• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Figured I'd start a new thread with Spring starting officially in a few days. The next week looks beautiful!

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 38.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 53.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 59.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 63.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 64.
Wednesday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66.
Thursday
Partly sunny, with a high near 62.

image.thumb.png.11d6e077e16b8d9ff82107da57196c56.png

image.thumb.png.7874d93a1069d8de6a99d59839f1a207.png

• Like 1

Bring it....I made it to 100" this week, so it can be done...

BTW, dog owner tip.....now that the snow is gone, if you need to clean up some accumulated droppings from your pet in your yard,  the next few mornings offer an opportunity to collect frozen goodies,  as opposed to softer variants....ie...a more pleasant task! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Bring it....I made it to 100" this week, so it can be done...

BTW, dog owner tip.....now that the snow is gone, if you need to clean up some accumulated droppings from your pet in your yard,  the next few mornings offer an opportunity to collect frozen goodies,  as opposed to softer variants....ie...a more pleasant task! :)

I have to clean up after my dog every time he goes out, if not he eats it. I've tried everything to stop him from doing it, but nothing works. So my yard is completely clean! ^_^

3 hours ago, brentrich said:

Sure! Here you go. 

gfs_z500a_us_41.png

Not trying to troll you but you do realize that by late March most of the averages in NY and Ontario are well into 40s and 50s. And spring in NY and Ontario almost always have snow and some cold spells. I actually expect to wake up one morning in April and see 1" of sloppy snow covering flowers and green grass. It happens nearly every year.  

The fantasy GFS Buffaloweather posted is exactly what happens in late March and April. Buffalo and Cleveland could see 4-8" and be under a winter storm warning and be 31F and heavy snow. While Detroit and Toronto are 40F with sloppy rain and wet snow because the best forcing is south of them. 

I enjoy watching big spring snowstorms in the midwest and plains. Could be 50F and cloudy in the Dakotas, 32F and blizzard in Minneapolis and 75F and thunderstorms in Chicago. The maps show very clearly where the heaviest precipitation is because its coldest and just cold enough for a big time snowstorm. 

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The stats here demonstrate how mild of a snow season it has been...especially for those north of the Thruway. The Oswego to Fulton to Syracuse strip.....BAD.

CNY Snowfall Totals

Is this the lowest Syracuse has had in years? The problem this year was the cold air.

There wasn't alot around at all which is surprising given  the negative NAO and AO. I finished the winter with 37.4 inches here in NYC which is 10 inches above normal but all my snow events were with temps in the upper 20s to low 30s. ( wet snow )

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Is this the lowest Syracuse has had in years? The problem this year was the cold air.

There wasn't alot around at all which is surprising given  the negative NAO and AO. I finished the winter with 37.4 inches here in NYC which is 10 inches above normal but all my snow events were with temps in the upper 20s to low 30s. ( wet snow )

Definitely top 10 least snow winters....maybe the 5th least snowy winter? Unfortunately, several of the least snowy have been in this century.

Our four least snowy Winters: 2001-’02 (59.4”), 2011-’12 (50.6”) 1982-’83 (66.0”), and 1994-’95 (66.9”)

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Definitely top 10 least snow winters....maybe the 5th least snowy winter? Unfortunately, several of the least snowy have been in this century.

Our four least snowy Winters: 2001-’02 (59.4”), 2011-’12 (50.6”) 1982-’83 (66.0”), and 1994-’95 (66.9”)

Very surprising seeing the big differences between Syracuse and Oswego since those areas are close to each other.

Just now, MJO812 said:

Very surprising seeing the big differences between Syracuse and Oswego since those areas are close to each other.

That 15 inch difference is actually very minor.  It's not abnormal to see a seasonal difference of feet between locations around here...some of it depends on the wind setup. However, "usually" even with those differences, many locations will be in unison with having a good winter. This is, unless, it's a winter with a consistent wind coming from the SAME direction. For example, Watertown has done pretty good the past couple winters because of a never-ending SW wind off Lake Ontario. This winter, it was this strange consistent NW trajectory that continuously put the LES...what little came...over the Finger Lakes. This is why Auburn did better compared to many in CNY. The winds haven't been as variable the past couple winters to let everybody cash in. Plus, cold air, like you said....has been in short supply.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

That 15 inch difference is actually very minor.  It's not abnormal to see a seasonal difference of feet between locations around here...some of it depends on the wind setup. However, "usually" even with those differences, many locations will be in unison with having a good winter. This is, unless, it's a winter with a consistent wind coming from the SAME direction. For example, Watertown has done pretty good the past couple winters because of a never-ending SW wind off Lake Ontario. This winter, it was this strange consistent NW trajectory that continuously put the LES...what little came...over the Finger Lakes. This is why Auburn did better compared to many in CNY. The winds haven't been as variable the past couple winters to let everybody cash in. Plus, cold air, like you said....has been in short supply.

I feel like that is going to be a problem nearly every winter going forward. We didn't drop below zero once in Buffalo this winter. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I feel like that is going to be a problem nearly every winter going forward. We didn't drop below zero once in Buffalo this winter. 

Boo! How rare is that for Buffalo?

I am thinking winters like last winter are going to become the norm. A few snow events with cutters that wash all the snow away. Up...down...up...down. Gone are the days of consistent snow cover. If we hadn't had the little SSW event to change things a "little" for this February, this very well would have been the least snowy winter here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I am thinking winters like last winter are going to become the norm. A few snow events with cutters that wash all the snow away. Up...down...up...down. Gone are the days of consistent snow cover. If we hadn't had the little SSW event to change things a "little" for this February, this very well would have been the least snowy winter here.

Not a great winter either in NNE.

The original winter forecast was for a mild snowless winter for the Mid Atlantic and alot of the Northeast. Blocking saved many in the northern mid Atlantic.

Parts of NJ saw over 50 inches

Central Park ( if we don't get any more snow ) will end up slightly more than Boston ?

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Not a great winter either in NNE.

The original winter forecast was for a mild snowless winter for the Mid Atlantic and alot of the Northeast. Blocking saved many in the northern mid Atlantic.

Parts of NJ saw over 50 inches

Central Park ( if we don't get any more snow ) will end up slightly more than Boston ?

Yeah, I have seen the posts from Phineas and the Maine folks on that.

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I’d tend to agree with this. If you believe the idea of warming, which I do, I think it lends itself to a more amplified pattern. Possibly with random visits by the vortex. 
Nobody really know. I think the biggest problem for us Matt, is that we live at temperate lake plain. The ADK’s are where it’s at. Or on top of the Tug. They’ll still get lots and it’ll stay through the transient warm spells. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I'm not sure but just look at this list and tell me global warming isn't real. Look at the top 10 warmest/coldest years at the bottom. 4 out of 5 of the warmest years on record are in the last 15 years. The last time a year was top 10 for coldest on record? 1943...and before that 1926. Insane

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10

• Like 2