Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

If it’s what I think it is, I think there was a product my in laws used to kill it. I’ll find out. They got it at Wyman’s garden center on 58 in Hanson. 

This is what they are Scott, they have big leaves and are impossible to pull out, I pulled a few with a weed popper I bought but they come right back.

Violets in Lawns a Pro? or Con? UPDATE | BYGL (osu.edu)

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

This is what they are Scott, they have big leaves and are impossible to pull out, I pulled a few with a weed popper I bought but they come right back.

Violets in Lawns a Pro? or Con? UPDATE | BYGL (osu.edu)

Ok that's a little different than I thought. I thought maybe he meant those wild onion things that can have purple flowers. They come from little tiny bulbs. 

While I need/want some rain for newly planted grass seed, too much at once is worse than none at all since you can water. That said, does anyone have tips for minimizing or preventing erosion and grass seed wash-away from heavy rain? NAM nails my location with a torrential squall line around 7-8 PM tomorrow and I have a whole bunch of loose top soil and grass seed that I don't want to lose. Ugh...

26 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

While I need/want some rain for newly planted grass seed, too much at once is worse than none at all since you can water. That said, does anyone have tips for minimizing or preventing erosion and grass seed wash-away from heavy rain? NAM nails my location with a torrential squall line around 7-8 PM tomorrow and I have a whole bunch of loose top soil and grass seed that I don't want to lose. Ugh...

heavy, heavy prayers. there really isn't much you can do. you can try hay bales to stop the flow, and there are erosion control things on the market, but $$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

Probably too late to acquire and spread hay (or straw - weed free) over the new seed, but that would accomplish 2 things - some protection from downpour/runoff impact and partial shade for the new seedlings.  Our estimate in haying where we seed (logyards, winter roads, etc) is 40 square bales per acre.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Probably too late to acquire and spread hay (or straw - weed free) over the new seed, but that would accomplish 2 things - some protection from downpour/runoff impact and partial shade for the new seedlings.  Our estimate in haying where we seed (logyards, winter roads, etc) is 40 square bales per acre.

I always use straw when I plant seed, grass comes in much better and quicker.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Worst "lawn" cutting experience of my life. I had let it grow to about 2' to keep the weeds at bay, but it's so dry I was covered with dirt, dust and pollen. Recent seeding not doing well. Turning off sprinklers. Fawk it.

2ft? Jesus.

I'm getting some browning in spots, don't remember that happening in May before.

12 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Worst "lawn" cutting experience of my life. I had let it grow to about 2' to keep the weeds at bay, but it's so dry I was covered with dirt, dust and pollen. Recent seeding not doing well. Turning off sprinklers. Fawk it.

How many ticks?

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

How many ticks?

None that I could find. I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do is spread clover seed and forgo the lawn shit. It's just one disappointment after another. Summers have really changed it seems over the last 10yrs where it's just too dry to get any good seed germination and prolonged growth without irrigation. Got a quote for an irrigation well and sprinkler sys, $~$20K!!. Nope, not wasting more money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

None that I could find. I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do is spread clover seed and forgo the lawn shit. It's just one disappointment after another. Summers have really changed it seems over the last 10yrs where it's just too dry to get any good seed germination and prolonged growth without irrigation. Got a quote for an irrigation well and sprinkler sys, $~$20K!!. Nope, not wasting more money.

Get a nice grass/clover lawn going and then maybe down the road you can treat the clover and other weeds that sneak in. I know it sucks..you've put a lot of time, money, and energy into it. Or like we were saying earlier, get a little orchard going on that slope.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Get a nice grass/clover lawn going and then maybe down the road you can treat the clover and other weeds that sneak in. I know it sucks..you've put a lot of time, money, and energy into it. Or like we were saying earlier, get a little orchard going on that slope.

This is why I'm frustrated. Look how bad last Fall's seeding looks now. The "good" pic was taken in Nov. The new stuff doesn't just go dormant. It literally dies away and I end up with bare spots again. It's just burning away...

capture1.jpg

fall lawn.jpg

Haven't been following closely but I assume you had the soil tested and did any treatments necessary? I have a bad spot in my lawn but I know it's a soil problem, just haven't gotten around to dealing with it, plus its less lawn that needs to be cut, it's in the back corner of my lawn so not visible from the street.

22 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Haven't been following closely but I assume you had the soil tested and did any treatments necessary? I have a bad spot in my lawn but I know it's a soil problem, just haven't gotten around to dealing with it, plus its less lawn that needs to be cut, it's in the back corner of my lawn so not visible from the street.

Here's the 2019 report for that section of the property. Nothing limiting or excessive

image.thumb.png.93ca6470a87084a0d97146cb4dc7904c.png

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

This is why I'm frustrated. Look how bad last Fall's seeding looks now. The "good" pic was taken in Nov. The new stuff doesn't just go dormant. It literally dies away and I end up with bare spots again. It's just burning away...

capture1.jpg

fall lawn.jpg

Your problem is water. If you don’t water a lawn, it’ll burn, get bare spots, then weeds. You’ll never keep a decent lawn without irrigation. You’re wasting money unless you keep it watered with an irrigation system. Using a sprinkler here and there you might as well be pi$$ing in the wind.

• Like 1

Your problem is water. If you don’t water a lawn, it’ll burn, get bare spots, then weeds. You’ll never keep a decent lawn without irrigation. You’re wasting money unless you keep it watered with an irrigation system. Using a sprinkler here and there you might as well be pi$$ing in the wind.
Maybe, but how come other lawns around my hood look good and they don't irrigate

23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Maybe, but how come other lawns around my hood look good and they don't irrigate

There's several factors involved with a lawn, why does half my lawn look great and the other half dries up easily. That just might be a spot that needs plenty of water, might drain quicker than other areas. I would try a small of dose starter fertilizer too, I've done that before and it greened my lawn up.