this has me wondering if the +0.1 winter thing has something to do with this, let’s call it “compound rounding”, that they do.

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

CTP extending the warmth next week right through Friday. My point and click for Tuesday through Friday: 79, 81, 79, 74. 

It's going to be a hot week for at least two days. Break out the shorts!  MA is talking about low 90's which would be ridiculous.   I would be surprised if it gets too much above 60 on Friday though.   That front seems to mean business.    Guess it could be delayed. 

Edit I just noticed the EC delays the front until Saturday.  Different take and  big contributor to the difference in the big low next weekend I would guess. 

20 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Well it won’t get the low of 31 stricken from the record, but it at least seems to make sense. (Though what kind of system is this? This implies that 31.1 and 29.3 get displayed as 30.) But truly inspiring that you asked and they got back to you right away. Now I’m emboldened to try to settle my two issues with NWS Pittsburgh tomorrow - I was too busy today. But now this has me wondering if the +0.1 winter thing has something to do with this, let’s call it “compound rounding”, that they do.

Yeah I told them I didn’t care for their methodology but that I would allow it haha. You should definitely contact Pittsburgh and see what they say. 

5 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

LOL, when I posted that I knew you were going to be mad but hey...the models are the models. Not gonna snow for you.  Too warm.  

I know. At this point in time it's just funnin' around. That's why the laughing emoji at the end...

30 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah I told them I didn’t care for their methodology but that I would allow it haha. You should definitely contact Pittsburgh and see what they say. 

I would have asked to speak to the manager!

But in all seriousness, I’ll sit down this weekend and compose something. Did you do it via email or social media channels?