Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

49 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

:sizzle:

INZ028-029-035-036-043>045-051>053-122000-   WEST CENTRAL INDIANA     CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS  

CRAWFORDSVL + MOSUNNY 89 64 44 CALM 29.87F HX 90  

GREENCASTLE + FAIR 90 67 45 CALM 29.87F HX 93  

LAFAYETTE MOSUNNY 98 70 40 CALM 29.83F HX 105  

TERRE HAUTE NOT AVBL    

INZ030>032-037>040-046>048-054>057-064-065-122000-  CENTRAL INDIANA  CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS  
FRANKFORT + MOSUNNY 91 68 46 N5 29.86F HX 95  
GREENWOOD *+ PTSUNNY 90 69 48 SW3 29.87F HX 94  
INDIANAPOLIS PTSUNNY 92 63 38 NW9 29.86S HX 93  
-EAGLE CREEK MOSUNNY 92 67 43 VRB3 29.85F HX 95  
MARION + MOSUNNY 89 66 46 N5 29.87S HX 92  
MT COMFORT *+ PTSUNNY 91 73 55 CALM 29.87S HX 100  
SHELBYVILLE MOSUNNY 93 69 45 W8 29.85S HX 98

Didn't make 100 at LAF today, but there will be more opportunities if the sensor keeps running so far above everybody else.

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I always wanted a low of 102.

That forecast is kinda interesting.  You would expect bigger diurnal ranges in a climate like that, but I guess not.

I lived in a desert, non-UHI part of Arizona for a few years and was surprised that the average diurnal ranges where I lived were only about 25 in summer and 15-20 in winter.

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

122° but it only feels like 111°. I don't want to feel either of them.

They say that, but I was just there last month hiking inside the grand canyon where the thermometer was 116 inside the canyon floor. No such thing as dry heat, its hot as **** out there. I drank gallons of water and my body after 16 miles of hiking shut down. Took 3-4 hours after I finished to process water again. It was beginning stages of heat stroke. We passed a girl with 5 EMTS around her throwing up. She had to be carried out.

I saw this in Skillings page and thought it was interesting. That fire in Rockton IL was so hot and big it was intermittently blocking the heat signature from GOES-16.

https://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/satellite-blog/images/2021/06/210614_goes16_visible_shortwaveInfrared_firePower_fireTemperature_IL_chemical_plant_fire_anim.gif

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

They say that, but I was just there last month hiking inside the grand canyon where the thermometer was 116 inside the canyon floor. No such thing as dry heat, its hot as **** out there. I drank gallons of water and my body after 16 miles of hiking shut down. Took 3-4 hours after I finished to process water again. It was beginning stages of heat stroke. We passed a girl with 5 EMTS around her throwing up. She had to be carried out.

Dry heat is the biggest crock I've ever heard. In fact it's probably up there with sun angle in the Winter time as one of the most annoying weather phrases I hear. A former coworkers daughter lives in Phoenix and it is unbearable. Go out in the sun when it's 116 in the shade and tell me how comfortable it is lol.  I've always thought it was like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, dry heat is more comfortable than humid heat. But don't compare 88 and humid to a 115 and dry like they are on the same playing field lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wow. That's scary to be that close to heat stroke.

I actually experienced those temps one time 40 years ago when a friend and I spent 2 weeks in Scottsdale in July. The high temperatures ranged from 98-114 and the lows in the mid 80's. I didn't even exert myself and still could only take a couple of hours outside.

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Wow. That's scary to be that close to heat stroke.

I actually experienced those temps one time 40 years ago when a friend and I spent 2 weeks in Scottsdale in July. The high temperatures ranged from 98-114 and the lows in the mid 80's. I didn't even exert myself and still could only take a couple of hours outside.

I didn't even realize it until it was almost too late. I did the hike from 10 am to 8 pm which was a terrible idea. I've done many hikes over 16 miles in one day, but nothing in that kind of heat. Its never hit 100 here in Buffalo, my body isn't used to that kind of heat.

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Dry heat is the biggest crock I've ever heard. In fact it's probably up there with sun angle in the Winter time as one of the most annoying weather phrases I hear. A former coworkers daughter lives in Phoenix and it is unbearable. Go out in the sun when it's 116 in the shade and tell me how comfortable it is lol.  I've always thought it was like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, dry heat is more comfortable than humid heat. But don't compare 88 and humid to a 115 and dry like they are on the same playing field lol.

