Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

The reason being “that topic” seems to be far more contentious, even among weather enthusiasts, than it should be. Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but if a person is posting on weather forums, that would indicate to me that he or she follows the weather enough that it should be very obvious.

I agree, but it is always differentiated as weather vs climate.

25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I agree, but it is always differentiated as weather vs climate.

And of course there’s that. As weather enthusiasts, we also know that it would be silly to use one heat wave, no matter how unprecedented, as Exhibit A in our argument.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sojitodd said:

Lytton is just burning up right now. Full evacuation with reports(and video)of much of it engulfed in flames. As if they did not have enough this past week with it reaching 121. Apparently it all developed so quickly and moved into the town that some people had to leave everything including pets. Just unbelievable for them to go through this. I hope there are no human fatalities and I dread to think of the pets that were left behind. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfires-june-30-2021-1.6085919

That's unbelievable, I woke up to this news. There is a chance I could've been there as if I knew what level of heat was in store for BC I would've flew to the interior to witness history and feel 50C. Likely I would've been somewhere else like Kelowna since Lytton wouldn't have too many inns with a pop. of 250 or so. It crossed my mind that it would be too dangerous just for the wildfire risk alone. This is one of those times where a child's mindset actually happened as with temps like that one would think its so hot the place would burst into flames.

35 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

That's unbelievable, I woke up to this news. There is a chance I could've been there as if I knew what level of heat was in store for BC I would've flew to the interior to witness history and feel 50C. Likely I would've been somewhere else like Kelowna since Lytton wouldn't have too many inns with a pop. of 250 or so. It crossed my mind that it would be too dangerous just for the wildfire risk alone. This is one of those times where a child's mindset actually happened as with temps like that one would think its so hot the place would burst into flames.

Last night I read a report that at least 10 homes had burned down along with 2 commercial buildings-apparently the business district was hit badly. I have not been able to get any more information that is specific like that since. They say that there are another 1,000 or so people who live in the immediate vicinity of the town(outside of it's official limits containing the 250 people). 

I hope the majority of the town and environs escaped destruction...we will see. 

I think this may be a extraordinarily bad fire season for much of the Western US and Western Canada. Basically it will be rainless and hot for the rest of the summer for much of the area. And there are numerous fires already. 

• Sad 1

Here is an article co-authored by Dr.Jeff Masters (haven't come across his name for a while) and Bob Henson (credits include Christopher Burt, Maximiliano Herrera) putting some more insane stats on just what took place:

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/07/western-canada-burns-and-deaths-mount-after-worlds-most-extreme-heat-wave-in-modern-history/

Here are some snippets:

"The lighting from the dry thunderstorms (pyrocumulonimbus) that developed was so intense that over 700,000 intracloud and cloud-to-ground lightning flashes were recorded in 15 hours, including more than 100,000 cloud-to-ground strikes. That’s about 5% of the total number of lightning flashes Canada typically sees in an entire year."

"According to Herrera, more all-time heat records have been broken by at least 5°C (9°F) in the past week’s heat wave than in the previous 84-plus years of world weather recordkeeping, going back to July 1936. It’s worth noting that the record North American heat of the 1930s, including 1936, was largely connected to the Dust Bowl, in which the effects of a multiyear drought were amplified by over-plowed, denuded soil across the Great Plains – an example of human-induced climate change itself, albeit temporary."

At the end they cite a 240 Hr GFS frame for more heat coming to the west, a no-no. YCC is a AGW Climate Change site.

51 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Here is an article co-authored by Dr.Jeff Masters (haven't come across his name for a while) and Bob Henson (credits include Christopher Burt, Maximiliano Herrera) putting some more insane stats on just what took place:

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/07/western-canada-burns-and-deaths-mount-after-worlds-most-extreme-heat-wave-in-modern-history/

Here are some snippets:

"The lighting from the dry thunderstorms (pyrocumulonimbus) that developed was so intense that over 700,000 intracloud and cloud-to-ground lightning flashes were recorded in 15 hours, including more than 100,000 cloud-to-ground strikes. That’s about 5% of the total number of lightning flashes Canada typically sees in an entire year."

"According to Herrera, more all-time heat records have been broken by at least 5°C (9°F) in the past week’s heat wave than in the previous 84-plus years of world weather recordkeeping, going back to July 1936. It’s worth noting that the record North American heat of the 1930s, including 1936, was largely connected to the Dust Bowl, in which the effects of a multiyear drought were amplified by over-plowed, denuded soil across the Great Plains – an example of human-induced climate change itself, albeit temporary."

At the end they cite a 240 Hr GFS frame for more heat coming to the west, a no-no. YCC is a AGW Climate Change site.

