• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

I recorded 1.24" Sunday but yes there were some extreme amounts in a very isolated area (see dot on the map below around the Boro).  Couldn't find anything on Weather Underground much above 3" but gauges are kind of sparse down that way.  I definitely believe them, have seen it many times.  Plus the cells sunday night were very small, huge differences over very short distances wouldn't be shocking.  Just wasn't widespread enough to get much coverage, unfortunately. 
24hr_1.png&key=368ae9f9bea731b553c68561b679e5385a0148079e5665fb74ea25c0757f8c61

I forget what site has radar archives but if you look at that night there was slow movement of storms in line at beginning and cells in Lancaster were developing ahead and merging in. Some areas seemed to have storms hitting at multiple directions at once. Once these mergers took place the line seemed to increase speed.

Thanks for finding and posting that! I drove around the "Boro" yesterday (I grew up right outside of Washington Boro) and the evidence is there...still a lot of standing water on 441 between Columbia and WB, mud everywhere, and vegetation flattened. Also confirmed that the highest (6") amounts were centered right on 999 near the Tomato Barn. 
I'm hesitant to post info based on hearsay as I've been burned before, but as I said yesterday, the people who were talking to me know what they're talking about. Nice to have it confirmed! 

Was that same area that had those 10”+ rainfall amounts from storms that hit during the summer of record rain a few years ago?

It’s always interesting whenever you look at return time for events

2 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Was that same area that had those 10”+ rainfall amounts from storms that hit during the summer of record rain a few years ago?

Thinking you may be referring to August of 2018, which was my wettest month ever with 17.79 inches.  I had three separate daily rainfall totals of greater than 4" that month.  On August 31st I got 4.45" but just a couple miles to my north Mount Joy Borough got 8-10" in a 3-4 hour period that resulted in atrocious flash flooding.  It really caught everyone off guard as the storms just stalled out over that area.  I distinctly remember leaving the liquor store in downtown Mount Joy and thinking "oh shit I better get home quick", roads were already starting to flood, just barely got through in the nick of time.  Lots of people stranded that day.  What a summer that was.  July had a crazy event too where like 10" fell over a 4-5 day period and at one point Mount Joy was an island, cut off in nearly all directions due to Chiques Creek flooding.  My wife and I had to get to a Phillies game that day and were supposed to take the train from Mount Joy but couldn't get into town and had to rush to Lancaster train station instead.  Fun times. 

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

The funny thing about last May's snow showers was at about 2 to 3 days out it was ultra close to the incredible perfect setup that would of given several inches of snow to the M/D line and it trended just a bit north if I remember correctly( ask PSU Hoffman) Especially with that leftover PV lobe that rotated down . As far as April.  1983 was big for the northeast,  1996 , most recently 2014 where Carroll county received 2-6".  2012 was a sw Pa - Western Md crusher.  I chased that one 

Sounds like a Chattanooga Choo Choo. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

16 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thinking you may be referring to August of 2018, which was my wettest month ever with 17.79 inches.  I had three separate daily rainfall totals of greater than 4" that month.  On August 31st I got 4.45" but just a couple miles to my north Mount Joy Borough got 8-10" in a 3-4 hour period that resulted in atrocious flash flooding.  It really caught everyone off guard as the storms just stalled out over that area.  I distinctly remember leaving the liquor store in downtown Mount Joy and thinking "oh shit I better get home quick", roads were already starting to flood, just barely got through in the nick of time.  Lots of people stranded that day.  What a summer that was.  July had a crazy event too where like 10" fell over a 4-5 day period and at one point Mount Joy was an island, cut off in nearly all directions due to Chiques Creek flooding.  My wife and I had to get to a Phillies game that day and were supposed to take the train from Mount Joy but couldn't get into town and had to rush to Lancaster train station instead.  Fun times. 

I was at Hersheypark that day. There was hours of continuous, distant thunder but it never rained. Around 2:30 our son texted me and said how horrible things were in Mount Joy, where he worked at the time. He screenshot an image of my weather station showing 6.11" at home, but the Mt. Joy- Manheim corridor had between 8-11" of rain. 

@Jns2183 this would be roughly 10-12 miles from Sunday night's event.

• Like 1

I was at Hersheypark that day. There was hours of continuous, distant thunder but it never rained. Around 2:30 our son texted me and said how horrible things were in Mount Joy, where he worked at the time. He screenshot an image of my weather station showing 6.11" at home, but the Mt. Joy- Manheim corridor had between 8-11" of rain. 
[mention=4667]Jns2183[/mention] this would be roughly 10-12 miles from Sunday night's event.

One reason I brought it up was due to a discovery I made while looking at the historical precipitation data for Harrisburg. For a good number of years the station was located at capital city airport before its move to HIA in I think 1991. Capital city had like a year of no data before it started reporting once more. Straight line the 2 stations are no more than 3 or 4 miles from each other. Despite this proximity capital city had a precipitation total that was less than HIA 29/30 years and I believe it was around 10%. Even when I broke up year into quarters this effect was constant throughout. I’ll have to dig up all the research I did but I came away convinced this was not just random, not instrument or human error, that it clearly involved some microclimate effect. The only one that sense was capital city proximity to some of larger hills like in northern York county. It just shocked me that the effect was that large.

Yep.  People complaining and acting like normal temps are a major inconvenience. 

What I don’t get is they tend to be the same people who think everything is use global warming, believe the most extreme predictions, yet think we should average in the 70s by now and bitch about being so cold.

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's been an incredible spring by my standards. I've thoroughly enjoyed the AN days as much as the BN days like today. Every day like today is one less potentially hot and humid day!

I agree.

Today was a little chilly at times, but overall a great day to be outdoors getting a few projects done in the yard!

3 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

What I don’t get is they tend to be the same people who think everything is use global warming, believe the most extreme predictions, yet think we should average in the 70s by now and bitch about being so cold.

Most of the general public have no idea what normal temps or precip should be for a given month. Most just remember the major events but don’t recall the typical days. They think that the weather is just not like what it was back when they grew up. 
I try to remind people that many of the extremes have happened decades ago, and will likely happen once again some year.

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

I'm not liking the forecast low of 30 Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I hate dropping below freezing after established growth/greenup has taken place.

Yeah...I'm nowhere near ready for hot and humid weather (I never am) but I am getting anxious to get the garden and flower beds cranking and start planting.