Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Aphids or white flys

Definitely seems like white flies. I have little green aphids out front on my petunias that I've been blasting with the hose every evening. I'll have to hose them off this evening if I don't get +RA today to do it for me.

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

After this past week if my lawn is brown at any point between now and Christmas I'm gonna be pissed. lol

Lol, yea if only you could bank up that extra water as a reserve in the soil.  Honestly 1.5" or 7" in a week will make no difference for the lawn in a week if its 85-90 and sunny, it will start browning probably within 7-8 days again.  7" is good for lakes and streams and Oak trees, but lawns don't need that much.  

Looks humid and stormy though next week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I had to turn off the irrigation this morning. I've had like 6 rain skips so far this year which is a new record . It goes by forecasted rainfall amounts and it was already up to 0.25 " when I shut it off

mine has not run since June 30. either the rain sensor has been on, rain skips, or manual skips (I don't always trust the rain skips)

• Like 1

Lawn/Garden is on back-burner this year with all the work going on around the house.  We're losing almost 1/2 of our lawn to the Addition/Pool/Patio so that's a plus.  I hate cutting the lawn and it will be much more manageable.  Going to look into adding a sprinkler system in the front next year to help with the dry periods.  Going to be lots of landscaping to be done as well once everything done.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

lol, I don't care much at this point. At least it's green. No fabric was used in the bed. I'll be sure to use a per-emergent next year.

My bad areas in the front that look like that I threw white clover in there. It's slowly getting going, but it looks better and deep green. Plus it will fix nitrogen and grow better where the soil is less fertile/shallow.

If you can't get your grass to thrive in this weather you may never will. :lol:

• Like 1

So I've been looking ahead to my lawn/garden/beds and what I'll need to do.  I need to repair my lawn which has not been maintained well over the years through my own fault.  I need to start taking better care of it and I've been researching steps to do so.  Dethatching/Scarifying and over-seeding is going to be a huge piece,  I ended up purchasing this today.

https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-13-inch-12-amp-electric-scarifier-lawn-dethatcher-w-collection-bag

Electric Dethather/Scarifier.  I've researched this for a couple weeks and this brand seems to be reputable and the reviews of the product are outstanding.  I'm excited to see the results.  Once i have that piece done, I'll need to over seed and I'm leaning towards a lower maintenance. TTTF.  They require less water and are more resistant to summer drought periods and disease.  In conjunction with this, I'll be doing new planting beds around the yard and I'm thinking the most efficient way to create them is to use a tiller on the areas to churn in up and than form the edges.  Lots to do.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I've been looking ahead to my lawn/garden/beds and what I'll need to do.  I need to repair my lawn which has not been maintained well over the years through my own fault.  I need to start taking better care of it and I've been researching steps to do so.  Dethatching/Scarifying and over-seeding is going to be a huge piece,  I ended up purchasing this today.

https://snowjoe.com/products/sun-joe-13-inch-12-amp-electric-scarifier-lawn-dethatcher-w-collection-bag

Electric Dethather/Scarifier.  I've researched this for a couple weeks and this brand seems to be reputable and the reviews of the product are outstanding.  I'm excited to see the results.  Once i have that piece done, I'll need to over seed and I'm leaning towards a lower maintenance. TTTF.  They require less water and are more resistant to summer drought periods and disease.  In conjunction with this, I'll be doing new planting beds around the yard and I'm thinking the most efficient way to create them is to use a tiller on the areas to churn in up and than form the edges.  Lots to do.

i have a couple Sun Joe products (mini battery powered snowblower, battery powered compressor). have no complaints about either.

What are you going to use to overseed?

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

i have a couple Sun Joe products (mini battery powered snowblower, battery powered compressor). have no complaints about either.

What are you going to use to overseed?

I’ve been looking into renting a peat moss spreader and mixing the seed in with either peat moss or loam.  Seems to be a good way to get seed down evenly and covered for good ground contact.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

I was looking at another brand, let us know how it goes with yours, my lawn needs a dethatching badly and seeding.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

I bought that same exact model this past Spring. It worked great, for the price. I ended up not using the bag because it fills up within seconds if you have a lot of thatch. I just raked it up afterwards and bagged it with my reusable lawn bags. Overall, it was very much worth the purchase. 

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I was looking at another brand, let us know how it goes with yours, my lawn needs a dethatching badly and seeding.

Was it the Worxs or Greenworks?  The biggest reason for getting the Sun Joe model was for the scarifier.  Definitely will post some before and after shots.  I may not get to overseed this year but will definitely dethatch once we hit the cooler days of September.

19 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I bought that same exact model this past Spring. It worked great, for the price. I ended up not using the bag because it fills up within seconds if you have a lot of thatch. I just raked it up afterwards and bagged it with my reusable lawn bags. Overall, it was very much worth the purchase. 

Nice.  I wanted to get the newest model but it's virtually nowhere to be found or double the retail cost.  Not going to spend that much on something untested in my yard.  I trust that it will work based on the sheer number of 4/5 star reviews.  And I agree on the bagging, gonna forgo that and use my mower and leaf blower to clean up.  Plan is to do it in sections so as to not be overwhelmed by dead grass/thatch.

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Did a new batch of gnats hatch today or something? Just completed 20 minutes of picking up branches and crap and was swarmed by gnats the whole time. Unbearable amount.

They got us pretty good at the golf course yesterday, first time this year we've been bugged by bugs. I assume mosquito's are next.