Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody ever have squirrels or some sort of varmint eat the flowers off their tulips? These assholes are going to get the bucket of death. Been spraying them with this peppermint oil solution I bought. 

I've had deer destroy tulips, only daffodils in my yard as a result :thumbsdown: 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody ever have squirrels or some sort of varmint eat the flowers off their tulips? These assholes are going to get the bucket of death. Been spraying them with this peppermint oil solution I bought. 

Chippies bite the flowers/new growth off the top of everything I try to grow...never seen squirrels do it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe it is them. Those effing bastards. Time for a "chipmunk bath." 

Yeah I sometimes want to, but I don't have the heart to harm them. They like to dig up all of the nut trees I plant and plant their own sunflower seeds in their place. I have to put cages around every seed I plant. Why they chomp off the new growth, I have no idea. They're cute, but they can be little bitches.

I lost almost 10k feet of lawn one year to those little bastards, the animals love to eat them and just destroyed my lawn digging them up.  I just got my lawn to the point where it looked great, had to truck in a lot of loam and reseed, now I religiously treat every year,
My lawn frustrations are well known here so I won't belabor it, but I've got about 15,000sqft of damage now. The old top layer just peels right off. Going to have to remove most of it to get seed down.22ced58a3ebd965d8e4f933328c8985e.jpgd3b81fb8497b3c09e2163a637d788fd9.jpgad8393da74074406ce2809ff5cfec623.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

My lawn frustrations are well known here so I won't belabor it, but I've got about 15,000sqft of damage now. The old top layer just peels right off. Going to have to remove most of it to get seed down.22ced58a3ebd965d8e4f933328c8985e.jpgd3b81fb8497b3c09e2163a637d788fd9.jpgad8393da74074406ce2809ff5cfec623.jpg

Was that dead area all new growth last year? Are those green clumps grass already established? I feel like you just need to irrigate the hell out of it all summer for it to really establish growth and deeper roots. I've heard of stories where new grass had a tough time in winter and didn't return.

Was that dead area all new growth last year? Are those green clumps grass already established? I feel like you just need to irrigate the hell out of it all summer for it to really establish growth and deeper roots. I've heard of stories where new grass had a tough time in winter and didn't return.
No, the dead areas have been that way for two summers. The green clumps are what's left over from the damage.

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

No, the dead areas have been that way for two summers. The green clumps are what's left over from the damage.

You may have to start over. Honestly, if you can do it...may want to consult a local lawn company to get their thoughts. 

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

My lawn frustrations are well known here so I won't belabor it, but I've got about 15,000sqft of damage now. The old top layer just peels right off. Going to have to remove most of it to get seed down.

being able to pull it back like that is a solid indication that you have grubs.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You may have to start over. Honestly, if you can do it...may want to consult a local lawn company to get their thoughts. 

41 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

being able to pull it back like that is a solid indication that you have grubs.

I had three options in my head:

1. Broadcast seed, then topdress with 1/4" loam. Requires ~15yd loam. Buddy has a skid steer and could help spread the loam around

2. Dethatch, then broadcast seed. I like this option because it's least expensive and the top layer should pull right out, but then raking it all up would be a pain. Seed would have immediate soil contact, but wasn't planning on using anything like straw to cover up since it'll just blow away. Maybe peat moss, but that's also a pain to spread and need a lot to be effective

3. Rent industrial power rake, which will pulverize top layer. This would probably be more effective and faster then using a dethatcher, but then might "pull out" the established grass clumps.

FYI, I've spoken with a couple different lawn places and oddly none of them knew what caused my lawn damage and how to fix it. Guess they aren't very good at their jobs.

19 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

@Lava Rock you will never grow anything if you don't treat for the grubs first.

1. treat for grubs, wait several weeks

2. rototill everything

3. rake out the clumps and spread the soil evenly

4. spread grass seed. I highly recommend using an overseeder.

Why is this? My understanding is that an insecticide has no impact on germination of seed, so I assume you're thinking that if I seed shortly after grubex, then the present grubs will eat the new seed roots? FYI, I see no grubs at present and honestly, every time I've checked the lawn over the last two summers, I've never seen them which is why I thought the damage was caused by chinch bugs. Those, I have seen in the past, but to be sure I thought putting down grubex would be ok. There's no way I'm seeding in July, so if I have to wait several weeks after grub tx, then I might as well wait till Fall, which I'd rather not do unless absolutely necessary. 

24 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Why is this? My understanding is that an insecticide has no impact on germination of seed, so I assume you're thinking that if I seed shortly after grubex, then the present grubs will eat the new seed roots? FYI, I see no grubs at present and honestly, every time I've checked the lawn over the last two summers, I've never seen them which is why I thought the damage was caused by chinch bugs. Those, I have seen in the past, but to be sure I thought putting down grubex would be ok. There's no way I'm seeding in July, so if I have to wait several weeks after grub tx, then I might as well wait till Fall, which I'd rather not do unless absolutely necessary. 

If you are checking regularly in the summer and are never seeing grubs underneath then I don't know if it is grubs.  With that kind of damage you would see hundreds if not thousands of grubs when they are coming to the surface.   My in- laws had some damage past summer where the lawn would pull up and when I checked underneath I saw about 12-15 grubs in just 1sq ft  of lawn.

A sure sign of Spring, My FEDCO order arrived on Sunday afternoon.  5 different grapes and a peach tree.  I got the Peach tree in where it will stay and put the vines into a bed until I can get the long-term site ready.

5 minutes ago, klw said:

A sure sign of Spring, My FEDCO order arrived on Sunday afternoon.  5 different grapes and a peach tree.  I got the Peach tree in where it will stay and put the vines into a bed until I can get the long-term site ready.

I have 6 bare root grape vines coming in from Double A Vineyard today. I'm not exactly prepared to plant them yet though. At least it'll be cold so they should stay dormant.

6 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Looks like my lawn did, I had to rake it up and truck some loam in, got it back in a couple years but man, lot of work when I could have treated for grubs and avoided it all.