• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Spring 2021

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Not many days can you mow your grass with snow flurries. Got to take advantage of that :lol:.  :snowing:

24 minutes ago, Voyager said:

And I did just that when I got home from work. The fertilizer I put down a week and a half ago kicked in and it needed it...

My grass is as green as I've seen it in years. I could mow every 3 days right now the way it's growing...twice a week is enough for me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My grass is as green as I've seen it in years. I could mow every 3 days right now the way it's growing...twice a week is enough for me. 

I did mine on Saturday and again this afternoon. Had I waited for the weekend, I'd have had to raise the blades or I'd have cut more off than what is generally accepted turf practice.

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Even crappy yards look good right now. It’s been an amazing start to the growing season - hopefully the next two nights don’t do much damage. 

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Even crappy yards look good right now. It’s been an amazing start to the growing season - hopefully the next two nights don’t do much damage. 

I can confirm, as my crappy yard looks better than ever :lol:

I bottomed out at 29 last night, not too shabby.  Loving the look of this winter-time radar.  Looks like one more chilly breezy day today but then perhaps 80 by the middle of next week.

It was actually flurrying here for a little bit. Pretty shocked this is the 2nd year in a row where we'd had snow fall extremely late in the year. I can't really remember any year in recent memory besides the snow squall in early may last year where we've had snow this late. I'm guessing it's probably happened a lot in the past but I've been so used to how warm it's been the past 2 decades that it seems weird when it does snow this late.

Also interesting is we've still yet to hit 80 degrees in harrisburg this year. Just about every year this past decade I remember seeing multiple days hitting 80+ in feb/mar/apr

13 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I think today was a Jr version of our May snow last year.  Not as impressive but still quite unique. The record for MDT is 30 tonight.  Probably not but within reach. 

The record for MDT for today was 31 but it looks like they bottomed out at 35, which of course is at least a few degrees higher than every other reporting station around.  What's new.  Heck, even CXY hit 32.

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

The record for MDT for today was 31 but it looks like they bottomed out at 35, which of course is at least a few degrees higher than every other reporting station around.  What's new.  Heck, even CXY hit 32.

I counted that in to my probably not thought.  I was fairly confident non city locations where headed for the upper 20's last night. The HRRR is rarely "too cold" so it was a warning to me. 

• Thanks 1

It was actually flurrying here for a little bit. Pretty shocked this is the 2nd year in a row where we'd had snow fall extremely late in the year. I can't really remember any year in recent memory besides the snow squall in early may last year where we've had snow this late. I'm guessing it's probably happened a lot in the past but I've been so used to how warm it's been the past 2 decades that it seems weird when it does snow this late.

Also interesting is we've still yet to hit 80 degrees in harrisburg this year

We will 80 early next week. This is winters farewell right now. Let us take a moment and be thankful for all the excitement it brought us this year. A year after the worst winter on record.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

We will 80 early next week. This is winters farewell right now. Let us take a moment and be thankful for all the excitement it brought us this year. A year after the worst winter on record.

That streamer near Harrisburg may clip MDT and put a trace on the board.  It would be an appropriate farewell and put a smile on Blizz's face. I have a smile on my face from reading the MA Ob's board.   Watch for a sneaky freeze tonight.  

On 4/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Looks like I bottomed out at 24 last night, not too shabby.  Currently sitting at a brisk 34.  I only got .22" of precip (no flurries or graupel witnessed here but plenty of reports around the area), which makes for several events in a row now where I've gotten significantly less precip than modeled.  Anyway, maybe someone on here can help me out with this little conundrum.  The official low last night for MDT is shown as 29; however, when you look at the actual 5-minute interval METAR data there are a number of instances where the temp hit 28 (see: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=kmdt).  So, why the heck isn't 28 listed as the official low?  I have noticed this on other occasions as well.  Mount Joy Snowman demands answers!

Yes this is me quoting myself from 20 days ago but apparently nobody heard me when I said I demand answers.  I kid I kid.  This has happened again but this time for Lancaster.  If you look at the 5-minute interval data for KLNS there are literally ten readings between 6:00am and 6:45am where the temp was 30, yet the very same site lists the 6-hour minimum during that period as 31.  Furthermore, the official NWS regional roundup also shows the 12 hour low temp (ending at 8am this morning) as 31 for LNS.  What is happening!?  And yes, I'm fully aware that I may be the only person who cares about this enigma haha.

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yes this is me quoting myself from 20 days ago but apparently nobody heard me when I said I demand answers.  I kid I kid.  This has happened again but this time for Lancaster.  If you look at the 5-minute intervals data for KLNS there are literally ten readings between 6:00am and 6:45am where the temp was 30, yet the very same site lists the 6-hour minimum during that period as 31.  Furthermore, the official NWS regional roundup also shows the 12 hour low temp (ending at 8am this morning) as 31 for LNS.  What is happening!?  And yes, I'm fully aware that I may be the only person who cares about this enigma haha.

You are not even the only one on this board much less only person period.   Call them and point it out.  Don't let their faulty equipment, whether the low readings were too low or not record, take away from the real score!  :-) 

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You are not even the only one on this board much less only person period.   Call them and point it out.  Don't let their faulty equipment, whether the low readings were too low or not record, take away from the real score!  :-) 

This is almost like my beef with NWS Pittsburgh about their winter climate summary. December’s mean was 1.1 degrees above normal according to the monthly climate summary, January was +1.9 and February was -3.5, but the seasonal climate summary for DJF showed +0.1. Even if you assume that those numbers rounded to the tenth are the highest they could possibly be (1.1499, 1.9499, and -3.4501) and weight them by the number of days in the month, then divide by 90 days, you still get an average of -0.006, which I believe should be recorded as -0.0 when rounded to the tenth on the seasonal climate summary (which does matter, since it’s the difference between an above average season and a below average season). Should I call them?