Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Killed everything within a 3 block radius.  I read online about people being more selective with it and using gloved hands and a surfectant to manually apply it to each weed. 

Perhaps you applied too much?  No where that I am reading does it say it kills cool-season grasses.

31 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Killed everything within a 3 block radius.  I read online about people being more selective with it and using gloved hands and a surfectant to manually apply it to each weed. 

I've used the Tripoclyr from HD which is only like 8% tripoclyr and never had any issues. Just saw that Tripoclyr 4 is 61%--yikes, that could do some damage if not applied absolutely perfectly. 

• Haha 1

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

I've used the Tripoclyr from HD which is only like 8% tripoclyr and never had any issues. Just saw that Tripoclyr 4 is 61%--yikes, that could do some damage if not applied absolutely perfectly. 

Damn!  Yeah, probably wouldn't need to use more than 1oz/1,000sf.  The tenacity I'll be applying calls for like .75oz for the area I'm going over.

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

Did you use Triclopyr 4?  I think the 3A (amine) formula is more gentle to grass than the 4 (ester) formula.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Did you use Triclopyr 4?  I think the 3A (amine) formula is more gentle to grass than the 4 (ester) formula.

yeah I got the triclopyr 4 online. Came in a package with a giant skull and crossbones. Used 6 oz per 2 gallons.  Absolutely destroys crab grass and poison ivy.  Within hours.

• Sad 1

Anyone know if an arborist or whoever it would be, can do a tree inspection on your property? I have some oaks that appear healthy and want to make sure. I have one that I know has parts that are hollow. Is there anything that someone like myself can try to spot to see if there are any insect issues?

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a massive one that has a Y base. It’s dam windy where I am and appears healthy, but if that breaks, it’s a pizza cutter through my house.

A lot of tree companies, if reputable, will have an arborist on staff, or at least have access to work with one. You may be able to get the town to come out and have someone take a look too if the tree is near town property or at risk of falling on the road or wires or something 

Failure.  I had a window to drop herbicide and I got about 25% thru it and the sprayer started acting up on me and eventually stopped working all together.  Now I have sprayer with 3 gallons still sitting in and no way to know what is going on withe sprayer.  It’s brand new and was fully charged as far as I know.  I charged battery last weekend overnight.  Pissed off.

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

A lot of tree companies, if reputable, will have an arborist on staff, or at least have access to work with one. You may be able to get the town to come out and have someone take a look too if the tree is near town property or at risk of falling on the road or wires or something 

It’s definitely my property. Even if they put one of those metal cables to each part of the tree, might help. My eye says all but two trees are in good shape on my property. 

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Anyone know if an arborist or whoever it would be, can do a tree inspection on your property? I have some oaks that appear healthy and want to make sure. I have one that I know has parts that are hollow. Is there anything that someone like myself can try to spot to see if there are any insect issues?

We've had Bartlett in Hanover come out.

[email protected]

Abraham Monahan

ISA Certified Arborist NE-6712A

Bartlett Tree Experts

149 Winter Street, Hanover MA

781 829 9149 O | 508 509 6785 C | www.bartlett.com

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s definitely my property. Even if they put one of those metal cables to each part of the tree, might help. My eye says all but two trees are in good shape on my property. 

I had a rotten tree leaning towards my house, my BIL partially cut it then hooked up a chain to it and yanked it down in the opposite direction. It knocked off a couple shrubs but better the shrubs than the house.

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Do a search for arborists in your area.  Maine licenses arborists and I'd guess Mass does as well, to avoid uninsured yokels with a ladder and chainsaw from dumping a tree on your house and disappearing.

• Like 1

i am really disappointed in my lawn this year, thanks to all the rain. red thread is running wild, and there are about 300 different species of mushrooms growing. Usually I aerate and overseed in the early fall, but going to skip it this year. it's just too wet to mess around with.

4 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i am really disappointed in my lawn this year, thanks to all the rain. red thread is running wild, and there are about 300 different species of mushrooms growing. Usually I aerate and overseed in the early fall, but going to skip it this year. it's just too wet to mess around with.

I had it one year and was told nitrogen would take care of it, I think I put down ironite and it went away.

4 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

I have that in spots. Moss has been tough too. It came back where I killed it. Otherwise lawn is in good shape compared to all the other years. I'll try that ironite.

22 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Failure.  I had a window to drop herbicide and I got about 25% thru it and the sprayer started acting up on me and eventually stopped working all together.  Now I have sprayer with 3 gallons still sitting in and no way to know what is going on withe sprayer.  It’s brand new and was fully charged as far as I know.  I charged battery last weekend overnight.  Pissed off.

So it wasn’t the battery.  Charged that for a full 24hrs and still the thing ran for about 10sec and turned off.  Thinking a line dips clogged.  Not sure why/how since what I added was all liquid.

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone else starting to notice trees dropping colorful leaves? Trees are still green, but plenty of color on the ground in my yard.

Same here, but that's the norm for late August.  Certainly not due to cool wx - yesterday made 9 in a row with minima 60+ and 16 such mornings this month, topping the 15 in July 2010 for most 60+ minima in any month (though only 24 summers here).

On 8/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, amarshall said:

Chemical burns while violets 6 “ away laugh

965971cd3f2a052da0df7286c6224776.jpg

If that's the tiny amount of weeds you deem worth dumping herbicide into the ground for, you'd want to nuke my lawn at the mere sight of it, lol.  Though it's never been more diverse and lush than this year with all the rain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

If that's the tiny amount of weeds you deem worth dumping herbicide into the ground for, you'd want to nuke my lawn at the mere sight of it, lol.  Though it's never been more diverse and lush than this year with all the rain.

My lawn is probably < 50% grass. :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

So it wasn’t the battery.  Charged that for a full 24hrs and still the thing ran for about 10sec and turned off.  Thinking a line dips clogged.  Not sure why/how since what I added was all liquid.

Had a backup pump sprayer that I was able to get the product down.  See what things look like in a few days.