Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I hate having to deal with the winds at the end of the day.  It's typically dead calm early AM and makes for quick work doing leaves.

Makes sense, but with almost daily frost here, ground stays wet for a while, so have to wait until afternoon like Mreaves said.  Not to mention the sun doesn't even hit my yard until after 9am this time of year because of the damn Green Mountains..lol.

4 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

was supposed to do final cleanup today. Hard to do that with snow and ice on the ground

I had the kids do my lawn but I always have to clean up the burning bush and dogwood leaves since they drop late, planned on today but couldn't either due to the snow and ice, it was windy too so maybe just as well, maybe tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Lawn looks great but I don't see even one leaf in the picture, I live in the woods, no matter how many times I clean the yard when it gets windy leaves blow in from the adjacent woods.

My lawn was a disaster a day after my last clean up.  Looks like we're finally done dropping leaves, so that's good.  Now I gotta find time to blow them.  One issue is there is an open recreation area next to my property that is covered in leaves, so the next time the winds blow, they'll be covering my yard again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 5:28 PM, Hailstoned said:

Oh, and leaf blowers, not to mention all the other planet destroying means of accomplishing the "perfect" lawn, really blow...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/opinion/leaf-blowers-california-emissions.html?smid=em-share

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 6:40 AM, BrianW said:

Still mowing every week here. Lawn looks incredible with all the recent rain and warmth.

20211214-074349.jpg

First official lawn work of the year. Had to go pull all the weeds growing under my deck. 

Incredible green still here for January. 

Screenshot_20220119-121452_Ring.thumb.jpg.ea1328f8a81e22549eba0889a18a06f9.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

When is the 2022 thread starting?

Can I detach and slice up my lawn soon and then drop seed later? Or should that all be done around the same time?

you'd be wasting your time. the purpose of slicing is to get the seed in good contact with the soil. Do it all at the same time-same day

you would also be wasting your time doing all that in March. Wait until soil temps are >50, which usually doesn't happen until April

Seeding in the spring can be problematic due to crab grass and soil moisture.  crab grass pre-emergent (if you use it) will interfere with seedlings, and grass started in the spring isn't as capable of withstanding summer dryness as grass started in the fall.  

14 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

you'd be wasting your time. the purpose of slicing is to get the seed in good contact with the soil. Do it all at the same time-same day

you would also be wasting your time doing all that in March. Wait until soil temps are >50, which usually doesn't happen until April

7 hours ago, Brewbeer said:

Seeding in the spring can be problematic due to crab grass and soil moisture.  crab grass pre-emergent (if you use it) will interfere with seedlings, and grass started in the spring isn't as capable of withstanding summer dryness as grass started in the fall.  

I wanted to do it in the fall, but was never able to get around to it.

Is this absolutely a no go in the spring? It needs to be done, badly.