Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Forsythias a blooming in the lower elevations here, isn't that time to put down your Lesco?

Yes, that is normally a good indicator that soil temps have reached the threshold where crabgrass will start germinating, so if you are putting down a pre-emergent weed preventer now is a good time to start.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:26 PM, dendrite said:

I'd like to cover 9/10 of my lawn with a foot of wood chips and just plant all fruit and nut trees.

If you haven't already, definitely look into sheet mulching/lasagna gardening.  Great way of turning a lawn into productive gardening with materials you have on hand or can acquire easily and inexpensively.  We do sections of our lawn as materials (cardboard, compost, woodchips from the city) become available. 

2 minutes ago, tunafish said:

If you haven't already, definitely look into sheet mulching/lasagna gardening.  Great way of turning a lawn into productive gardening with materials you have on hand or can acquire easily and inexpensively.  We do sections of our lawn as materials (cardboard, compost, woodchips from the city) become available. 

I'd love to go out in the yard and pick some fresh lasagna from the vine.

image.jpeg.051082666295934462c5e0d7a40c4e2d.jpeg

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tunafish said:

There's a lot of weenies on youtube that just use coarse wood chips (with leaves/needles) and just keep adding to them every couple of years. They keep breaking down and enriching the soil while the top layer mulches and inhibits weeds. My chicken run is on its 4th year with wood chips and when I dig down I can see the white stranded mycorrhizae in the broken down fertile soil. That's probably why the bamboo goes so insane in there...a little chicken poop here and there probably helps too.

I used a horticultural blend mulch (natural mulch + compost) last year in my garden beds, but never actually planted. It all broke down over winter so I'll plant in it this year and add more of the mulch on top. It'll probably go nuts this year.

When you think about it the forest is super fertile and needs no additives. It's just a self sustaining system (as long as we don't mess it up). All you have to do is sorta mimic the forest and let the soil and microorganisms do all of the work on their own.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, tunafish said:

When I first started landscaping the new house I got real tired of chopping out the grass in square foot sections, so eventually I just gave up and started with a cardboard base to prevent the grass from growing through and it worked great. 

Given the amount of food/Amazon delivery we've had in the last year I have no shortage of cardboard for the additional beds I'm putting in this year.

• Like 1

That's great, @OceanStWx.  We were in the same boat and made these in the fall, and will be planting in them this spring.  Any and all grass in these pictures will go the same way as materials become available. 

Not sure if Portland does the same, but we contacted SoPo public works and they dropped about 3 yards of woodchips for us from tree work around the city.

Screenshot_20210406-151151_Gallery.jpg

46 minutes ago, BrianW said:

What does everyone use for lawn fertilizer with pets? We got a puppy in November and fenced in a 5000sq/ft area for him. Want to use something natural/organic to make the lawn nice for him. Saw this at Lowes. I guess its made from sewage sludge? 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PROCARE-36-lb-2500-sq-ft-4-3-0-Natural-Lawn-Fertilizer/1000696136

Yea, there have been a few companies doing poop fertilizer for a few years now.  I would do fully organic if I could, but my yard is too big and cost prohibitive.  Those organic fertilizers are nice because you can put them down any time during the warm season without worry about burning your lawn (or envorimental factors).  You could put down twice the recommended bag rate if you wanted to with those organic Ferts.

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, there have been a few companies doing poop fertilizer for a few years now.  I would do fully organic if I could, but my yard is too big and cost prohibitive.  Those organic fertilizers are nice because you can put them down any time during the warm season without worry about burning your lawn (or envorimental factors).  You could put down twice the recommended bag rate if you wanted to with those organic Ferts.

Thanks. 

For tick/insect control everyone seems to recommend wondercide. Anyone have any experience with it? 

https://www.wondercide.com/collections/yard-and-garden-pests

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

What does everyone use for lawn fertilizer with pets? We got a puppy in November and fenced in a 5000sq/ft area for him. Want to use something natural/organic to make the lawn nice for him. Saw this at Lowes. I guess its made from sewage sludge? 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PROCARE-36-lb-2500-sq-ft-4-3-0-Natural-Lawn-Fertilizer/1000696136

I have to use this with my chickens. 
https://coop-poop.com

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

I had a food delivery guy who used to work landscaping suggest Milorganite when I was top dressing last year and I tried it out around Halloween. Remains to be seen how the grass will grow, but the front half that I used it on has greened up very quickly. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I had a food delivery guy who used to work landscaping suggest Milorganite when I was top dressing last year and I tried it out around Halloween. Remains to be seen how the grass will grow, but the front half that I used it on has greened up very quickly. 

I've used it alot over the past 10 years or so..nice product. Great for smaller-ish yards or bigger ones if price is no object :)

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I'm curious myself as I was going to spray something similar this spring, but have never used it.

The reviews are pretty stellar. It looks like its mainly cedarwood oil and a bunch of other plant based oils. The ticks are out of control here already. The concentrated bottle, if your willing to mix seems really affordable for the coverage. They also have a sprayer you can attach to the hose. 

https://www.wondercide.com/pages/our-ingredients

54 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

For me when the forsythia bloom is the first real sign that the trees are about to green up?  Are any in bloom yet in SNE?

They have been in full bloom for the last week or so on the CT shoreline. Everything seems a bit ahead this spring. Down in southwest CT its like full leaf out. 

• Like 1