• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

I spent a solid 18 hours in the yard this week. Tiller , aerator, Scott’s soil compost n ferterlizer..then seeded w generally Tall fescue seed blends. 

Water light to moderate 2x a day . Did about 4,000 SQ feet (mostly side and part of backyard further out) . We shall see .soil is somewhat thin I think , certain areas were definitely rocky , a bit dry and compacted and most of my time was dealing with that .

Definite newbie going in on this 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I spent a solid 18 hours in the yard this week. Tiller , aerator, Scott’s soil compost n ferterlizer..then seeded w generally Tall fescue seed blends. 

Water light to moderate 2x a day . Did about 4,000 SQ feet (mostly side and part of backyard further out) . We shall see .soil is somewhat thin I think , certain areas were definitely rocky , a bit dry and compacted and most of my time was dealing with that .

You’re on the right track. Detaching and aerating is key. You can apply all the grass and fert you want but a compacted soil will crush the apps. Get your soil tested though..you made need lime.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You bought a house with Dilf?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You bought a house with Dilf?

I spend half my time in Nashua (Renting 1/2 a house ) and half my time at my gf’s house in Bedford (near one of my jobs)  . It’s a good sized lot and while her front yard looks pretty good , there were issues off to the side and in a swath in the back . She is very busy and her dad is as well so I decided to take on this as a challenge .

The tiller was the hardest part trying to get deep enough over the entire area that needed seeding -reseeding . I must have put in 7-8 hours with that thing and I def worked my back and shoulders using that 

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

The weekend 0.91" brought the month to 0.95".  October has averaged 5.70" here so a long way to go.  Driest was 2001 with 1.12".  Median is 5.52" with only 3 of 23 having less than 3.46" - easily the most consistently wet month.

Wow that’s quite wet there.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:40 AM, BrianW said:

Didn't realize that cheap Kentucky Bluegrass sod is a available here. The place I got it said there is a bunch of sod farms in CT, MA and RI. The sod I got had come in that morning from RI. Each 5x2 10 sqft piece was $6 so .60 sqft.

We had a paver patio put in and it cost me less than $100 to instantly have nice lush weed free grass around it. Definitely worth it over dealing with germinating seeds and all the weeds. 

Screenshot-20210921-062910-Gallery.jpg

KBG sod came out beautiful. Lawn is growing the best it has all year. Been mowing every 3-4 days. 

20211006-141839.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

11 days after dropping some tall fescue seeds  , we have some beginning to sprout 

Same in here in Methuen....well took only 9 days for sprouting to appear.  The lawn continues to grow at a good pace. I expect to be mowing the lawn well in to November.  Might rival 2015 for latest mow. 

3 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Same in here in Methuen....well took only 9 days for sprouting to appear.  The lawn continues to grow at a good pace. I expect to be mowing the lawn well in to November.  Might rival 2015 for latest mow. 

Ya, they are growing nicely 

been watering late evening and early am 

The neighborhood milfs wave as the they power walk by in pairs 

22 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Lucky you!!  Rather than power walk most of my neighbors power nap several times a day!!

12,698 Old People Sleeping Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images -  iStock

Good afternoon G S 1717. I’m an 8th decade inner city power walker. The urban scenery has its own charm and depending on the time and exact locale, it’s best to keep a brisk pace. I enjoyed dawn power walks but I’m getting to old to play kick the rat. That wing chair does look comfortable. As always ….

• Like 1