Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

madwx

22 hours ago, laferri2 said:

I haven't experienced a real thunderstorm since I moved to Macomb County, MI eleven years ago.

I went to Michigan State from 02-07 and they had some awesome storms. For eleven years I've watched awesome storm systems roll off the lakes on the west side of the state and just absolutely die as soon as they hit the Oakland/Macomb county line. 

It's enough to make me think about buying a decent truck and spend a few weekends a summer chasing storms out on the west side. 

The west is definitely better than the east for the late evening to overnight complexes that roll in from Wisconsin.  Wisconsin itself is even better though, but hard to drive around a lake.  The other problem is the timing window is so small here.  Too early and storms struggle over the lake and only really erupt again around Lansing.  After 6pm they can go elevated more easily and survive the lake, but instability overall is waning.  Central and Eastern Michigan used to get supercells once in a while, but the shear just hasn't been around in a long time.

• Sad 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:04 PM, beavis1729 said:

^ Is that map relative to the new 1991-2020 normals? 

Would be interesting to see the same map, but vs. the 1961-1990 normals instead.  In some areas, 1991-2020 is 2-4F higher than 1961-1990, due to a combination of background warming and UHI.  I think the purples would become greens, and the greens would become yellows (in most areas).

Using NOAA data at 61-90, 71-00, 81-10, and 91-20 norms for the south central US for the avg anomaly (in K) for Jan-Apr.

() is the difference from previous norm.

61-90: 0.221

71-00: -0.091 (0.312)

81-10: -0.374 (0.283)

91-20: -0.535 (0.161) (0.756 from 61-90)

Maps above are in F, so can't compare these with those necessarily, as F uses smaller units compared to K/C units (which are the same size).

Have to use lat/long here, but basically its CO, KS, OK, NM, and TX. I already have data downloaded (1981-2010 base) for 7 sections of the US from a while ago, so I plugged in the coordinates I have for this section. When using lat/long, the area is bigger in the south, than the north areas because of the arc of the Earth. Unfortunately, I do pick up some of MX and CA in those sections, but it's all good.

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/testdap/timeseries.pl

Hope this helps. :)

@Hoosier @Chicago WX There was an interesting discussion concerning the LAF sensor on NWSChat today when the WTHR met questioned the temp issue:

(3:09 PM) wthr-ind-sean.ash: Is the LAF sensor operating correctly? I have noticed it's been several degrees hotter in recent, but attributed it to possibly drier soils up there.

(3:39 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: Hey, Sean. That's been going on for a good while now. Our techs have checked sensor calibration multiple times since last year, and even went ahead and replaced it once or twice, and the results have been the same. That has been a long term dry spot for the area, but it still seems stark. My completely wild guess supposition is that it's the dryness combined with land use changes around the airfield. The rerouting of US231 a few years back, additional building on the Purdue campus nearby. Can't think of anything else it could be.

(3:40 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: Chad Evans at WLFI has said it compares favorably to some of his observers in the area as well.

(3:42 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: The fact that the Crawfordsville-Tipton/Sugar Creek valley area is a bit of a relative cool spot makes it stand out more as well...especially Crawfordsville.

(3:49 PM) wthr-ind-sean.ash: Roger that. Just checking and all that makes sense. Good to know that Chad is getting some confirmation too. Thanks for responding and hope you're all doing well.

(3:50 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: Quite welcome. Likewise!

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

@Hoosier @Chicago WX There was an interesting discussion concerning the LAF sensor on NWSChat today when the WTHR met questioned the temp issue:

(3:09 PM) wthr-ind-sean.ash: Is the LAF sensor operating correctly? I have noticed it's been several degrees hotter in recent, but attributed it to possibly drier soils up there.

(3:39 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: Hey, Sean. That's been going on for a good while now. Our techs have checked sensor calibration multiple times since last year, and even went ahead and replaced it once or twice, and the results have been the same. That has been a long term dry spot for the area, but it still seems stark. My completely wild guess supposition is that it's the dryness combined with land use changes around the airfield. The rerouting of US231 a few years back, additional building on the Purdue campus nearby. Can't think of anything else it could be.

(3:40 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: Chad Evans at WLFI has said it compares favorably to some of his observers in the area as well.

(3:42 PM) nwsZID-joe.nield: The fact that the Crawfordsville-Tipton/Sugar Creek valley area is a bit of a relative cool spot makes it stand out more as well...especially Crawfordsville.

(3:49 PM) wthr-ind-sean.ash: Roger that. Just checking and all that makes sense. Good to know that Chad is getting some confirmation too. Thanks for responding and hope you're all doing well.

If Chad is their verification, well then :arrowhead:

I showed the analysis data back a page or two. It’s running warm. Find it a little hard to believe that newer construction is biasing it that much. Unless they poured asphalt right under the thermometer. :lol: But, who knows...

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Some of that conversation is chopped off on my end (not sure if it's just my phone) but I know LAF has not been a local dry spot of any significance.  In fact, IND actually has a larger precip deficit on the year than LAF.

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

We fixed it on Monday. Prior to that, it had been running noticeably warm even at night vs ORD and MDW.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Any plans to look into RFD?  Cause I think their all-timer of 112 could come under threat if we get a big heat wave.

5 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

To beat the LAF issue a little more, here's the average max temp for June through yesterday, for a few sites in Indiana. Yeah, nothing to see here. Chad says its legit. :fever:

BMG: 80.5

EVV: 81.5

FWA: 81.8

HUF: 82.5

IND 81.2

SBN: 84.8

LAF: 88.3

Currently 96 at LAF, vying to become the first 100 degree day since 2012.  :guitar:

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Currently 96 at LAF, vying to become the first 100 degree day since 2012.  :guitar:

:sizzle:

INZ028-029-035-036-043>045-051>053-122000-   WEST CENTRAL INDIANA     CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS  

CRAWFORDSVL + MOSUNNY 89 64 44 CALM 29.87F HX 90  

GREENCASTLE + FAIR 90 67 45 CALM 29.87F HX 93  

LAFAYETTE MOSUNNY 98 70 40 CALM 29.83F HX 105  

TERRE HAUTE NOT AVBL    

INZ030>032-037>040-046>048-054>057-064-065-122000-  CENTRAL INDIANA  CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS  
FRANKFORT + MOSUNNY 91 68 46 N5 29.86F HX 95  
GREENWOOD *+ PTSUNNY 90 69 48 SW3 29.87F HX 94  
INDIANAPOLIS PTSUNNY 92 63 38 NW9 29.86S HX 93  
-EAGLE CREEK MOSUNNY 92 67 43 VRB3 29.85F HX 95  
MARION + MOSUNNY 89 66 46 N5 29.87S HX 92  
MT COMFORT *+ PTSUNNY 91 73 55 CALM 29.87S HX 100  
SHELBYVILLE MOSUNNY 93 69 45 W8 29.85S HX 98

• Sad 1