Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

27 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Since it feels amazingly like fall out this morning....what are my fall lawn care tips?

This is the time of year to dethatch and core aerate you lawn.  Also a good time to hit it with some fertilizer if growth has slowed with any summer heat.  With these cooler days/nights it'll promote growth and green it back up.

Just now, JC-CT said:

They will end up building a 10 foot high plateau in my yard for the new field because "water problems."

How long do you think it needs to go back to normal?

Depends upon your soils and geography.  Could be days to weeks or even months.  Pretty common to see mounded septic systems these days due to watertable being high. 

if they're doing the mounded system, you should be all set, since they're likely brining in all the material needed to make the mound.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Depends upon your soils and geography.  Could be days to weeks or even months.  Pretty common to see mounded septic systems these days due to watertable being high. 

if they're doing the mounded system, you should be all set, since they're likely brining in all the material needed to make the mound.

Just starting the process. So just dont want to get a false reading on normal water levels when they do it.

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

@tamarack you know what this could be? I have two spots like these on one of my oak. 

2892AFCF-6A4A-4BFC-92D4-B59526DB180A.jpeg

Looks like some kind of mold, probably on the surface only rather than being connected with internal rot.  If it should spread and produce significant fungus, that could be a sign of internal decay, but I don't think the black stuff will do that.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Looks like some kind of mold, probably on the surface only rather than being connected with internal rot.  If it should spread and produce significant fungus, that could be a sign of internal decay, but I don't think the black stuff will do that.

Would some sort of insect do that? I thought I saw some tiny gnats of flies there, but it could be coincidence.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I've been looking ahead to my lawn/garden/beds and what I'll need to do.  I need to repair my lawn which has not been maintained well over the years through my own fault.  I need to start taking better care of it and I've been researching steps to do so.  Dethatching/Scarifying and over-seeding is going to be a huge piece,  I ended up purchasing this today.

https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-13-inch-12-amp-electric-scarifier-lawn-dethatcher-w-collection-bag

Electric Dethather/Scarifier.  I've researched this for a couple weeks and this brand seems to be reputable and the reviews of the product are outstanding.  I'm excited to see the results.  Once i have that piece done, I'll need to over seed and I'm leaning towards a lower maintenance. TTTF.  They require less water and are more resistant to summer drought periods and disease.  In conjunction with this, I'll be doing new planting beds around the yard and I'm thinking the most efficient way to create them is to use a tiller on the areas to churn in up and than form the edges.  Lots to do.

This dethatcher/scarifier is gold.  Worked like a charm this AM.  Did 3 passes over front lawn.  Will wrap up tomorrow dropping seed, soil amendments, and starter fertilizer.

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just wrapped up front lawn renovation.  Dropped 13lbs of Jonathan Green Ultra Black Beauty.  Ran scarifier to mix in along with starter fertilizer, Mag-I-cal plus, and JG Love your soli.  Now we keep moist and watch it grow.

Used the JG two falls ago and last spring. Very impressed with how quickly and full it comes in. Definitely notice a difference in the shady area of my lawn with it versus the areas that get more sun. Shady areas stay thick and green all year. More sunny areas get a bit thin towards the end of the year.  

40 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Used the JG two falls ago and last spring. Very impressed with how quickly and full it comes in. Definitely notice a difference in the shady area of my lawn with it versus the areas that get more sun. Shady areas stay thick and green all year. More sunny areas get a bit thin towards the end of the year.  

I used to run a dethatcher across my lawn with my tractor, used to make a difference, I should get my lazy ass out there and do it again.

20 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Potentially silly question, but what do you use to dethatch?

Sun Joe 13 in. 12 Amp Electric Scarifier + Lawn Dethatcher with Collection Bag-AJ801E - The Home Depot

I have one I pull behind my trractor. Looks like this

Brinly-Hardy 40 in. Tow-Behind Dethatcher-DT-40BH - The Home Depot