Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have experience with bare root plants?

I was looking at buying a couple bare root forsythia. When can those be planted and how fast do they grow?

Keep them moist and dormant and plant them as soon as you can get them in. Forsythia grows like a weed and can easily be rooted from cuttings.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So if I get them next week plant em? Even if frost is coming?

Up to you. If you can keep them dormant you can wait. But it's forsythia. It's like the first thing to bloom every spring. The root system isn't established yet though. Do you have a cold, dark basement or garage?

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I could always try sending or rooting some cuttings for you too if it dies. Mine is way overgrown. :lol:

How large are the plants?

Bare root 12-24”

https://www.michiganbulb.com/product/lynwood-gold-forsythia-hedge?p=0819680&pid=73426&gclid=CjwKCAiAg6yRBhBNEiwAeVyL0Fz2O3-E-oUMZUTvhEEQfxwisxPylfrYM59ui7Vio7MQDVSg0hsM4hoCiQwQAvD_BwE

instructions are sparse :lol:

In the fall I ripped up my entire backyard and restarted with new soil/grass seed as the yard was literally 100% weeds. Managed to successfully grow grass and it looks great, but I know this weed seeds are probably still under that soil so I’m gonna be following/asking questions in the near future about good pre-emergents , weed killer etc. My yard doesn’t have to look like a golf course but I definitely want to keep it looking good. The following were weeds I identified prior to the re-do:

Crabgrass, spurge, clover, ground ivy, nutsedge, sweet violet. The clover was particularly bad in the spring and spurge in the last summer. Should be fun lol.

First signs of green-up on some lawns in the area.  Not yet at mi casa.  IIRC, I think mine is one of the last ones in the neighborhood to take shape.

How early can one put down a spring fertilizer?  Is there time enough to do a first-of-season treatment and some overseeding before putting down any pre-emergent?

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

First signs of green-up on some lawns in the area.  Not yet at mi casa.  IIRC, I think mine is one of the last ones in the neighborhood to take shape.

How early can one put down a spring fertilizer?  Is there time enough to do a first-of-season treatment and some overseeding before putting down any pre-emergent?

We will start a thread next week. Way too early for fert. Typically the crabgrass preventer goes down when forsythia start to bloom. You can put down a straight starter fert prior to that to assist the greenup, but it’s not totally necessary.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, Sn0waddict said:

In the fall I ripped up my entire backyard and restarted with new soil/grass seed as the yard was literally 100% weeds. Managed to successfully grow grass and it looks great, but I know this weed seeds are probably still under that soil so I’m gonna be following/asking questions in the near future about good pre-emergents , weed killer etc. My yard doesn’t have to look like a golf course but I definitely want to keep it looking good. The following were weeds I identified prior to the re-do:

Crabgrass, spurge, clover, ground ivy, nutsedge, sweet violet. The clover was particularly bad in the spring and spurge in the last summer. Should be fun lol.

Good luck with your project.  Just a reminder that clover isn't a weed.  It was only labeled a weed by the herbicide manufacturers in the early 20th century because they couldn't figure out how to kill everything else on your list without killing clover.  So it was easier to just call it a weed and make people kill it off.  It's green, soft to walk on, doesn't grow over 4" high, is drought tolerant, and feeds pollinators when it flowers.  And it's nitrogen-fixing, which means it puts nitrogen back into the soil rather than having to dump bags of nitrogen-rich fertilizer, which comes from the oil industry.  I had a "weed-infested" yard that I've been slowly turning into grass/clover mix. No lime, no fertilizer, watering during excessive hot/dry spells only.  It's not perfect, but it's getting better each year.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:08 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

Getting back to this, would now be a good time to put this down? I don't want it to effect the lawn from waking up.