Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

They have been in full bloom for the last week or so on the CT shoreline. Everything seems a bit ahead this spring. Down in southwest CT its like full leaf out. 

Yeah blooming here too for several days now. Norway buds have green buds that have just started to sprout. Definitely varies though as the areas even south me are several days behind me. 

22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

For me when the forsythia bloom is the first real sign that the trees are about to green up?  Are any in bloom yet in SNE?

They just started popping at the top of the hill in my neighborhood. Seemed to happen overnight last night. Nothing on the way to work yesterday, but there today.

15 hours ago, amarshall said:

Testing some areas with sand leveling . One section sand only and one section sand and loam.

a846405d83e15eca3cd63f42eabf9cfb.jpg

what kind of sand is that, i only ask because i tried it once and used the wrong sand, it was too fine and became compacted and now that area although it grows grass tends to dry out quickly in the summer, so i have has had to add material to try and aerate that area. 

Red maples may blossom next week - buds are getting bigger by the day.  Male aspen catkins ready to look like worms.  Heard a single peeper night before last, joined by many friends last evening.  Songbirds rebuilding their nests under the eaves.  Seems about 2 weeks ahead of the average.  Back of my mind recalls May 11-13, 2010 with lows 22/26/25, after an even earlier spring awakening.

Finished edging the trees, shrubs, and garden beds this morning. Amended the soil in the new blueberry patch. Getting ready to put pavers around the gardens to contain the mulch a bit.

I'm also impressed with the spring growth so far. My lilies of the valley are already putting some flowers out. I also threw down a bunch of lupine seed last May, got a lot of summer green growth but no flower because it was too late in the season. This year all the green growth seems to be coming back (I have at least two dozen big patches of new leaves). Hoping for a good show of wildflowers.

58 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Finished edging the trees, shrubs, and garden beds this morning. Amended the soil in the new blueberry patch. Getting ready to put pavers around the gardens to contain the mulch a bit.

I'm also impressed with the spring growth so far. My lilies of the valley are already putting some flowers out. I also threw down a bunch of lupine seed last May, got a lot of summer green growth but no flower because it was too late in the season. This year all the green growth seems to be coming back (I have at least two dozen big patches of new leaves). Hoping for a good show of wildflowers.

I miss my lupines, but they’re poisonous to chickens...so they had to go.

So I planted my soft touch holly and pencil holly last Saturday.... we had a couple of freezing nights this week and I checked them today and they are all black and losing their leaves. I’m stunned.

Could a frost really have done that to them? They are hardy down to like -20.

And will they come back or are they toast?

31 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So I planted my soft touch holly and pencil holly last Saturday.... we had a couple of freezing nights this week and I checked them today and they are all black and losing their leaves. I’m stunned.

Could a frost really have done that to them? They are hardy down to like -20.

And will they come back or are they toast?

They didn’t ship dormant? They’ll probably come back. Are they in the ground or did you leave them in the pots? How cold did it get?

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They didn’t ship dormant? They’ll probably come back. Are they in the ground or did you leave them in the pots? How cold did it get?

I don’t think they did..... they are in the ground... they’ve been in for a week now. It was like upper 20s from what I have on my station.

The tops are really black... the bottoms not as black... but I just watered them and they were dropping leaves like crazy 

Upper 20s is pretty weak for a zone 5 plant. I left a fig tree out in my 29° snowstorm last May and some of the buds and leaves burned up, but they put a bunch of new growth out. 

Another possibility is they were raised in a greenhouse and the leaves are actually burnt from the UV. I put my figs and avocados out this week after being in the basement all winter under grow lights and they got scorched and are brown and dropping all leaves. They always pit new growth out after that though. 

11 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I think they will be fine Tblizz, maybe some transplant shock. Bet they will be OK and put out new growth moving into the warmer months. I mean they are evergreen shrubs, upper 20s shouldn't be doing any damage since technically they should be green when its -15 to -20 and be fine.

Agree.  Only this year's new growth would be vulnerable - maybe - at those temps.

Dropped my sewer microbe sludge today. Home Depot had the ecoscraps brand. Definitely has a little poop smell to it and you can see the corn and seed kernels in it. Lol. 

The good thing is the puppy didn't seem to notice it at all on the grass and didn't mess with it.

20210411-103518.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

How much $ is that Brian?

I'm going try this new stuff this week

Scotts® Turf Builder® Triple Action - Scotts

It was $14.98 for a 43lb bag that covers 2500 sq/ft. I'm only doing a 5000 sq/ft fenced in area for my puppy so only needed 2 bags. I didn't want to use any harsh fertilizer in his area. A big lawn would be pretty expensive. 

I guess its basically the same product as milorganite. It’s composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic matter in wastewater treatment plants. 

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

It was $14.98 for a 43lb bag that covers 2500 sq/ft. I'm only doing a 5000 sq/ft fenced in area for my puppy so only needed 2 bags. I didn't want to use any harsh fertilizer in his area. A big lawn would be pretty expensive. 

I guess its basically the same product as milorganite. It’s composed of heat-dried microbes that have digested the organic matter in wastewater treatment plants. 

The stuff I want is $28 and covers 4000 sf so same price, I need 4 bags but they say you only have to fertilize twice a year with this product.

22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Forsythia opened yesterday.  Even a couple of flowering trees.   It's way too early and a quick look at the weather pattern and it looks active.  Hopefully we can slow things down this week or else we are going to be in trouble with late season freezes

Agree (unfortunately) - 2010 rearing its ugly head once again.  It's the only year with earlier forsythia blossoms than now, as they opened here over the weekend.

6 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I have a sh#t ton of Beech and Oaks in the surrounding woods...blowing around all year long. Pretty annoying.

Nothing worse. I mean literally . All winter those Oaks keep lower leaves . Then in Napril they start dropping and take 2-3 weeks. It’s like second fall season of leaves falling and cleanup . This year has been the worst. More hung on all winter than ever. Even with multiple 50+ mph wind events.