• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Confirming snow here in the historic district. Temp dropped quickly from 39 to 36 at the onset. Windy as crap, too. 

April snow is rare...April snow (accumulating in every county of the LSV except Lancaster up until now) with no mention of it in zones?    Maybe historic in its own right. 

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The GFS punt's early summer into the second week of May with continued normal or close to it temps outside the two days next week where it gets in the 70's.  Hope it is right....summer can wait until June 1 when summer starts.  :-) 

Next week might be sneaky warm midweek - definitely think at least low 80s are in play, especially Wednesday. 

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

This is almost like my beef with NWS Pittsburgh about their winter climate summary. December’s mean was 1.1 degrees above normal according to the monthly climate summary, January was +1.9 and February was -3.5, but the seasonal climate summary for DJF showed +0.1. Even if you assume that those numbers rounded to the tenth are the highest they could possibly be (1.1499, 1.9499, and -3.4501) and weight them by the number of days in the month, then divide by 90 days, you still get an average of -0.006, which I believe should be recorded as -0.0 when rounded to the tenth on the seasonal climate summary. Should I call them?

Call them and state it exactly as you did here non stop assuming they are writing it all down.  

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You are not even the only one on this board much less only person period.   Call them and point it out.  Don't let their faulty equipment, whether the low readings were too low or not record, take away from the real score!  :-) 

You have inspired me.  I have reached out to CTP and will let you know what I hear back.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

This is almost like my beef with NWS Pittsburgh about their winter climate summary. December’s mean was 1.1 degrees above normal according to the monthly climate summary, January was +1.9 and February was -3.5, but the seasonal climate summary for DJF showed +0.1. Even if you assume that those numbers rounded to the tenth are the highest they could possibly be (1.1499, 1.9499, and -3.4501) and weight them by the number of days in the month, then divide by 90 days, you still get an average of -0.006, which I believe should be recorded as -0.0 when rounded to the tenth on the seasonal climate summary. Should I call them?

Hello my brother from another mother.  Yes do it, hold them accountable!  haha i love this.  But seriously we deserve answers.

• Like 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

You have inspired me.  I have reached out to CTP and will let you know what I hear back.

Hello my brother from another mother.  Yes do it, hold them accountable!  haha i love this.  But seriously we deserve answers.

And that’s not the only thing I have to b*tch about with the NWS. In early September 2018, there were some suspect temperature readings at PIT that were several degrees higher than any other nearby location, which persisted for about a week, and it still bothers me to this day. I mentioned it in the Western PA thread on here a little while back and someone seemed to recall something about them getting new equipment that needed to be recalibrated. A daily record high was tied and a record warm min was set during that stretch, but more importantly, temperatures running 3 degrees above what I think they should have been for a week vaulted that September into the warmest one ever recorded since observations moved to the airport in 1948.

32 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You have been the jackpot for spring snows this year.  Two Lake Effect events in a row where you had snow+ with that one a few weeks ago where you were the only one on here. 

It seems weird because I was thinking that you and @Cashtown_Coop and @Itstrainingtime were getting jackpots.  Most likely all of us has been a bullseye for snow showers / squalls at some point.  After nearly an hour of continuous snow falling...and almost 30 minutes of it falling heavily...it's winding down.  I just have larger flakes but they're falling in slow motion.  Mulch whiteness is rapidly disappearing.  I took a bunch of pics.  Maybe I'll try to put something up on here a little later.  One great shot of my pink dogwood in full bloom with all the blossoms covered in snow.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  Temp still holding, at 33.4 degrees, but I see patches of blue sky breaking through to my northwest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And that’s not the only thing I have to b*tch about with the NWS. In early September 2018, there were some suspect temperature readings at PIT that were several degrees higher than any other nearby location, which persisted for about a week, and it still bothers me to this day. I mentioned it in the Western PA thread on here a little while back and someone seemed to recall something about them getting new equipment that needed to be recalibrated. A daily record high was tied and a record warm min was set during that stretch, but more importantly, temperatures running 3 degrees above what I think they should have been for a week vaulted that September into the warmest one ever recorded since observations moved to the airport in 1948.

Preach brotha! We had a similar instance with the Lancaster station a couple years back where it was obviously reading a few degrees high but luckily local Met Eric Horst pointed it out and it got corrected fairly quickly.  I say "fairly" because I believe it was still a few weeks where it was faulty.  Now, Lancaster isn't used the same way Harrisburg and Pittsburgh are as official climate record keeping stations but it was still frustrating.  Good to know I'm not the only one who gets worked up about such things haha.

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Preach brotha! We had a similar instance with the Lancaster station a couple years back where it was obviously reading a few degrees high but luckily local Met Eric Horst pointed it out and it got corrected fairly quickly.  I say "fairly" because I believe it was still a few weeks where it was faulty.  Now, Lancaster isn't used the same way Harrisburg and Pittsburgh are as official climate record keeping stations but it was still frustrating.  Good to know I'm not the only one who gets worked up about such things haha.

Likewise. I thought something was wrong with me.

It snowed here for a good 15 minutes. It didn't stick to anything cause it's windier than Dade County during Andrew, but it was so pretty. 

I’m predicting in the next 5 years we get a tropical system tearing through here that gives you all the wind you never wanted x 100

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

It seems weird because I was thinking that you and @Cashtown_Coop and @Itstrainingtime were getting jackpots.  Most likely all of us has been a bullseye for snow showers / squalls at some point.  After nearly an hour of continuous snow falling...and almost 30 minutes of it falling heavily...it's winding down.  I just have larger flakes but they're falling in slow motion.  Mulch whiteness is rapidly disappearing.  I took a bunch of pics.  Maybe I'll try to put something up on here a little later.  One great shot of my pink dogwood in full bloom with all the blossoms covered in snow.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.  Temp still holding, at 33.4 degrees, but I see patches of blue sky breaking through to my northwest.

I have not had much accumulating snow since February. Just light mulch toppers.    Definitely not anything like you had a couple weeks ago (remember I drove into Carlisle that day and was quite surprised)

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Voyager is going to be so confused.  We have a hot thread on our hand and half the posts are about an April Snow that NWS missed and the other about 80's next week.

:wacko:

Oh, and we had a couple of snow showers in Tamaqua last night. I did see the warmth for Wednesday. CTP had 74 for my backyard in this morning's forecast.

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sandy's winds in the 60s and 70s for however many hours wasn't good enough for you? 

I hope it does tear through as the flooding is my worry.  I think it would take an extreme event and approach angle to have sustained winds too high in the LSV.  I guess if a Cat 4 or up came right up the Chessie and was flying we could be in for 80-100 sustained which would do an incredible amount of damage here.  It would change the area forever as politicians would be reactive and change building codes. We would have some houses with their tops ripped off when their garages cave in.  That old garage door is your worse enemy. 

This tropical talk will have me dreaming that we skipped Summer and fall is upon us.