Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Spring 2021

11 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Long sleeve shirt? What is that?  :lol:

It was chilly in the AM.  Man, we have been talking about drought and such.  The lake at the park is the worst I have ever seen it understanding that I was out of the area for 12 years.  

The majority of the circled area is either gone or down to just wet muddish areas.  The larger area is also very shallow in spots. 

image.thumb.png.cd08226cc9b0c8aa121a90febc8ee3b9.png

It was chilly in the AM.  Man, we have been talking about drought and such.  The lake at the park is the worst I have ever seen it understanding that I was out of the area for 12 years.  

The majority of the circled area is either gone or down to just wet muddish areas.  The larger area is also very shallow in spots. 

image.thumb.png.cd08226cc9b0c8aa121a90febc8ee3b9.png

I feel like something else might be going on here has I don’t feel the drought was that severe. Especially after having something like 10 out of the previous 11 years being above normal before the drought.

17 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I feel like something else might be going on here has I don’t feel the drought was that severe. Especially after having something like 10 out of the previous 11 years being above normal before the drought.

I was surprised as well though it was fairly severe in spots last summer.  But it looks pretty gruesome when driving 177 from the Lewisberry area over to Rossville.  A large mud and dirt pit to the right.  I did not go back into lake to see where water still exists but I could not see any from the road.  

I was surprised as well though it was fairly severe in spots last summer.  But it looks pretty gruesome when driving 177 from the Lewisberry area over Rossville.  A large mud and dirt pit to the right.  I did not go back into lake to see where water still exists but I could not see any from the road.  

This area used to get some heinous draughts if you go back into the climate record. Officially at least I can honk we’ve only had a couple years in the last 30 that were bad. We’ve been getting wetter and wetter overall it seems

Hope this helps but it’s been like this since fall. 

Pinchot Lake’s water level has been lowered approximately five feet to allow repairs and improvements at several shoreline locations. These projects include an ADA accessible fishing pier in the Conewago Day Use Area, easier entry into the water at the swimming beach in the Quaker Race Day Use Area, and boat launch improvements at Boat Mooring 3. The lake is open to both fishing and boating during this time, but launching boats is difficult due to the water level. We anticipate the lake being at normal pool around Memorial Day. Check this page for updates.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paweather5 said:

Hope this helps but it’s been like this since fall. 

Pinchot Lake’s water level has been lowered approximately five feet to allow repairs and improvements at several shoreline locations. These projects include an ADA accessible fishing pier in the Conewago Day Use Area, easier entry into the water at the swimming beach in the Quaker Race Day Use Area, and boat launch improvements at Boat Mooring 3. The lake is open to both fishing and boating during this time, but launching boats is difficult due to the water level. We anticipate the lake being at normal pool around Memorial Day. Check this page for updates.

There you go.  Thanks for that.   Boat Mooring 1 was where it looked so bad from the road. 

We also haven’t had a true burner of a summer in awhile. All the those hottest month records we’ve had have been on the back of super high min temperatures. You look at some of the years with lots of 90’s, 100+ as highs and they were dry but with huge spreads between high and low temperatures

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

We also haven’t had a true burner of a summer in awhile. All the those hottest month records we’ve had have been on the back of super high min temperatures. You look at some of the years with lots of 90’s, 100+ as highs and they were dry but with huge spreads between high and low temperatures

2012 being the most recent (and maybe only one this century)? I wouldn’t count 2016, that one was rainy as I recall.

24 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Problem is the lows have been crazy high. 100 and 60 beats the hell out of 94 and 79.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, its always the worst when you cannot open the windows/use a whole house fan to cool off even if the highs are not extreme. 

I don’t know how anyone south of I-80 lives through July and August without central air.

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We say that but we did it...even people in my generation.  I never lived in any location with A/C until college.  And although were were not "well to do" we were not poor either.  

I guess that’s the other thing, being a child of the ‘80s it’s easy to forget this is how people had to live for centuries and there was no other choice. Wife is from a northern tier county, she grew up without central air and I don’t think she realized how make or break it was for me when we bought a house. Even then it’s a push and pull of “how long can we go without turning on the air?” 

Last year I would have turned it on here (we didn’t):2863D1F2-128A-4F94-96AA-70835F3AECFD.thumb.jpeg.3c1777e8fb661bc98ba87e458dc4332c.jpeg

Or here (we didn’t):1DBE7885-67AB-4248-8FA4-040FF103D63A.thumb.jpeg.8dd04e945132e0166d2ba3292188006c.jpeg

Ultimately we ended up turning it on for a couple days, then off for a week, then on again for good here:D69971AD-76D6-4F35-B6B1-CA5839156E72.thumb.jpeg.85b2fa403c78ea035bf3ac5b30660a1f.jpeg

25 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I guess that’s the other thing, being a child of the ‘80s it’s easy to forget this is how people had to live for centuries and there was no other choice. Wife is from a northern tier county, she grew up without central air and I don’t think she realized how make or break it was for me when we bought a house. Even then it’s a push and pull of “how long can we go without turning on the air?” 

Last year I would have turned it on here (we didn’t):

Or here (we didn’t):

Ultimately we ended up turning it on for a couple days, then off for a week, then on again for good here:

I am definitely turning mine on it if it in the 80's!  Ha.  There are still schools, even around here, with no central AC.  If it were not for the occasional Florida like humidity, a whole house fan could work for a lot of people but when its humid out, it pulls so much moisture in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I don’t know how anyone south of I-80 lives through July and August without central air.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

We say that but we did it...even people in my generation.  I never lived in any location with A/C until college.  And although were were not "well to do" we were not poor either.  

we never had air, central or window units. Then again we didn't have a TV either from 1977 until 81 when i bought one for my bedroom.

We did get box fans one year for Easter to put in our windows. I remember at time it felt like a hair dryer blowing on me, i would just turn it off it was pointless. 

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

we never had air, central or window units. Then again we didn't have a TV either from 1977 until 81 when i bought one for my bedroom.

We did get box fans one year for Easter to put in our windows. I remember at time it felt like a hair dryer blowing on me, i would just turn it off it was pointless. 

Yea, hot air faster than before.  Though if sweating it felt better than nothing.  So no TV during the TMI crisis? 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, hot air faster than before.  Though if sweating it felt better than nothing.  So no TV during the TMI crisis? 

Nope, no TV. We boogied out pretty quick. Half went to SC the other half went to TN. 

You're right, sweating did feel like it cooled you off. My grandmother lived with us. In the dead of summer she stripped and washed our sheets daily and hung them on the line.