Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

I really don't think it gets much more absurd than this.

Everything about what is going down in the PNW is crazy. Like getting to 115 degrees in Chicago crazy. All-time record highs are going to be smashed by big margins all over the place if the models actually verify. And the scariest part of all? The GFS has led the way the whole time...

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

I really don't think it gets much more absurd than this.

For that particular stat I can't appreciate it because I don't have any perspective to reference.

I went to raydar.ca and there is now a message saying he is throwing in the towel for that excellent radar page for SON, stating there are better tools now which isn't true for free desktop ones and especially web-based. Now I don't have any good radar at all now :facepalm::facepalm:. Things just keep getting grand for this past time.

7 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

For that particular stat I can't appreciate it because I don't have any perspective to reference.

I went to raydar.ca and there is now a message saying he is throwing in the towel for that excellent radar page for SON, stating there are better tools now which isn't true for free desktop ones and especially web-based. Now I don't have any good radar at all now :facepalm::facepalm:. Things just keep getting grand for this past time.

The NWS provided radar is the worst of the lot now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

The old NWS NEXRAD radar can be found at the link below.

But naturally, the site is down for maintenance right now.

https://gis.ncdc.noaa.gov/maps/ncei/radar

The University of Iowa also still uses the old NWS NEXRAD radar (with a loop):

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/GIS/apps/rview/warnings.phtml?autopilot=0&osite=FWD&tzoff=0&layers[]=nexrad&layers[]=warnings&layers[]=cwas&layers[]=uscounties&layers[]=watches&layers[]=blank&site=FWD&tz=CDT&archive=yes&year=2021&month=6&day=7&hour=9&minute=35&warngeo=both&zoom=250&imgsize=640x480&loop=1&frames=25&interval=15&filter=0&cu=0&sortcol=fcster&sortdir=0&lsrlook=%2B&lsrwindow=0

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Thanks Powerball, IEM always seems to be the knight in shining armor for wx web products. Its a decent replacement for the NWS mosaic but I still don't have a good local one as I'm in the radar hole between DTX and BUF radars on that one. TWN radar is painfully terrible and abandoned since they are basically running on fumes. How do I set the radar to current for that GIS page? The other is too small at:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=none&mode=realtime&frames=1

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Forecast for Seattle on Monday is 109.  That is like beyond words.

For the airport, SeaTac, right there? damn! They are going to roast. I wonder if they are doing anything for the large homeless population there?  

Anyways I need RAIN here! I better get some this week cause things are drying up! 

And that condo collapse...I think the death toll will exceed 100.  35 units obliterated, most with people in them and some with 4-5 people in a unit. I can't think of an accidental collapse with a death toll that high for any building in the US. At least they have the "sister unit" which is identical a few parcels to the north. If they made critical errors in building the south one, maybe they are present in the north one-which I believe has already been evacuated as a precaution-or is about to be. I would have self evacuated before now if I lived in it.

9 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

For the airport, SeaTac, right there? damn! They are going to roast. I wonder if they are doing anything for the large homeless population there?  

Anyways I need RAIN here! I better get some this week cause things are drying up! 

And that condo collapse...I think the death toll will exceed 100.  35 units obliterated, most with people in them and some with 4-5 people in a unit. I can't think of an accidental collapse with a death toll that high for any building in the US. At least they have the "sister unit" which is identical a few parcels to the north. If they made critical errors in building the south one, maybe they are present in the north one-which I believe has already been evacuated as a precaution-or is about to be. I would have self evacuated before now if I lived in it.

Yes.  Latest NWS forecast for SeaTac tomorrow is 111.  Unreal.

Been some painstakingly slow progress in search and recovery.  Must be agonizing for loved ones even though you kind of figure the worst.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yes.  Latest NWS forecast for SeaTac tomorrow is 111.  Unreal.

Been some painstakingly slow progress in search and recovery.  Must be agonizing for loved ones even though you kind of figure the worst.

From what I have read, most of the relatives know that there is really little chance of survival for anyone at this point. Also making it worse are the fires-one was pretty intense and deep down in the rubble. I don't know if it is out yet or not. This must be very unsettling for anyone living in a highrise along the coast.

And Seattle is going to burn! I wonder how many even have air conditioning?  It will be brutal-the all time high for all of Ohio is 113 and that was in the 30's. They will have to watch out for heat deaths as well as an increase in accidental drownings. Extreme heat(sometimes plus alcohol)plus plunging into deep and cold water is not a good combo.