That’s almost certainly not worthy of being referenced yet, but regardless of whether or not it verifies, I happened to notice that frame when scanning the models this afternoon. The temperature at Las Vegas at 5am on that frame is 99F

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Appears to be a ghost upgrade.  There was no heads up and nobody knows who did it.  :lol:

Not a fan so far.

BUT we have badges now! Was pleased to see I finally got one year in recognition after joining *checks notes* eight years ago...:lol:

• Haha 3

On 7/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, sojitodd said:

Last night I read a report that at least 10 homes had burned down along with 2 commercial buildings-apparently the business district was hit badly. I have not been able to get any more information that is specific like that since. They say that there are another 1,000 or so people who live in the immediate vicinity of the town(outside of it's official limits containing the 250 people). 

I think this may be a extraordinarily bad fire season for much of the Western US and Western Canada. Basically it will be rainless and hot for the rest of the summer for much of the area. And there are numerous fires already. 

Well it did not escape and was basically obliterated.  :(  The aerial pics show very few buildings left standing.  Just very bizarre to have this town make the headlines as the hottest spot in Canada ever, coming out of nowhere, and then it gets burned to the ground as well making headlines for that. 

I guess I should not take the weakish weather in Central Ohio for granted and not complain too much about relatively minor weather things.

*Now these random "badge" notifications popping up are something I will complain and bitch about...late as hell and corny! "posting machine"...really? lol.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Anyone on mobile having an issue getting to menu options/logging in?  I don't see anything for that.

Here is the direct login link if anyone does need it:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/login

So did you get a special badge for having so many posts? You will probably be loaded with them!

Only 500 posts needed for a "posting machine" badge! lol.

Another putrid downgrade to the forum appearance and UI, a week after dealing with the raydar.ca shutdown too. Who the hell designs this shit? The most amazing part is that thread meta-data panel on the right (that you can't get rid of) that leaves 30% of your screen space (on PC) wasted for the whole page! :arrowhead: This is worse than the last downgrade which really made me cheerful.

The AmWx logo at the top doesn't show more than a faint thunderbolt outline but when I switch on dark mode it appears. That ranking icon overlay on everyone's avatar should be removed since its useless (just rookie rank 2/14 for Hoosier!?). The badges are a wonderful gift, I can't wait to see what I get for my 1000th post which is this one :lol:.

EDIT: I just got the posting machine one again for 1000 posts :sleepy:. Very creative. I love how above each badge it says rare including "first post" one :lmao:.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

In all seriousness, obviously the inner machinations of the forum are enigmatic to me, but surely someone at the top is involved in developing updates, especially ones that change the UI this drastically. Wouldn't there be a heads-up to at least moderators as a courtesy?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, Torchageddon said:

Las Vegas 7-Day Forecast:

rd1v.png

Its currently 109F for today. My dream forecast is another's nightmare. Phoenix isn't this hot. Those overnight lows are astounding. The long duration paired with last week's heatwave is going to be deadly. 

I saw that for Furnace Creek, Death Valley CA they have a day upcoming forecasted with a high of 128 and low of 102!  Hey they have a golf course...let's go golfing (and die in ten minutes)! 

*I really just wanted to post anything to get to my 900th post...

And I need some RAIN here! Not only above 90 for three days straight but dry as heck. Storms all around popping up but Central Ohio stays dry.

Looks like today will end up with a 116/93 max/min in Las Vegas. 

The low of 93 is tied for the 6th warmest daily min on record.  All of these high min records have occurred in the last 20 years, driven by UHI.  Prior to 2002, no daily min above 91 was ever recorded...and mins of 90-91 only occurred 3 times.

95 (7/1/2013; 7/19/2005)

94 (7/12/2020; 7/29/2016; 7/20/2005)

93 (today and 5 other days, all since 2005)

The daily average temp of 104.5 is tied for the 2nd highest daily mean temp since 1937.  The only higher daily mean temp since 1937 was 7/19/2005 (106.0).  That day was actually the hottest day in LV history based on daily average temp - 117/95 max/min.  

On 7/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, Hoosier said:

The kinks with the upgrade are getting worked out.  If anyone notices something that isn't working/accessible, post it here.

Doubt anything can be done about this but we used to be able to mark specific areas like "Lakes/ OhioValley" as read while leaving the other areas Like Sports or the Mid-Atlantic alone. Now when you hit mark site as read the whole entire site is blanked out. Just an observation.  Or am I missing something?

21 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Doubt anything can be done about this but we used to be able to mark specific areas like "Lakes/ OhioValley" as read while leaving the other areas Like Sports or the Mid-Atlantic alone. Now when you hit mark site as read the whole entire site is blanked out. Just an observation.  Or am I missing something?

Hmm.  I am able to mark the individual forums as read.