Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Vegetable and plant gardens are coming along. Have 3 vegetable gardens this is one along with the natural plant garden. Lots of green beans this year. The dogs love them. Have tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, hot and sweet peppers, cabbage, spaghetti and summer squash, cukes, oregano, basil, mint.

20210619_060022.jpg

20210619_055320.jpg

Looks a lot better than mine.  I have 2 sheets 10x4 feet of 30-mil black plastic, each with 12 pre-cut round holes, that I use for peppers, tomatoes and the odd cucurbit.  My dad bought them in the 1980s and other than one corner he hit with the tiller, they function the same as when I inherited them in 1994.  The wind a couple days back moved the tomato sheet despite it having stakes in holes on both ends and several rocks.  5 of my 6 supersweet 100s were crushed (had grown from 6" to 12-15" in the 10 days since outplanting) and the spaghetti squash was also flattened.  One tomato looks totally dead and I carefully slid plastic and plants to bring the other 4 and the squash back into the sun, then gave them a good drink yesterday right after the fix attempt.  0.08" downpour ;) this AM wasn't much but anything helps.  Oddly, the sheet with peppers wasn't moved, though it's to windward from the other and anchored in the same way.

We got a puppy last year and had a fence put in. I didn't want to use any chemical fertilizers and herbicides in his area so went with all natural products. Was actually quite amazed at the results. My lawn has never looked better.

I have been using Simply Organic lawn fertilizer from Home Depot. Its plant based and mostly leftover distillery grains and soy meal. Its slow release and works similar to milorganite but smells like beer malt. 

I spot treat weeds with Tenacity which is a plant based herbicide. Its active ingredient, mesotrione, is based on a naturally occurring compound produced by the bottlebrush plant (Callistemon citrinus) that inhibits photosynthesis in susceptible plant species.

20210622-070210.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn that is a gorgeous spot.

Thanks! Took us almost 6 years to find our "forever home" for us and our kids. This was a hidden gem in a small neighborhood filled with kids our children's ages. Although I will have a shortened growing season, until I build temporary hoophouses for my peppers and tomatoes.

41⁰ this morning

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is there anyone in this thread without a wife n kids 

seems like the lawn is at least half about a “time out” of open ended duration 

:lol:

Me: " I have to cut the lawn" 

Wife: Didn't you just cut it 2 days ago?

Me: "It grows really, really, really fast"

I was into before kids too. But certainly not really much when I was single..ha.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Tomatoes without watering for 2 days....holding up pretty well, but in well need of a natural watering.

20210624_100828.jpg

When did you plant those? I did mine mid May. They’re loaded with yellow flowers, but yours are much taller . Probably due to full sun there whereas mine only get 3-4 hours a day 

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When did you plant those? I did mine mid May. They’re loaded with yellow flowers, but yours are much taller . Probably due to full sun there whereas mine only get 3-4 hours a day 

Planted late May...always worried about that late frost, especially around here. I usually start my own, but haven't built a greenhouse at this house yet, so I bought them from a local farm. I should be able to pick my first cherry tomato this weekend.

50 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The Oaks are absolutely loaded with acorns this year. Can see them up there and some already falling. Just awful thinking ahead to fall 

Glad I am down to one oak over the yard. Squirrel chipmunk population has exploded. Seeing a lot more hawks and owls around at the buffet 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a cordless electric mower. EGO something or other. 

Game changer.  So quiet and smooth.  Cut extremely well compared to mowers I’ve owned in the past.  

Spare batteries are insanely expensive though. Like $250.  I should be able to mow my entire yard with one though. 

Folds and stands up to store.  Hardly takes any space.  

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, DavisStraight said:

Chippies and rabbits, I've never seen so many rabbits in my life as I have this year.

I saw my first rabbit of the year on our dog loop today. Last year there were tons

Fewer chipmunks as well but we seem to have a hawk nesting in the woods behind our house now. Lol

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone know what these little white fuzzy insects are on my chestnut tree? At first I thought mealybugs but they look more like tiny moth nymphs or something. There’s clumps of them on a half dozen branches of new growth. 

DE7D2432-B70E-4BD8-B46D-8178057C7DA2.jpeg

Aphids or white flys

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Had to throw out my broccoli. These green worms destroyed it. Got the plants out before they hopped to other garden plants.

Yeah I have to pick those cabbage worms off of my kale every evening. They're like crack to my chickens.