• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS-NOWCAST: Back-Back snow accumulation risk (late March 16). This thread focused on March 19, 2021

wdrag

Advisory situation may be coming to a portion of the forum-not a lock, for the Friday morning commute, despite probable less than official criteria amounts NYC/LI due to sharply falling temps to between 25-30F with sleet to snow in the 5A-8A time frame and gusty n-ne wind of 30-40 MPH. Snow ends sometime late morning-midday with temps recovering above freezing in the afternoon. Wind gusts for a few minutes between midnight and 8A could reach 50 MPH in parts of the area. Added wind event to the thread.  Snowfall for NYC-LI T- at most 2", while a bit heavier seems likely I84 corridor extreme nw NJ of 1/2 to possibly 3". Think the best chance for 2+" in our subforum is CT. If the precip ends more abruptly, then we escape the advisory and amounts will be under 1" with the lesser snowfall of the 00z/17 cycle ICON, UKMET, 12K NAM considered.  

Note: this pgh on snow ratios added at 550A/17: as the transition to snow occurs, the first hour or two may be melting on most surfaces and certainly pack down to snow ratios less than 10 to 1, possibly closer to 7 to 1 or something like that.

Some of the modeling has complications not only Friday, but also next Monday.  For Friday, there could be two bands of halfway decent accumulative snow,  one across I84 and the other just south of I78 across central or s NJ? TBD. 

Then, next Monday:  the 00z/17 EPS and GEPS want to form a deep cyclonic circulation off the mid or south Atlantic coast this weekend and drift it north or northeast early next week, spreading rain back into the area.  Depending on latitude of formation, will determine how much warming aloft occurs.  ENS have 850 temps in the +3/+4C range next Monday, too warm for snow, provided all the excessive height rises and warming aloft that is modeled in the northeast occurs. If that shifts north, then there is a real long shot (very low chance) we might be looking at some marginal thermal profiles for a bit of wet snow in CT.  At this time, I wouldn't be promising mostly clear skies and dry weather for Sunday afternoon-Tuesday morning. 

Added the 0841z/17 NWS ensemble prob for >1" of snow Friday.  You can see the concern for going too heavy. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 5.36.39 AM.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Soaker. Up to 2” of QPF possible followed by perhaps 1-3” here inland. SNE is the probable focal point for the biggest potential snow 

Even that is iffy-how many times have we seen the precip wrap up before true cold arrives....thread the needle for SNE as well....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I hope we get 2 inches of snow. Want Central Park to reach 40 inches.

Highly unlikely. Much more likely is Boston getting their 5-6” event that overtakes NYC for good this season. I don’t see it being more than a burst of snow at the end that barely or doesn’t accumulate around the city. Looks like a standard washout that becomes a cold washout with some slush at the end. North of town especially north of 84 could get a few inches. 

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Slide that south

Where is the NAO when we need it

Even if the snow maps did show accums down here I’d be skeptical. It’s rare that we start with upper 40s and heavy rain but end up with decent snow accums in this area. This is an upstate NY/New England setup. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Even if the snow maps did show accums down here I’d be skeptical. It’s rare that we start with upper 40s and heavy rain but end up with decent snow accums in this area. This is an upstate NY/New England setup. 

yeah and it's March too so the ground is that much warmer.   The heaviest precip moves out before the real cold gets in.   Maybe a car topper if we're lucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah and it's March too so the ground is that much warmer.   The heaviest precip moves out before the real cold gets in.   Maybe a car topper if we're lucky.

The 10:1 ratio snowmaps that count sleet as snow being posted here are going to be complete and total garbage and extremely inaccurate, never mind the fact that ratios are going to be much lower than 10:1. Ratios Friday morning are going to be somewhere around 7:1 or even lower, mid-March, this is white rain, less than an inch total for the metro area

• Weenie 1