In my personal subjective experience, "dryness" is more of a comfort factor when the air temperature is below your body/skin temperature...  say 75-95 degrees.  When it gets to be 100 or above it's unpleasant no matter how dry.  A 90 degree day in Denver isn't horribly uncomfortable compared to the same in New Jersey... but neither are anywhere near 115 in Phoenix.  High dews are an annoying thing when the temperature is in the 80s, but once you get into the 100s it's more of a choose your poison thing.  You might get heat stroke faster if it's 105 with a 70 degree dewpoint, but if it's the same temp with a 40 degree dewpoint you dehydrate faster.

This couldn’t be more off topic - but wasn’t sure where else to put this.

I’m a frequent lurker and visit 100% on mobile. In the last week or so I’ve started getting incredibly intrusive ads that add a border around the page and make it nearly unusable. Eventually I can X out, but the ad will keep popping up. Anyone else have this issue? Can mods adjust this?

F71EF3A7-8E46-4209-BF0C-F5807C43EFEF.jpeg

Record shattering heat is forecast for the west and there are even numbers for Osoyoos BC that would match the all-time hottest Canadian temperature!! Some parts of the Northwest Territories could get in the upper 30s as well (that's near 100F) . I think this could be one of the deadliest Canadian weather events in quite some time.

Vancouver BC 7 Day:

utbs.png

A humidex forecast of 43 in Vancouver is absolutely insane, for perspective getting to 30C is very hard in that city and I think 35C is all-time record max.

Osoyoos BC 7 Day:

r3gw.png

I think its interesting that there is a chance of a shower on the hottest Canadian day :lol:. My urge to purchase a flight ticket to the west is growing - I could escape this huge rain event that lasts days and experience record shattering heat instead :guitar:.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/heat-dome-inflates-over-western-canada-the-harbinger-of-all-time-warmth

That condo collapse in Florida is bad.  Almost looks like the federal building in OKC after the bombing.  Happened at about the worst time of day too.  Hate to say it but it could end up being one of the worst accidental building collapses in US history.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That condo collapse in Florida is bad.  Almost looks like the federal building in OKC after the bombing.  Happened at about the worst time of day too.  Hate to say it but it could end up being one of the worst accidental building collapses in US history.

I can't imagine how horrible that must be, last I saw only one person -a three year old- was found. Imagine you're just sleeping the night away in your apartment, next to your spouse, only for the entire thing to collapse.

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

News reports say it had been sinking incrementally and unequally since the nineties.   built in 1981.

Forecast for Omak, WA…this is insane:

NWS Forecast for: Omak WA
Issued by: National Weather Service Spokane, WA
Last Update: 3:53 pm PDT Jun 24, 2021

Excessive Heat Warning

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. North wind 8 to 14 mph. 

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Breezy, with a north wind 13 to 18 mph. 

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. 

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 106. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. 

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 74. North wind 3 to 5 mph. 

Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 109.

Sunday Night: Clear, with a low around 74.

Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 112.

Monday Night: Clear, with a low around 76.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 112.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 75.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Forecast for Omak, WA…this is insane:

NWS Forecast for: Omak WA
Issued by: National Weather Service Spokane, WA
Last Update: 3:53 pm PDT Jun 24, 2021

Excessive Heat Warning

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. North wind 8 to 14 mph. 

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Breezy, with a north wind 13 to 18 mph. 

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. 

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 106. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. 

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 74. North wind 3 to 5 mph. 

Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 109.

Sunday Night: Clear, with a low around 74.

Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 112.

Monday Night: Clear, with a low around 76.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 112.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 75.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 110.

Not sure about their climo but I'm guessing that a buck ten doesn't come around very often.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

As buildings typically don’t just crumble in the US, regardless of the death toll, this will be one of the worst period.

An apartment building that collapsed in an instant, at night, with no warning is about as as apocalyptic as it gets. I expect we will hear of 60-70+ deaths as they work through the rubble. With the speed of the collapse, many of these victims were likely buried under tons and tons of rubble before they could have any idea what was happening. 

On 6/16/2021 at 12:25 AM, WaryWarren said:

But the desert offers such beautiful environs as these (Oh beautiful, for spacious skies):

nVH06KG.png

nqOsNdP.jpg

x5yerUZ.png

LUVQIJQ.png

j7txZ6K.jpg

Mormons are now praying for rain, that's some Incan Empire stuff.

On the flip side.....barely any trees or animals lost their habitat in these desert environments. As long as the water is there, it's probably lower than average impact on the planet.

I wish we gave incentives to people worldwide to not have kids.