• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Post Christmas storm threat is still vey real

Damage In Tolland

Its funny just following these threads and not actually posting. Everyone was happy and cheerful yesterday because of a few good model runs. Now today everyone is ready to put their fist through their monitor because of some bad model runs. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if tomorrow its the complete opposite again.

Agree 100%

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ... haven't looked at maps, just checking in here ... mobile and busy. Not a disaster yet, though I suspect Doc steps east.

I like where we are right now actually, earlier yesterday we could not get this storm north of the benchmark, Its not far from a significant Nor'easter, I don't care for a KU storm because they never really play out here, Give me 4-8,6-12 and i am fine with that........

12z NAM appears to be a hiccup run and doesn’t fit anything leading up to – toss it beyond 48 hours. NCEP discusses the NAM odd behavior with some of the mass fields in the MV/TV region; thus enters all kinds of contention/suspicion in how this run is handling this complex phasing.

The 06z was a dandy in regards to best fit – I’d go with that one, extrapolate.

The Euro model was stallwart on quick bombogen and moderate impact in the MA, ranging to moderate/major further up the coast; has a much better continuity aloft over successive runs - to boot, a superior score - to discount an 84 hour would be unwise given that the run fits so well with mass field evolution.

The GFS appears to have weakened the northern stream input into the phase; I'd be surprised if the 12z Euro rolled in with that and I suspect this is the last turd run of the GFS before it finally capitulates to the Euro... 18z/00z thereabouts.

Teleconnections still very much support this event.

These 12z American runs are just behaving oddly rather suddenly - not impressed without continuity.

Re the extended - it is intriguing to see the Pac jet punch across the NW/N tier states that way- it's what stops this from lingering. This is rather new across the last 2 cycles of the GFS and ECM, and it makes it very uncertain what is in store beyond this first more widespread winter storm. The PNA as CPC is forecast to at last go positive, but it is still rather blasse-neutral looking at CDC. This Pac invasion of these deterministic runs does not fit the CDC/CPC PNA mean... fascinating.

The NAO relaxes but stays predominantly negative at both. A wild winter ...

Can we PLEASE limit the use of the term "KU"? It doesn't just refer to a big snow storm. Half of the references I see are incorrect. New England can get demolished in a non-KU event. In fact, most of those cases are near misses.

A lot of people need to post less and read more.

This was a funny thread to come back to after doing some Christmas shopping this morning. As soon as I saw the GFS run now, I knew I would click on this thread and see suicides all over the place.

From DT...just a great post.

IF it turns out that the 12 NAM and 12z GFS Ukie are correct

THINK about that

while the operational Euro solution was extreme and fun to wacth and impressive in the way the model held it for 2 or 3 runs

right now even the euro ens mean forecast would turn out to be 100% wrong

ask yoruselves and be honest....

would you in a million years ever think the euro ensemble eman would turn to be totally wrong

after showing the same thing for 6 + runs ?

and that the Nam and GFS will be correct and there will be NO snow -- NONE -- over RIC DCA BWI PHL NYC BDL... and darn LItlte in BOS?

really?

From DT...just a great post.

I echoed those sentiments in that post a moment ago...

Trouble is, you are not going to be able to reach the masses on this because 'the masses' do not really posess the analytical approach to a given model run. It's a deterministic snap shot in their mind, and the buck stops there.

That is why there is such palbable to point of almost maddening observation of yo-yooing emotions. 2 faults there that compound one another: 1) investing personal or emotional stock in 'whether or not you get a storm' is insanity, period; but failing number 1, ...2) then to not posess the native ability to be analytical you've lost your only hope to restore any stability to the former failure. It's a deadly closed circuit where you are forever enslaved to the whims of modeling - it makes one sick really when you think how creepy that is.

I looked at the 12z guidance and thought interesting, looks like this thing is still on docket as an EC concern - amazing to have so many days to have followed this. Then I happened to check out this thread and sure enough, just because model x-y-z showed whatever...

Archived