Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Wish they'd have built like 10 miles further west .

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

They did, had a severe warning about an hour ago. Storm was nearly stationary and appeared to take on brief supercell characteristics with a NW-SE orientation to the reflectivity pattern. It's essentially died out over the same spot.

A nice little garden variety line of storms came through. Only about half an inch of rain here, more to the north. Will help keep things nice and green and more rain expected later in the week. Nice to have the grass green and not going dormant at all. All of the crops around here look really good as well. The heat is on later this week, highs at or over 90-with humidity to go with it. Such is Summer in Ohio.

I have planted a hell of a lot of plants here and at my father's place in Cbus this year, glad to not be fighting a drought.

Seems like wet weekends are becoming more common while completely dry weekends are becoming rare year after year. Even one station in Indianapolis keeps track of all the wet and dry weekends every year.

From CBS 4 Indy's blog published last Thursday for example:
WET-WEEKENDS.png?w=900

If this is the new norm, screw this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Another moderately-promising system passes by with little to no rain in Cedar Rapids.  My combined July/August rain total is only 0.82".  With only a couple exceptions in June, this entire warm season has sucked... right at the top of the "most boring spring/summer ever" list.

Sorry man. Was in the running for that category in S. WI too, but the last couple weeks have turned that around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

3 weeks of monitoring weather with my Tempest station. Placed in a very wooded location, but very good site for precip, much cooler than surrounding sites. But....shade is supposedly the real air temp.

2051663773_SunsetPines.png.54c065ff3bb8c1b177db5895bb0c6914.png

Interesting concept with the lack of moving parts etc.  I've read that those aren't very accurate with rainfall, especially during heavy rains.  Have you tried verifying it against an old fashioned regular rain gauge?  When I got the first Davis years ago it took me awhile to trust the automated tippy cup style gauge.  I verified it against my old gauge for several different types of events before I fully trusted it.  

One thing I like about having a station with moving cups is it keeps the birds away.  With the lack of moving cups I'd imagine cleaning bird crap off the station on a weekly basis lol.  

3 weeks of monitoring weather with my Tempest station. Placed in a very wooded location, but very good site for precip, much cooler than surrounding sites. But....shade is supposedly the real air temp.
2051663773_SunsetPines.png.54c065ff3bb8c1b177db5895bb0c6914.png

The issue with your case is that you’re doubling down on the shade component. Most wx stations already have ventilated shields, which obviously shade and ventilate the thermometer. So by placing it in a heavily wooded/shaded area, you’re now getting an unrealistically too cool of temperature.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

The issue with your case is that you’re doubling down on the shade component. Most wx stations already have ventilated shields, which obviously shade and ventilate the thermometer. So by placing it in a heavily wooded/shaded area, you’re now getting an unrealistically too cool of temperature.

There's no shield or screen on this. It's simply close to woods.

17 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting concept with the lack of moving parts etc.  I've read that those aren't very accurate with rainfall, especially during heavy rains.  Have you tried verifying it against an old fashioned regular rain gauge?  When I got the first Davis years ago it took me awhile to trust the automated tippy cup style gauge.  I verified it against my old gauge for several different types of events before I fully trusted it.  

One thing I like about having a station with moving cups is it keeps the birds away.  With the lack of moving cups I'd imagine cleaning bird crap off the station on a weekly basis lol.  

The rain on Wednesday was almost exactly the same as radar estimates. It's surprisingly very accurate. Birds tend to perch on objects that are in open areas. This station is close to woods and birds have no reason to land on it....they also sell a bird repelling spike collar, but no need so far. I find moving parts fail on most consumer grade stations.

I don't have a very good yard for wind with all of the trees, so I don't really pay much attention to the wind readings.

I know this isn’t the proper thread, but sadly, the coronavirus conversation needs to be reopened. Given the latest developments, I think it would be wise for this “generally analytical” group to discuss the current trends. I highly valued the discussions on this board during previous waves, and I would love to hear some current opinions on boosters, breakthroughs, Israel’s data, etc. 

• Like 1