Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

2 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

explain this sorcery, is it easy to apply? 

Super easy.  They're essentially microorganisms that attack the specified insects.  They come in a powder, which you need to refrigerate if you're not going to apply immediately.  I'd recommend being home on the delivery date to receive and store appropriately.  Mix the powder with water in a can (gently), and apply to the affected area.  They'll stop the damage from spreading within a day or two. 

Scooter mentioned Milky Spore, which is also effective, but can take several seasons to establish.  Nematodes have immediate results and don't harm the environment.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

My lawn frustrations are well known here so I won't belabor it, but I've got about 15,000sqft of damage now. The old top layer just peels right off. Going to have to remove most of it to get seed down.22ced58a3ebd965d8e4f933328c8985e.jpgd3b81fb8497b3c09e2163a637d788fd9.jpgad8393da74074406ce2809ff5cfec623.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I meant to ask you this last week, but forgot. Have you considered removing the dirt that’s there and starting over, or has anyone who’s quoted you work suggested that?

I work in the field, and a guy I work with had a customer when he owned his own business that had a similar issue to what you seem to have. He said he removed all the loam and replaced it with new material. It was costly, but worked, and this was after several attempts to use what was there.

Like was mentioned to me in that discussion, it’s possible the dirt could have been contaminated in some way, or something along those lines. Or it’s simply just not a good batch of dirt and doesn’t support healthy growth.

I meant to ask you this last week, but forgot. Have you considered removing the dirt that’s there and starting over, or has anyone who’s quoted you work suggested that?
I work in the field, and a guy I work with had a customer when he owned his own business that had a similar issue to what you seem to have. He said he removed all the loam and replaced it with new material. It was costly, but worked, and this was after several attempts to use what was there.
Like was mentioned to me in that discussion, it’s possible the dirt could have been contaminated in some way, or something along those lines. Or it’s simply just not a good batch of dirt and doesn’t support healthy growth.
The dirt I think is fine as we used to have good growth until couple years ago then it got wiped out swiftly end of jul 2019. Here's a couple pics from summer 2018c9d07197d10f01fd8513d61cb76bd9ac.jpg6dadd7abb11bc53516ea086c766946b4.jpg

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

The dirt I think is fine as we used to have good growth until couple years ago then it got wiped out swiftly end of jul 2019. Here's a couple pics from summer 2018c9d07197d10f01fd8513d61cb76bd9ac.jpg6dadd7abb11bc53516ea086c766946b4.jpg

I would just rake up the loose crap and reseed, should be fine, just treat for those damn grubs and bugs.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you lose all like that? I have a ton of them in all my beds. I’d say 95%+ fell off today after it went above freezing and the high winds started 

I was 31. I don’t think that’s enough to kill? But they’ve bloomed for awhile so maybe with the wind they said the hell with it. Today was terrible. The winds were 45+ at times.

I'm still amazed that scientists were able to release a fungus in Boston in 1910/1911 and then upstate NY in 1985/86 and it spread across the entire region by itself to keep them in check.  If only we had that for the emerald ash borers.  I'm losing ash trees left and right all of a sudden.  I was hoping that attracting a healthy population of woodpeckers would help, but it's made no difference.

33 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

I'm still amazed that scientists were able to release a fungus in Boston in 1910/1911 and then upstate NY in 1985/86 and it spread across the entire region by itself to keep them in check.  If only we had that for the emerald ash borers.  I'm losing ash trees left and right all of a sudden.  I was hoping that attracting a healthy population of woodpeckers would help, but it's made no difference.

Ive been hearing a lot of woodpeckers lately, they must be eating those damn bugs, I had 7 dead ash trees in my yard last year.

2 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Not sure your stance with pesticides but I have been keeping a 100+ year old ash alive with a  soil drench of Dominion 2l. Amazon sells it for like $25 a bottle. Its the same bottle  the pros use.