Osoyoos BC 7-Day:

ny3c.png

This is inconceivable, now TWN is forecasting the hottest Canadian temperature on record beating the previous record by 2ºC!!! :lmao::lmao: Even better, back-to-back-to-back days showing the hottest temps in our nation's history :lol:. WTF!?!? Then the humidex, nearly 50C all three days which is probably the highest since 2011 anywhere in Canada. It'll cool off to around 100F by the end of the week.

Kamloops BC is also putting up a 45 and 46C highs in the coming days with a near 50C humidex - Kam is much further north than Osoyoos. Anyone without AC in these regions is in serious trouble.

There is also a settlement in Northwest Territories - Nahanni Butte that is 36C currently and this Tues TWN shows 37C with humidex of 44C - I've never heard of humidex values nearly that high in NT! :lmao:

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

That's crazy heat out there.  For MLI to beat their all time record by 5 degrees it'd have to hit 116.  Can't imagine that ever happening lol.

It is hard enough to imagine 110 in MLI.  I think that could happen nowadays in the right setup in the midst of a big drought, but the all-time state high temperature records in the Midwest are not gonna be easy to break.

IA:  118

MO:  118

IL:  117

IN:  116

MN:  115

KY:  114

WI:  114

OH:  113

MI:  112

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It is hard enough to imagine 110 in MLI.  I think that could happen nowadays in the right setup in the midst of a big drought, but the all-time state high temperature records in the Midwest are not gonna be easy to break.

IA:  118

MO:  118

IL:  117

IN:  116

MN:  115

KY:  114

WI:  114

OH:  113

MI:  112

It's pretty hard to hit 100 around here without a major drought it seems.  '95 is one of the rare times when we hit 100 when it wasn't a dry period.  All this hybrid corn really puts a dent in ultra max out potential.  For us to ever have a shot at 110+ it will have to be a near dust-bowl era type of drought that wipes out most of the crops fairly early on in the summer.  With as strange as the weather has been this year I could see something like that happening eventually unfortunately.  

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

It's pretty hard to hit 100 around here without a major drought it seems.  '95 is one of the rare times when we hit 100 when it wasn't a dry period.  All this hybrid corn really puts a dent in ultra max out potential.  For us to ever have a shot at 110+ it will have to be a near dust-bowl era type of drought that wipes out most of the crops fairly early on in the summer.  With as strange as the weather has been this year I could see something like that happening eventually unfortunately.  

Yeah I agree.  There were some unofficial readings at or near 110 in the Ohio Valley in 2012 where the worst of the drought was, so that adds confidence that it can happen in modern times if the right pattern comes along when it's been very dry.

The all-time Canadian record has been broken a day early:

That's 116F. This is just the beginning of a defining weather event, basically my wet dream. I would've never believed we'd be beating our all-time record by margins like this. There is already talk of one in a thousand year event, etc. I think its going to be one of the most extreme weather events in Canadian history, along with my favorite March event.

• Like 1

4ceu.png

pp9j.jpg

82gq.jpg

qbli.png

What in the fresh hell is this? That's a 26C departure for Abbotsford BC, with the hottest humidex in Canadian history :lmao: That will easily surpass Lubbock Texas's all time highest temperature :poster_oops:. The 7-day at the top is Lytton BC, with their feel like 126F Tuesday. Nothing special there. Then what might be one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in wx forecasting is for Vancouver to surpass their all-time high temperature by FIVE WHOLE DEGREES CENTIGRADE!!! I've never heard of that happening anywhere and will be a unique feature in history if later today we get the 40. Humidex also set to 46-47 for them. Vancouver getting to 40 before me is just not fair; I hope I'm teleported in my sleep to the interior.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah I agree.  There were some unofficial readings at or near 110 in the Ohio Valley in 2012 where the worst of the drought was, so that adds confidence that it can happen in modern times if the right pattern comes along when it's been very dry.

Some place in Illinois. I think maybe Taylorville hit 113. 

Some downsloping comes into play for the extremity of the surface temperatures in Cascadia. 

Today should be Seattle's hottest day of the heat wave and will smash yesterday's all-time high temp record. The 12Z Quillayute, WA ballon launch captured historically warm temperatures aloft. 850mb temp below. 500mb heights were also about 20m higher than the previous record (Aug-Oct is typically when they reach a maxima there).

2094059942_ScreenShot2021-06-28at9_37_36AM.thumb.png.14cd6c6396c70ad61fec218e915b8fd9.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Pretty crazy that Buffalo has never hit 100. I felt over 110 degrees in Arizona for the first time last month and it was insane how hot that felt. I love the heat but that was a little too much.