• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

21 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Yes I use test strips. I just use the 3” chlorine disks, 1-2 a week in the skimmer and 1-2 a week in a pool floater. Got a 40 pound bucket at Sam’s club for $99. Should last me all summer. 

The chlorine disks do not work at all for me. I've tried them the last few years. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The chlorine disks do not work at all for me. I've tried them the last few years. 

I find that the CL disks help maintain some CL level but still have to shock every 2 or 3 week esp if water temps are 80+...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I find that the CL disks help maintain some CL level but still have to shock every 2 or 3 week esp if water temps are 80+...

Yeah they may work when temps are cool, but once real summer arrives they don't work too well. I have a 24' 4 foot deep pool so its a lot of water for just tablets. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah they may work when temps are cool, but once real summer arrives they don't work too well. I have a 24' 4 foot deep pool so its a lot of water for just tablets. 

Not sure as this is just my first year with a pool. However water is up to 78 degrees with the solar cover and heater on. Before today it’s been pretty toasty the last week or so which really warmed the pool up. Water was 43 degrees just 2 weeks ago. Pool feels like bath water now. Those solar heaters really do a hell of a job. I have a 27 foot by 4 foot pool and a 36” x 20 foot solar heater. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Are you on well water or something?  Isn’t water virtually free here in upstate NY?

Ive never had a water bill more than $80 for a quarter. It’s insane how cheap water is here. When I lived in Rhode Island it was around $300-400 a quarter and I didn’t even have kids then so that was for just 2 people. 

Yuck!

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... This is one of those forecasts that makes you question the date the calendar seems to be pointing to. No, you shouldn`t be getting ready for Dyngus Day, rather this is the start of the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Needless to say, there is nothing that will seem at all like the start of the summer for our region with temperatures so far below normal for the next day or two that we will actually have wind chill factors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not sure as this is just my first year with a pool. However water is up to 78 degrees with the solar cover and heater on. Before today it’s been pretty toasty the last week or so which really warmed the pool up. Water was 43 degrees just 2 weeks ago. Pool feels like bath water now. Those solar heaters really do a hell of a job. I have a 27 foot by 4 foot pool and a 36” x 20 foot solar heater. 

I don't use a solar cover and usually that results in more algae then without. I was looking into getting one this year to keep the water warmer, just a pain taking on and off. I've tried the tablets with 2 floaters and 2 in filter and just doesn't cut it. The bottom of the pool turns green without the shock. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I’m at our cottage in Chaumont (northeast end of Lake Ontario). Pretty sure some mangled flakes were mixed in as precip started about 30 minutes ago. Looks and feels like November, minus greenery. 

To me it had the classic feel of Halloween weather this morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I hope so. Opening the pool this weekend. 

Opened our pool last week and we were swimming on Tuesday...no solar cover, 28’ round...water temp was 78 that day...I’ve had a pool in my life since my childhood and NEVER could I remember swimming so early with out the side of a heater or swimming in the south. It was surreal...oh and it is officially 8 degrees away from freezing in Williamsville right now wind chill in the low 30’s...WTF...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Opened our pool last week and we were swimming on Tuesday...no solar cover, 28’ round...water temp was 78 that day...I’ve had a pool in my life since my childhood and NEVER could I remember swimming so early with out the side of a heater or swimming in the south. It was surreal...oh and it is officially 8 degrees away from freezing in Williamsville right now wind chill in the low 30’s...WTF...

Welcome to Buffalo

• Haha 2