• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

I need some help...I'm spending a small fortune and more time than I'd like, manually spraying/picking crabgrass outta my lawn.  It's a pain in the ass tbh.  I put in all fresh sod last yr, and it looks fantastic- i wanna keep it that way.  I should put down something in the spring I assume to prevent it from sprouting.  If so- I then seed in the fall per usual and skip the spring seeding since it'd get killed by the crabgrass control?  anyone have any experience?

10 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

I need some help...I'm spending a small fortune and more time than I'd like, manually spraying/picking crabgrass outta my lawn.  It's a pain in the ass tbh.  I put in all fresh sod last yr, and it looks fantastic- i wanna keep it that way.  I should put down something in the spring I assume to prevent it from sprouting.  If so- I then seed in the fall per usual and skip the spring seeding since it'd get killed by the crabgrass control?  anyone have any experience?

That would be correct. Lesco has a product to put down in late April and May that has dimension which helps prevent crabgrass. You can get this at Site1 landscape supplies. Do not get this at Home Depot or Lowes....the Lesco there is inferior to what you get at the landscape stores. I still get crab grass to appear sometimes, but it's easier to manage. You may have to apply this twice, In May and then late June. It will also prevent weeds.  Double check with the crabgrass though....I'm pretty sure it helps prevent it.....I know it certainly helps with weeds. 

Do note if it is very hot, weeds will come late July and August. I get them all the time..although not bad this year since July was cool and wet.

Tenacity(mesotrione) has a proven track record for pre and post-emergent crabgrass control.  It works on other broadleafs weeds as well.  Low toxicty.  It's sprayed on.

There's Barricade(prodiamine) that comes in products like The Andersens and there's Dimension as Scott alluded to that sold under Lesco or Jonathan Green.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+andersons&dc&ref=a9_sc_1

https://www.jonathangreen.com/product/season-long-crabgrass-weed-preventer.html

https://www.jonathangreen.com/product/crabgrass-preventer-plus-green-up-lawn-fertilizer.html

https://www.jonathangreen.com/product/weed-feed-lawn-fertilizer.html

Spring Seeding is not ideal in our climate as your competing with weeds at the same time.  It's best to wait till now to start the process.

The Andersens has a new product that may buck that idea.

https://andersonsplantnutrient.com/turf/lawn-landscape/fertwithmeso

Starter Fert with mesotrione

Scooter and Bob pretty much nailed it.  Products with prodiamine as the active ingredient will give you longer weed prevention coverage--normally 90-120 days--compared to Dimension(dithiopyr active ingred) which is more like 30-60 days(at best) The reason you would use the Dimension is if you are planning on doing some fall seeding, you can do multiple apps of it and know that it will be gone from the soil most likely by seeding time(Early Sept).  With prodiamine, if you drop it in May, it may last right through Sept, which is great for longer season crabgrass control, but makes Fall seeding more tricky because it will also prevent the grass seed from growing too.  If your sod is nice and thick, I would skip the seeding and just do the Weed preventer.

Thank you all, great advice. I do have some spots in the sod I'd like to get thicker...so seed in the fall then fert and lesco in the spring it seems. I use milorganite- 3 applications per year- love that stuff... Anyone do any soil sampling just to be sure? I'm thinking about it for the spring.

24 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

Thank you all, great advice. I do have some spots in the sod I'd like to get thicker...so seed in the fall then fert and lesco in the spring it seems. I use milorganite- 3 applications per year- love that stuff... Anyone do any soil sampling just to be sure? I'm thinking about it for the spring.

I have not but I've been meaning to.  There are DIY kits from Amazon you can order or you can get one done thru UMass

https://www.amazon.com/LaMotte-Garden-Kit/dp/B00DBSY6B2/ref=sr_1_3_mod_primary_new?crid=IE3BNEZ0L327&dchild=1&keywords=la+motte+testing+kit&qid=1629134239&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=la+motte%2Caps%2C192&sr=8-3

https://ag.umass.edu/services/soil-plant-nutrient-testing-laboratory/ordering-information-forms

1 hour ago, Supernovice said:

I did mine with UMass a couple years ago..pretty simple, would recommend that over DIY stuff.

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Here’s the plant in question. Lesser trefoil or medic? Alfalfa maybe? Looks like a legume either way?

FWIW that app keeps giving me Japanese clover (it's in the bean family!) Would seem to be on the northern end of its range, but who knows.

Not sure you want to let it flower, but that could probably help ID.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

FWIW that app keeps giving me Japanese clover (it's in the bean family!) Would seem to be on the northern end of its range, but who knows.

Not sure you want to let it flower, but that could probably help ID.

Yup…that may be it. I’ll let an area flower. It’s only in the torchy spots on the S and W side of the house so maybe that is helping it survive in this zone.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's an annual, so cold and snowy should take care of it. ;)

Kinda strange just how much of it I have. I would assume if it goes to seed that the seed would remain viable for next year? I don’t recall it flowering last year though. Maybe the white dutch clover I spread from Agway was actually this stuff?

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kinda strange just how much of it I have. I would assume if it goes to seed that the seed would remain viable for next year? I don’t recall it flowering last year though. Maybe the white dutch clover I spread from Agway was actually this stuff?

I would assume so too. I saw it mentioned that its spread is related to it being imported as a cover crop, so maybe some rogue seeds were mixed in there.

My experience with Dimension 2EW is much different - one early application keeps crabgrass out well into late August, sometimes later. I apply it along with Super Trimec when the forsythia flowers are fully out.

If summer is really wet the Dimension tends to lose its effectiveness earlier in August. Any de-thatching efforts will greatly compromise Dimension's ability to act as a pre-emergent as weed seeds will be able to become established. After the first frost crabgrass is killed. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:07 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Can’t drop it until temp goes below 80F thought, so I may be SOL today still.

Yeah, so I wasn't able to drop this on Saturday as I had hoped.  Temps never dipped below 8-F before sunset.  Yesterday was a bust,  Hopefully in the next couplie days the grass dries out so I can hit it, otherwise this is gonna mess up my timeframe on getting lawn over seeded.

36 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah?  What'd it do?  Supposedly the mix I'm going with will take care of violets too.

Killed everything within a 3 block radius.  I read online about people being more selective with it and using gloved hands and a surfectant to manually apply it to each weed.