• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Spring 2021

31 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yeah...I'm nowhere near ready for hot and humid weather (I never am) but I am getting anxious to get the garden and flower beds cranking and start planting. 

I haven't planted anything yet, but our perennials are established already. Bleeding Hearts are about 10 inches high and the Black Eyed Susans are growing. Tulips are ready to pop open. Ma Nature has 'em going good so far.

8 hours ago, Voyager said:

I haven't planted anything yet, but our perennials are established already. Bleeding Hearts are about 10 inches high and the Black Eyed Susans are growing. Tulips are ready to pop open. Ma Nature has 'em going good so far.

I would hope that if it just gets to near 30 there will not be major damage.  A littlr worried here because we have been running several degrees colder than guidance on many of the chilly spring mornings and mid 20's will do damage. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I would hope that if it just gets to near 30 there will not be major damage.  A littlr worried here because we have been running several degrees colder than guidance on many of the chilly spring mornings and mid 20's will do damage. 

I planted sugar peas and regular peas yesterday. Hopefully it warms up to get more veggies in the ground

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jns2183 said:

One reason I brought it up was due to a discovery I made while looking at the historical precipitation data for Harrisburg. For a good number of years the station was located at capital city airport before its move to HIA in I think 1991. Capital city had like a year of no data before it started reporting once more. Straight line the 2 stations are no more than 3 or 4 miles from each other. Despite this proximity capital city had a precipitation total that was less than HIA 29/30 years and I believe it was around 10%. Even when I broke up year into quarters this effect was constant throughout. I’ll have to dig up all the research I did but I came away convinced this was not just random, not instrument or human error, that it clearly involved some microclimate effect. The only one that sense was capital city proximity to some of larger hills like in northern York county. It just shocked me that the effect was that large.

This is fascinating, perhaps some mild downsloping effects from the high hills you mentioned?  I mean, MDT also has a decent ridgeline on the other side of the river to contend with but perhaps not as much blocking it from the prevailing storm direction as would the hills around CXY.  Who knows but interesting nonetheless. 

On 4/18/2021 at 2:21 AM, Blizzard of 93 said:

Most of the general public have no idea what normal temps or precip should be for a given month. Most just remember the major events but don’t recall the typical days. They think that the weather is just not like what it was back when they grew up. 
I try to remind people that many of the extremes have happened decades ago, and will likely happen once again some year.

Aint this the truth, preach.

22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

So does the LSV just get a frost warning or a full freeze warning?   I have very reliable information that says a moderate frost should be proceeded by a freeze warning :-).

Accumulating snow will not be far away!

It is impressive that north west PA, Ohio & NY state could be getting snow over the next couple of days!

47 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Each new evening forecast cycle lowers my overnight low for Thursday morning by a degree. Now it's 29. Getting frustrated, and the weather is just adding insult to injury as far as life and my outlook on current circumstances is concerned...

Sorry to hear things aren’t going well, non-weather related. I don’t think you get that low fwiw. 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Each new evening forecast cycle lowers my overnight low for Thursday morning by a degree. Now it's 29. Getting frustrated, and the weather is just adding insult to injury as far as life and my outlook on current circumstances is concerned...

Outside the weather worries, prayers for you man.  

This is fascinating, perhaps some mild downsloping effects from the high hills you mentioned?  I mean, MDT also has a decent ridgeline on the other side of the river to contend with but perhaps not as much blocking it from the prevailing storm direction as would the hills around CXY.  Who knows but interesting nonetheless. 

It must be. Also watch anytime we get storms or a rain band that inches east and the cells flow more north to south. It seems like cells always fire right by you in mount joy or south ahead of the line

• Like 1