Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

1996 Aurora, IL type deluge in Tennessee.  Yikes

17” in 24 hours, broke the old state record by 3”. Reading some of the accounts of how fast some creeks rose - unimaginable to me. One person was in a building 400’ from a creek that they said had never left its banks and within a minute was at roof level standing on things to gasp for air.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, luckyweather said:

17” in 24 hours, broke the old state record by 3”. Reading some of the accounts of how fast some creeks rose - unimaginable to me. One person was in a building 400’ from a creek that they said had never left its banks and within a minute was at roof level standing on things to gasp for air.

They had nearly ten inches of rain in three hours. That site where the record was broken was just a few miles upstream from Waverly, where at least 20 of the deaths were and many of the missing are. No wonder that creek rose like it did.

That building was a grocery store and the pics I have seen of it now...a damn mess. It looks like the water level was at least six feet high or more in there. Also amazing to see brick houses demolished and broken apart by floodwaters. Not just the usual suspects(mobile homes, unanchored older houses, etc.)washed away or destroyed in this. The dirty water mark level in the remains of one broken open brick house was about 1 foot below the ceiling.

• Sad 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, Brian D said:

Just looking at summer a little more closely with my modelling method shows quite a variable summer with temps, and plenty of rain/thunder chances. Can't talk to the svr part for everyone, but the chances are there, especially my way.

Edit: Added map for my thinking.

Summer temp forecast.png

Came close.

Summer departures.png

Summer precip departures.png

This will be my one and only post about this here...

I know that many of you use this board for weather discussion and nothing else.  You'll see that my color has changed and that I am no longer a moderator.  As far as what happened, I have my version of events, others have theirs, and we'll leave it at that.  A member's sideshow has never had a place for discussion here. 

That being said, the staff was put in a bad position.  It's my fault and I apologize.

As far as things going forward, well, I don't know.  I have absolutely no involvement in any deliberations happening behind the scenes as far as a moderator, or if we will even have one (a couple subforums don't). 

I have been with this board for over 10 years and made who knows how many thousands of posts in this subforum, and I have a lot more to give.  I look forward to discussing the weather again, and hopefully it starts with something interesting tomorrow.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

19 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Thank you sir, to be honest I think it would be good to have a couple here. Maybe one Chicago like Alek and one non-Chicago like myself. Personally I am just letting this play out and see.

Honestly, I never considered Alek as mod but the more I think about it, the more I think he'd do a great job

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Honestly, I never considered Alek as mod but the more I think about it, the more I think he'd do a great job

Of course if he wants it but he would be a great candidate along with myself. The main thing is adding a couple to cover everything. Not to mention it isn't bad to have extra around just in case.

• Like 1